Celexa for PPD?

Old January 19th 06, 04:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Celexa for PPD?

I saw a doc today for the depression and she prescribed me 40mg of Celexa
even after we discussed Zoloft. The paper that came with the prescription
said in bold letters, "DO NOT USE WHEN BREASTFEEDING". Then I get home and
read things online that really freak me out. Now I don'y know what to
do-take the Celexa, try to push for a different drug, stop bf'ing, or tough
out the depression. Can anyone help?

Old January 19th 06, 04:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick wrote:
I saw a doc today for the depression and she prescribed me 40mg of Celexa
even after we discussed Zoloft. The paper that came with the prescription
said in bold letters, "DO NOT USE WHEN BREASTFEEDING". Then I get home and
read things online that really freak me out. Now I don'y know what to
do-take the Celexa, try to push for a different drug, stop bf'ing, or tough
out the depression. Can anyone help?

Did the doctor give you a reason why she wouldn't give you Zoloft?

Don't stop breastfeeding. I'd go to a different doctor over this. Why
force you to use an anti-depressant that's incompatible with BF when
there is one that is readily available that IS compatible with BF?
That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Hang in there, you've done the hardest part - admitting that you need
help. Now it's just a matter of getting you the right help.

I wish I could send you my zoloft - I have tons.

Amy

Old January 19th 06, 07:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message ...

I saw a doc today for the depression and she prescribed me 40mg of Celexa
even after we discussed Zoloft. The paper that came with the prescription
said in bold letters, "DO NOT USE WHEN BREASTFEEDING". Then I get home and
read things online that really freak me out. Now I don'y know what to
do-take the Celexa, try to push for a different drug, stop bf'ing, or tough
out the depression. Can anyone help?

I went armed with printouts from kellymom, I had a big debate but I came out
with the prescription of Zoloft (sertraline).

Andrea mom of 6 (and considering being sterilised)

Old January 19th 06, 10:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I saw a doc today for the depression and she prescribed me 40mg of Celexa
even after we discussed Zoloft. The paper that came with the prescription
said in bold letters, "DO NOT USE WHEN BREASTFEEDING". Then I get home and
read things online that really freak me out. Now I don'y know what to
do-take the Celexa, try to push for a different drug, stop bf'ing, or tough
out the depression. Can anyone help?

Did she know you were breastfeeding? If so, I agree you should find another
Dr. I'm off to see a new one on Tuesday and I'm going to ask for Zoloft.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old January 19th 06, 01:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

erm, that's a bit rubbish, Zoloft is the absolute best for breastfeeding as
it goes through to the milk the least, general opinion says it should be the
first drug you try

Anne

Old January 19th 06, 01:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

this is what kellymom says

Celexa has a 4.3-16 nanogram/kg blood plasma level, but transfer rate is
higher via milk. Use with caution and watch infant for side effects (per
Hale, "There have been two cases of excessive somnolence, decreased feeding,
and weight loss in breastfed infants.").

whereas for Zoloft it says

a.. Zoloft is the "best drug choice so far". It has a low, low transfer rate
to breastmilk (17-173 ug/liter) in mothers taking up to 150 mg/day. In one
excellent study of 11 mother/infant pairs, the zoloft was undetectable in 7
of the 11 breastfeeding infants' serum and minimal in the other infants. In
two other studies of one and three mother/infant pairs respectively, zoloft
was undetectable in the plasma of all 4 infants. A theoretical concern with
Zoloft is that some babies may not gain weight as rapidly or as well when
breastfed by moms on Zoloft; so weight gain should be monitored and dosage
tweaked as necessary.

Hale gives the hierachy of choice as follows, so Celexa is not the worst,
but not the best either, it should be used if there is a reason not to use
the others
a.. Zoloft
a.. Paxil
a.. Celexa
a.. Effexor
a.. Prozac

This is sad for me as my GP wasn't prepared to prescribe SSRIs at all whilst
I was breastfeeding, though he didn't suggest I stopped, but after
attempting something else he referred me to someone who should have known
better who gave me Prozac. I don't know if it caused any problems for baby I
was too ill to notice, Prozac did horrible things to me, not physical side
effect, but mental ones and after about 6 weeks I refused to take it, I went
drug free for a while, then nearly killed myself and then someone actually
decided to use their brain and find out what was the best drug for a
breastfeeding mum and I went on Zoloft, they say something like 6-8 weeks
for best effect, but honestly there was a pretty good effect within 2 weeks.

Anne

Old January 19th 06, 02:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

oregonchick wrote:
I saw a doc today for the depression and she prescribed me 40mg of Celexa
even after we discussed Zoloft. The paper that came with the
prescription
said in bold letters, "DO NOT USE WHEN BREASTFEEDING". Then I get home
and
read things online that really freak me out. Now I don'y know what to
do-take the Celexa, try to push for a different drug, stop bf'ing, or
tough
out the depression. Can anyone help?

Did the doctor give you a reason why she wouldn't give you Zoloft?

We never discussed Celexa, only Zoloft. Then she said she'd call the
prescription over to the pharmacy. I didn't know it was Celexa until I got
home. I haven't taken any, and plan to call the doctor to see if that's
really what she meant to prescribe.

I wish I could send you my zoloft - I have tons.

Uh, I'll send you my address?

Old January 19th 06, 02:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
"oregonchick" wrote in message
I saw a doc today for the depression and she prescribed me 40mg of Celexa
even after we discussed Zoloft. The paper that came with the prescription
said in bold letters, "DO NOT USE WHEN BREASTFEEDING". Then I get home
and read things online that really freak me out. Now I don'y know what to
do-take the Celexa, try to push for a different drug, stop bf'ing, or
tough out the depression. Can anyone help?

Did she know you were breastfeeding? If so, I agree you should find
another Dr. I'm off to see a new one on Tuesday and I'm going to ask for
Zoloft.

Yes. She was a midwife..

Old January 19th 06, 02:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
We never discussed Celexa, only Zoloft. Then she said she'd call the
prescription over to the pharmacy. I didn't know it was Celexa until I

got
home. I haven't taken any, and plan to call the doctor to see if that's
really what she meant to prescribe.

Maybe she made a mistake. Perhaps her drug of choice for depression is
Celexa and she is used to writing that particular prescription without
thinking. Can you not just call her and tell her that you thought she was
going to prescribed Zoloft? I wouldn't switch doctors, that seems totally
silly to me, but rather talk with her about it and see what happens at that
point.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 19th 06, 03:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I started on Lexapro (active ingredient of Celexa) when ds was 4 months
old. It worked great for me and he did great.
Hales only concern is somnolence in the newborn, my son showed no side
effects, he also didn't show any side effects from the occasional Xanax
or Klonopin I took.
I started on 10 of Lexapro and worked my way up to 20mg. I fully intend
on going back on it as soon as this baby is the same age (is usually
the time when I crash)

Take care.

Karen