traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

Old January 4th 04, 01:19 AM
mbajema

Default traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

(CBI) wrote in message . com...
(Hillary Israeli) wrote in message ...
In ,
dragonlady wrote:

*I used to drive from Massachusetts to Minnesota and back every summer by
*going up through Canada. I made the trip with the kids, and often drove
*one way or the other without DH. I never carried anything to "prove" I
*had the right to have the kids without DH, I never carried anything
*other than my driver's license as ID, I never carried *anything* showing
*the kids' IDs, and I never had any problems at any boarder crossing.

I know two unrelated people who HAVE had problems at the border crossing
between the US and Canada with respect to moving a kid across without both
parents present. This is a huge issue these days and your experience, if

I don't know about crossing the borders with the US and Canada but I
do know that the US airlines often require a notarized letter from the
other parent if only one parent is travelling with the kids.

When my wife tried it I was standing right there seeing them off. I
had photo ID and if I was going that would have been the end of it.
They made us wait while they called their notary over and then charged
a fee to notarize a note that I wrote in hand for them at the check-in
counter.

I also know that these types of rules are often changed and variably
enforced. So no matter what someone told me over the phone or what I
have done successfully in the past if I was travelling alone with the
kids I would carry some type of proof that I have the right to do so -
preferrably a notarized legal document.

Fwiw, I called the airline my daughter and I will be flying on when we
go to Texas next month. The woman on the other end said that unless
we were going to go to Mexico we wouldn't need a notorized letter
signed by my husband. I think for safety's sake we may go ahead and
do this anyway. Better to be prepared and not need it than the
alternative.

Mary
Old January 4th 04, 05:17 PM
Penny Gaines

Bill Fischer wrote in :

Going through customs can present a problem. Your attention is directed
to the process, paperwork and the baggage check. If this one year old is
walking, he could wander off.

That's where a stroller, harness or backback would come in handy.

I like the idea of the harness. The child remains securely tethered to
his parent. Some parents are totally opposed to a harness because they
liken it to putting a leash on an animal. I guess my first thought would
be to the child's safety.

You could get an extremely simple wrist-strap type harness and keep it in
a pocket in case it was needed. It would hardly take up and space.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old January 4th 04, 11:49 PM
JG

"Bill Fischer" wrote in message
toypup wrote:

For heaven's sake, take this long-ago-turned-ridiculous (and waaaay OT)
discussion/debate/"WELL, *my* advice is..." thread off misc.kids.health!

....*PLEASE*...