automatic shut-off night light?

Old September 19th 03, 09:45 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default automatic shut-off night light?

I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after about
half an hour. My 2.5 yo always complains that it is "too dark" when we
first put him to bed, but then doesn't mind the dark in the middle of the
night. He shares a room with older brothers who don't share his assessment
of "too dark" so I'd like something that emits only a very small amount of
light. Also, if it faded out instead of just shutting straight off, that
would be perfect. Batteries would actually be more convenient than plug-in,
but either is fine. Anyone know of something like this?

Thanks,
--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old September 20th 03, 12:13 AM
Peggy Tatyana

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote:

I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after

about
half an hour. My 2.5 yo always complains that it is "too dark" when we
first put him to bed, but then doesn't mind the dark in the middle of the
night. He shares a room with older brothers who don't share his

assessment
of "too dark" so I'd like something that emits only a very small amount of
light. Also, if it faded out instead of just shutting straight off, that
would be perfect. Batteries would actually be more convenient than

plug-in,
but either is fine. Anyone know of something like this?

Thanks,
--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Seems to me the simplest thing would be a timer to plug the nightlight into.

Peggy

Old September 20th 03, 12:13 AM
Splanche

I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after about
half an hour.

How about getting a timer (like the ones you use for lights when you're on
vacation) and plugging a regular nightlite in to it?
- Blanche

Old September 20th 03, 10:05 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Robyn Kozierok wrote:
I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after about
half an hour. My 2.5 yo always complains that it is "too dark" when we
first put him to bed, but then doesn't mind the dark in the middle of the
night. He shares a room with older brothers who don't share his assessment
of "too dark" so I'd like something that emits only a very small amount of
light. Also, if it faded out instead of just shutting straight off, that
would be perfect. Batteries would actually be more convenient than plug-in,
but either is fine. Anyone know of something like this?

Lots of people have suggested getting a timer.
Another possibility is to get one of the electro-luminescent nightlights.
They cost a bit more (about $7 instead of $4) but take only about 0.1
watts of power (instead of 4 watts for the incandescent night
lights). They don't put out much light, but may be enough to comfort
a young child without disturbing an older one. They use so little
electricity (about 10 cents a year) that they can be left plugged in
all the time without guilt.

Our 7-year-old son has a 4-watt compact flourescent bulb lamp on his
bedside table, with a switch that he can reach from his bed. He can
turn it on or off as he finds convenient. This may be too bright for
most kids, but he has alwyas prefered going to sleep in a fairly well
lit room. When one of us stays with him to help him fall asleep
(usually me), we turn the light off, but usually when we get him up in
the morning the light is back on, because he turns it on if he wakes
up in the middle of the night.

The light is bright enough for him to read by, so we have to take away
his books at bed time, or he'd never sleep. We tried using a dimmer
night light, but he did not find it easy to go to sleep in the darker
room, and requested continuing to use the brighter light.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Old September 20th 03, 06:38 PM
Sue

Our plate that is afixed to the wall has a night light in it already. It
isn't very bright, but certainly helps with total darkness. Also, how about
a light that you can turn up or down.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old September 22nd 03, 03:11 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Peggy Tatyana wrote:
"Robyn Kozierok" wrote:

I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after

about
half an hour.

Seems to me the simplest thing would be a timer to plug the nightlight into.

The ones we've tried all make a humming or ticking sound that the kids
find objectionable.

--Robyn

Old September 22nd 03, 03:37 PM
Ann Porter

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote:

I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after

about
half an hour.

Didn't somebody post here once about a flashlight that you have to hold the
switch down to keep it turned on? Would that help?

Best,
Ann

Old September 22nd 03, 05:31 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Ann Porter wrote:
"Robyn Kozierok" wrote:

I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after
about
half an hour.

Didn't somebody post here once about a flashlight that you have to hold the
switch down to keep it turned on? Would that help?

No, not quite. I don't want him to actively be paying attention to it,
or that will distract him from getting to sleep. I just want it to shut
off once he does fall asleep.

He does have a flashlight that has an auto-shut-off after a few minutes, but
a) it's too short a time, and
b) it makes annoying animal sounds!

I did find a cool train toddler bed that has a built in auto-shut-off
night light I'm not sure we're really going to spend $200 on a toddler
bed...

--Robyn

night potty 'training' cara General 27 February 2nd 04 09:35 PM
Sleeping throught the night. esther323 General 12 December 5th 03 06:48 PM
Light so toddler can look around at night? Kooky45 General 12 November 24th 03 04:55 PM
writhing and crying in night Nevermind General 6 August 5th 03 06:16 AM
Screaming in the night (similar to crying in the night post) Sue General 1 August 4th 03 08:53 PM