Thimerosal (Mercury) Exposure during Pregnancy Linked to Autistic Disorders

Old May 18th 07, 03:32 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
john

Default Thimerosal (Mercury) Exposure during Pregnancy Linked to Autistic Disorders

Thimerosal (Mercury) Exposure during Pregnancy Linked to Autistic Disorders

Press Release Contact:

For Immediate Release CoMeD Director [Rev. Sykes (Richmond,
VA) 804-364-8426]

May 18, 2007 CoMeD Sci. Advisor [Dr. King
(Lake Hiawatha, NJ) 973-997-1321]

WASHINGTON, DC - In the May 2007 issue of the Journal of Maternal-Fetal and
Neonatal Medicine
(http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...b=all~order=pa
ge), the official journal of the European Association of Perinatal
Medicine, the Federation of Asia and Oceania and Perinatal Societies, and
the International Society of Perinatal Obstetricians, a new study, "A
Prospective Study of Thimerosal-Containing Rho(D)-Immune Globulin
Administration as a Risk Factor for Autistic Disorders," was published by
Dr. Mark R. Geier (President, the Genetic Centers of America) and David A.
Geier (Vice-President, the Institute of Chronic Illnesses). This new study
shows that administration of Thimerosal-preserved Rho(D)-immune g lobulin
preparations during pregnancy significantly increases the risk for
offspring developing autistic disorders. This finding is consistent with
previously published research by Dr. Amy Holmes, Mark Blaxill, and Dr. Boyd
Haley in the International Journal of Toxicology (2003), and refutes the
recent study funded by Johnson & Johnson (a maker of Rho(D)-immune
globulins) that failed to find an association between Thimerosal-preserved
Rho(D)-immune globulins and autistic disorders.

Since the late 1980s, Rho(D)-immune globulin preparations have been
routinely administered to Rh-negative women in the US during pregnancy at
28 weeks gestation, a prenatal period corresponding to damage occurring in
the fetal brain, that has been associated with autistic disorders.
Unfortunately, until 2001, some formulations of Rho(D)-immune globulins
manufactured for the US market contained Thimerosal, a mercury-containing
compound (49.6% mercury by weight). As a result, administration of
Thimerosal-preserved Rho(D)-immune globulins exposed Rh-negative pregnant
women to bolus doses of mercury ranging from 10.5 t o greater than 30
micrograms mercury per administration at critical prenatal developmental
periods. In some cases, Rh-negative women received several Rho(D)-immune
globulins during their pregnancy. In addition, if the fetus was
Rh-positive, the mother was administered another Rho(D)-immune globulin
after birth. When that infant was breastfed, then, that infant would
receive another significant mercury exposure.

In this new study, the researchers examined a total of 53 non-Jewish
Caucasian patients with a diagnosis of an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD),
born from 1987 through 2001, who prospectively presented to the Genetic
Centers of America for outpatient genetic/developmental evaluations from
June 1, 2005 through March 31, 2006. Imaging and laboratory testing were
conducted to rule-out other causal factors for their ASDs. As race-matched
controls, the frequency of Rh-negativity was determined from 926 non-Jewish
Caucasian pregnant women who presented for outpatient prenatal genetics
care to the Genetic Centers of America between 1980 and 1989. Children with
a diagnosis of an ASD were more than twice as likely to have an Rh-negative
mo ther than the controls. Each ASD patient with an Rh-negative mother was
administered a Thimerosal-preserved Rho(D)-immune globulin during her
pregnancy. These researchers concluded that their results provide insights
into the causal role prenatal mercury exposure may play in some children
diagnosed with autistic disorders.

Note: For those who wishing to confirm, whether or not, their child is
mercury poisoned, they may want to have a urine porphyrin profile analysis
(UPAA) test done. For more information, visit the Coalition for
Mercury-free Drugs (CoMeD)'s web site:

http://www.Mercury-freeDrugs.org

http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/A Prospective Study of Rho Immune Globulin as
a Risk Factor for Autism1.pdf

Old May 18th 07, 06:46 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Robert Watson

This is garbage.

Basically, it is an ad to have a useless lab test (UPAA).

If you ever get a half a brain, you should be able to figure it out.
Old May 18th 07, 07:00 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
john

"Robert Watson" wrote in message
This is garbage.

Basically, it is an ad to have a useless lab test (UPAA).

If you ever get a half a brain, you should be able to figure it out.

oh yeah, of course, how naive of me

you only need 2 brain cells to see vaccine mercury is the main cause of
autism

maybe you have too many

talking of useless tests, this is how you quacks make out mercury doesn't
cause autism http://www.whale.to/vaccine/wagnitz.html

Old May 21st 07, 06:15 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
[email protected]

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/wagnitz.html

Okay. I read it. Excerpt:

"... research has shown that autistic kids do not excrete mercury
efficiently. The hair would not contain any measurable amounts of
mercury"

I've seen that study. And it puzzles me how SafeMinds has
enthusiastically seized upon it in light of their own past
assertions. After all, it was HIGH levels of mercury in the hair of
an autistic child that launched what became SafeMinds in the first
place.

Check this out:
http://www.thinktwice.com/Merc_Med.pdf

That's SafeMinds president Lyn Redwood testifying before Congress in
2000 about how HIGH levels of mercury in her son's hair proved that
mercury causes autism.

"Heavy metal analysis detected 4.8 parts per million mercury in his
hair, the allowable levels being less than 1 part per million...
Since my son has never eaten fish nor seafood nor had dental amalgams,
I had no other identifiable source for his mercury levels outside of
the thimerosal exposure from his vaccines and my RhoGAM injections."

That is, far from being inefficient hair excretors, it appears from
her own testimony that her autistic son's hair follicles were champion
mercury excretors.

Cut to 2004. Here she is again testifying before Congress in 2004,
this time claiming that LOW levels of mercury in the hair of autistics
is proof that mercury causes autism.

http://www.safeminds.org/pressroom/p...yfullfinal.pdf

Okay. So which is it? Can our autistic kids excrete mercury, or
can't they? And what does it prove if they can or can't?

I asked David Kirby this question at local forum where he was flogging
his book (Evidence of Harm). He couldn't explain it. All he could do
was lamely restate the obvious and scientifically meaningless
observation that "some autistic kids have high levels, and some have
low".

Uh huh. And he might just as well have added "... and some have
normal levels". Like my autistic son.

Prediction: a study will find that distribution of hair mercury levels
in autistic kids matches the distribution in other kids, and SafeMinds
will come up with a theory about how THAT proves mercury causes
autism.

Not only is SafeMinds selective about which facts it accepts, it
actively discards inconvenient facts that it previously accepted --
even facts that the organization was built on in the first place --
not because those facts themselves are incorrect, but simply because
those facts contradict their latest theory.

That's bad science. But it evidently takes more the 2 brain cells to
recognize that.

Old May 22nd 07, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Mark Probert

wrote:
[...]

That is precisely the reason I refer to themas NoMinds. One cell does
not make a mind.

Old May 22nd 07, 05:06 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Peter Bowditch

This is garbage.

Basically, it is an ad to have a useless lab test (UPAA).

If you ever get a half a brain, you should be able to figure it out.

oh yeah, of course, how naive of me

you only need 2 brain cells to see vaccine mercury is the main cause of
autism

Not according to Dr Wakefield. Have you told him he is wrong?

--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old May 23rd 07, 04:58 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
john

wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.whale.to/vaccine/wagnitz.html

That's SafeMinds president Lyn Redwood testifying before Congress in
2000 about how HIGH levels of mercury in her son's hair proved that
mercury causes autism.

Cut to 2004. Here she is again testifying before Congress in 2004,
this time claiming that LOW levels of mercury in the hair of autistics
is proof that mercury causes autism.

http://www.safeminds.org/pressroom/p...yfullfinal.pdf

Assuming you are right.
So what? Does that mean mercury is safe and doesn't cause autism?

Old May 25th 07, 08:14 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,talk.politics.medicine,uk.people.health
Mercury.sailor

On May 21, 1:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

I am a Rhogam mom, My son does not have autism. I also had my sons
baby hair tested for mercury, it was 13.78 mcg. This was for a 6 month
old infant. Does this mean my son excretes mercury? I dont think so.
This just shows the high levels that were in his blood at the time.

In Japan at the Institute of Minamata Disease, They check for mercury
via hair samples. It is the most accurate way to show mercury for the
past few months.

What I have come to conclude from my studies...Some kids can not
excrete mercury at all(They would be children VERY disabled, Cerebral
Palsy, Microcephaly, ect) Some excrete a little mercury, They too
would be very disabled. Some are slow excreters, some are fast
excreters.

In Japan when there was the huge mercury poisoning outbreak, NOT all
the children were born disabled, yet they ate the same fish from the
same waters. So this means there had to be a genetic link where the
kids could not excrete the mercury. This is significant, because some
say its the "dose" that makes the poison. The Japan study proves that
its not the dose that made the poison or ALL the children would have
been born disabled.

Its like smoking ciggarettes, some develop cancer. Some can smoke 60
years and never develop cancer, yet someone else could develop cancer
just from second hand smoke.

I think where the Autism group is wrong, is that they believe thier
children can not excrete mercury. I believe for the most part they are
good excreters, But were dosed enough with mercury to cause Autism. If
they were not excreters, They would be excreting a lot of mercury when
they chelate, and I havent seen that happening, Although they do get
thier kids to rid thier bodies of some mercury. Nothing compared with
what they were injected with.

Mercury in the Rhogam has been proven to cause severe mental
retardation in unborn children.

Bayer made Rhogam, Bayer in 2003

Petitioned OEHHA to take thimerosal/mercury off the list of
reproductive toxins,

Here is OEHHA reply to Bayer.

OEHHA (Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assesment) reports;

"The scientific evidence that PMA and Thimerosal cause reproductive
toxcitity is CLEAR and VOLUMINOUS.

The evidence for its reproductive toxcitity includes severe mental
retardation or malformations in human offspring who were poisoned
when thier mothers were exposed to ethylmercury or thimerosal while
pregnant."

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/CRNR_...p/hgbayer1.pdf