Good solid Winter t's?

Old October 14th 03, 09:12 PM
P. Tierney

Default Good solid Winter t's?

At a used place, we bought a nice House of Hattan/Beautiful Beginnings
dress that included an undershirt. It's a nice solid t-shirt, long sleeve,
somewhat high neck, quite warm. It's a designer brand, I think, and one
that I can't find online. I'm not sure if I would want too, given the
potential price.

Anyway, any tips on either finding this, or recommending another
(non-Wal Mart) brand? Something good to walk around the house,
or outside with a jacket, in the cold weather is all I'm after. Thx.

P. Tierney

Old October 14th 03, 09:51 PM
HollyLewis

At a used place, we bought a nice House of Hattan/Beautiful Beginnings
dress that included an undershirt. It's a nice solid t-shirt, long sleeve,
somewhat high neck, quite warm. It's a designer brand, I think, and one
that I can't find online. I'm not sure if I would want too, given the
potential price.

I think you have to look in little boutiquey type stores for this brand, but
you could try eBay for more used ones.

Anyway, any tips on either finding this, or recommending another
(non-Wal Mart) brand? Something good to walk around the house,
or outside with a jacket, in the cold weather is all I'm after. Thx.

Land's End has good quality winter tees. If you want a high neck, look for a
mock or a turtleneck rather than the regular crew neck t-shirts. Definitely
pricier than Wal Mart, but not as outrageously priced as the boutique brands --
and you can get good deals in the Overstocks section.

If you're willing to go more expensive, try Hanna Anderssen.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old October 14th 03, 09:52 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

P. Tierney wrote:

At a used place, we bought a nice House of Hattan/Beautiful Beginnings
dress that included an undershirt. It's a nice solid t-shirt, long sleeve,
somewhat high neck, quite warm. It's a designer brand, I think, and one
that I can't find online. I'm not sure if I would want too, given the
potential price.

Anyway, any tips on either finding this, or recommending another
(non-Wal Mart) brand? Something good to walk around the house,
or outside with a jacket, in the cold weather is all I'm after. Thx.

You might try at Dharma Trading Company:

http://www.dharmatrading.com

Their stock changes and I'm not sure what they have now. I
know they pretty much always have the Hanes Beefy t-shirts,
which are nice and thick, but I don't know if they come
in a long-sleeved version. Also, what they have will be plain
white cotton. The good news, however, is that they specialize
in dyes and fabric paints and such, so you can have fun dying,
tie-dying, or painting the shirts. (Check out the dye-impregnated
strings for muss-free tie-dying.)

Hope this helps,
Ericka

I live driving distance to Dharma Trading Company's store. I have to
padlock my wallet when I get a chance to stop there!

Their stuff is magnificent.

meh

Old October 15th 03, 05:12 AM
chiam margalit

dragonlady wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

P. Tierney wrote:

[...]

She ain't whistling Dixie. When I discovered we were close to the
store, I only took my debit card because I knew how dangerous this
could be. :-) They have great T's and it's fun to dye them and batik
them. In fact, right behind me I've got a table full of dyes waiting
to be batiked onto 3 long sleeved t-shirts for each of us. We're
making our own *Cowboy Up* T's. :-)

Marjorie

meh

Old October 15th 03, 07:18 AM
P. Tierney

"chiam margalit" wrote:

She ain't whistling Dixie. When I discovered we were close to the
store, I only took my debit card because I knew how dangerous this
could be. :-) They have great T's and it's fun to dye them and batik
them. In fact, right behind me I've got a table full of dyes waiting
to be batiked onto 3 long sleeved t-shirts for each of us. We're
making our own *Cowboy Up* T's. :-)

Can't argue with a Boston fan. Did you get your dyes there
too? And what does it mean to "batik" them? Thx.

P.
Tierney

Old October 15th 03, 02:34 PM
Ericka Kammerer

P. Tierney wrote:

"chiam margalit" wrote:

She ain't whistling Dixie. When I discovered we were close to the
store, I only took my debit card because I knew how dangerous this
could be. :-) They have great T's and it's fun to dye them and batik
them. In fact, right behind me I've got a table full of dyes waiting
to be batiked onto 3 long sleeved t-shirts for each of us. We're
making our own *Cowboy Up* T's. :-)

Can't argue with a Boston fan. Did you get your dyes there
too? And what does it mean to "batik" them? Thx.

Don't know about Marjorie, but I get my dyes there
(might as well when I'm already paying shipping for the
clothing blanks and the dyes weigh almost nothing ;-)
Their dyes are great--much better than the Rit dyes from
the grocery store. Mostly I just use the three basic
dyes and mix colors from there, unless I have some need
to be able to match colors in the future.
I found them the first time when I was doing a
"Blast!" (as in the musical) party for my (then) 4yo.
He was fascinated with the musical, so we decided to do
a party at the dance studio with Blast!-ish dancing, etc.
For favors, I figured I'd make Blast! costumes for folks,
and this was a cheap way to do it. I got cropped tank
tops and dyed them in a rainbow of colors with matching
scarves (to use instead of flags, which seemed like a
dangerous proposition with a room full of young kids).
Each kid had a different color. We had great fun dying
things, it wasn't very expensive, and the kids loved it.

(If you haven't see Blast!, here's a link for info:
http://www.blasttheshow.com/blast.html -- you can
see pictures under "north american tour" and then
"multimedia". If you ever have a chance to take
your child to see it, it's an amazing show for all
ages--*well* worth the ticket price.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 15th 03, 06:56 PM
jmorgan

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

P. Tierney wrote:

[...]

I've batiked shirts, onesies and toddler dresses and gotten most of my
supplies from Dharma - lots of fun, good reliable company with lots to
choose from! Tie-dyed/batiked clothes make fun, inexpensive gifts, I've
given a lot away at baby showers and even sold a few.

cara

Old October 15th 03, 07:41 PM
Laura Faussone

"P. Tierney" wrote:

Did you get your dyes there
too? And what does it mean to "batik" them? Thx.

You create a design on the fabric with wax or another resist (there are
some washer-friendly ones available now) before you dye the fabric. The
dye goes everywhere except where the resist is. You can also get dyes at
www.prochemical.com -- they're on the east coast.

Dyeing can be quite addicting ... I did some onesies using the shaving
cream dyeing technique.

Laura