My Daddy Misses Me posters

Old May 17th 07, 01:16 PM posted to alt.child-support
Beverly

Default My Daddy Misses Me posters

While I think this is a good idea, I'd definitely check with a lawyer
first. I know that there could be problems when publishing personally
identifiable information of a minor without parental consent. I
assume the parental consent must come from a parent who is legally
allowed to consent. You may need to limit your posters to those whose
NCP has joint legal custody, I don't know.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 09:16:02 -0600, John Meyer
wrote:

With the latest effort by the CSE in Virginia to track down low income
parents, I had an idea come to me as to how to counteract this. One of
the obstacles for a compatible list of "visitation violators" or
"parenting time purloiners" is the threat of a lawsuit for libel or
invasion of privacy, the things that interestingly enough the government
immunizes itself from.
Well, there are a couple of ways to prevent a lawsuit. The first is
to only put up posters of people who have flagrantly violated a court
order. This would have the advantage that it is backed up by a court
document, and therefore, qualified immunity applies. The only thing
that is bad with this, however, is that you would actually have to wait
for the courts to make this finding, and we all know how slow it is when
it comes to trivial issues like father's playing a role in their
children's lives other than "cash fund".
But libel law in the United States is rather generous in some other
ways. For instance, if the statement is a true opinion, you cannot be
sued for that. And a statement that says "My Daddy Misses Me" is just
that. The mother certainly isn't a psychic, and there's no way she can
make him testify against himself.
So what I came up with is a set of fliers labeled "My Daddy Misses Me"
that I'd love to distribute around or near the places propagating the
deadbeat lists. I've put up a mockup at
http://www.ncprevue.com/mydaddymissesme.pdf If anybody else has any
ideas about this, or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Beverly
Old May 17th 07, 02:13 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

Beverly wrote:
While I think this is a good idea, I'd definitely check with a lawyer
first. I know that there could be problems when publishing personally
identifiable information of a minor without parental consent. I
assume the parental consent must come from a parent who is legally
allowed to consent. You may need to limit your posters to those whose
NCP has joint legal custody, I don't know.

But Beverly, don' you know by default all the judges do JOINT LEGAL CUSTODY.
Old May 17th 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.child-support
Werebat

John Meyer wrote:
Beverly wrote:

While I think this is a good idea, I'd definitely check with a lawyer
first. I know that there could be problems when publishing personally
identifiable information of a minor without parental consent. I
assume the parental consent must come from a parent who is legally
allowed to consent. You may need to limit your posters to those whose
NCP has joint legal custody, I don't know.

But Beverly, don' you know by default all the judges do JOINT LEGAL CUSTODY.

Yes but I suspect consenting NCPs would get a quick schooling in just
how little this means if CPs complained about their kids' pictures being
put up in public (in a way that casts the family courts in a negative
light).

But you already know this.

- Ron ^*^

Old May 18th 07, 07:13 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

Werebat wrote:

John Meyer wrote:
Beverly wrote:

While I think this is a good idea, I'd definitely check with a lawyer
first. I know that there could be problems when publishing personally
identifiable information of a minor without parental consent. I
assume the parental consent must come from a parent who is legally
allowed to consent. You may need to limit your posters to those whose
NCP has joint legal custody, I don't know.

But Beverly, don' you know by default all the judges do JOINT LEGAL
CUSTODY.

Yes but I suspect consenting NCPs would get a quick schooling in just
how little this means if CPs complained about their kids' pictures being
put up in public (in a way that casts the family courts in a negative
light).

But you already know this.

- Ron ^*^

Like I say, only bisexuals get it both ways, and who said anything about
this ending up in FAMILY court? I have a fairly good relationship with
my ex, but if we were at loggerheads over this and I had to resort to
this to enforce my rights, the last place I would let it be heard is in
family court. At the most I demand a jury trial and let everything be
heard by a court of my peers. And like Tom Martino says when somebody
threatens to sue him, "discovery is a bitch".
This I think would particularly hold up if you have an order of custody
and/or visitation rights, which is what I initially said you should
limit it to. Privacy is not a right to violate the law and get away
with it.