one breast produces twice as much BM?

Old January 17th 06, 07:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default one breast produces twice as much BM?

Is it common that one breast will produce alot more milk than the other? My
right one consistantly puts out twice as much as the left. Just curious. I
guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't even know...

Betsy

Old January 17th 06, 08:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I don't know how common it is but my left one does just about twice as
much as my right. I think maybe becuase I'm right handed I would nurse
longer on my left side (and have my right hand free). So then she
began to favor the left breast. I didn't even think about it until I
started pumping and could see the difference!

Old January 17th 06, 10:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Is it common that one breast will produce alot more milk than the other?
My right one consistantly puts out twice as much as the left. Just
curious. I guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't even know...

absolutely normal, I notice it and I'm not pumping, I expect double is
abnormal, but mine must be in a similar ratio, left is my best, when I had
some undiagnosed but now vanished problem with my right shoulder and I just
fed on one side I had no problems, I pumped the right side for comfort, but
Ada had one bottle max and the rest got frozen. My left breast was
marginally bigger originally, but now if they are full, the difference is
very obvious,

Anne

Old January 17th 06, 10:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In message , oregonchick
writes
Is it common that one breast will produce alot more milk than the other? My
right one consistantly puts out twice as much as the left. Just curious. I
guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't even know...

Was for me. Right breast produced waaay more than left (I was pumping
too). And DD much preferred nursing on the right.
--
Mogget
Old January 18th 06, 07:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
"oregonchick" wrote:

Is it common that one breast will produce alot more milk than the other? My
right one consistantly puts out twice as much as the left. Just curious. I
guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't even know...

Yes! I have one that produces more and one with a stronger let-down!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old January 18th 06, 03:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Is it common that one breast will produce alot more milk than the other?
My right one consistantly puts out twice as much as the left. Just
curious. I guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't even know...

Betsy

I call my right boob "SUPERBOOB!" Way more output, and faster let down,
sometimes choking Madi. I try to put her on that one when she's really
awake...if she's sleepy she just can't keep up.

Old January 18th 06, 08:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Yes, it's common. It was this way for me for my first child. When I had
my second one, i purposefully made sure I offer her the other side more
often. I got equally from both sides the second time around.

Old January 19th 06, 10:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Is it common that one breast will produce alot more milk than the other?
My right one consistantly puts out twice as much as the left. Just
curious. I guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't even know...

My right breast consistently put out more than my left, in fact I was quite
lopsided for a while. Somewhere about the 8 month mark DD switched
preference and the left began producing more. Now at 18 months they're about
even. Perhaps one of your breasts responds better to the pump?

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old January 19th 06, 08:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Is it common that one breast will produce alot more milk than the other?
My right one consistantly puts out twice as much as the left. Just
curious. I guess if I wasn't pumping, I wouldn't even know...

Betsy

My left was always larger and a better producer, and now that I'm of
mammogram age, it's giving me problems. It simply has more ducts, more
tissue, and some lymph glands thrown in there for good measure.
I know this because I've had two level II mammograms and two ultrasounds on
it, and probably will have to do this every year.

Old January 20th 06, 11:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message
Mum of Two wrote:

My right breast consistently put out more than my left, in fact I was
quite lopsided for a while. Somewhere about the 8 month mark DD switched
preference and the left began producing more. Now at 18 months they're
about even. Perhaps one of your breasts responds better to the pump?

My right produces more than my left, and I have become increasingly
lopsided with each children. I can't quite decide if they prefer the
right because it produces more, or if it produces more because they prefer
it.

I never could figure that out either. My right definitely had a stronger
let-down to begin with, so I'd often begin a feed on the left side to avoid
choking her. It probably begins with a slight difference in production or
let-down, and their preference exaggerates it. I'm not sure how you explain
it with a pump though.