Thumb Guard

Old March 25th 04, 02:13 AM
H Schinske

Default Thumb Guard

The directions say to use it for both thumbs, but I chose to just use it on
the thumb that she sucks. So far, so good! I suppose she could switch
thumbs and in that case, we'd use both.

My kids had a *really* strong preference (except as small babies, when they
went back and forth between thumbs, two fingers, whatever). I think it wouldn't
have "worked" for them to suck the other thumb.

--Helen

Old March 25th 04, 07:40 PM
H Schinske

Were you the
one who was saying that if thumb sucking stops early enough that teeth can
actually correct themselves? Have you seen that phenomenon with Mariel?

Okay, I'm not related to Mariel, but my daughter's teeth and palate reformed
*markedly* after she quit sucking her thumb at seven, and before any
orthodontic work was done. In fact the orthodontist refused to even start
working with her until after her mouth had settled down, so to speak. She got
*much* better tooth contact between her back teeth, even (it turned out she'd
hardly had any, the orthodontist said he didn't see how she had been able to
chew at all).

She's still needed some orthodontic work, certainly, but not nearly as much as
would have been necessary if her mouth had been stuck the way the thumbsucking
had formed it.

--Helen

Old March 25th 04, 11:59 PM
Seth Jackson

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:42:14 GMT, "looneybird"
wrote:

"Seth Jackson" wrote in message
.. .

I'm glad it's working for you. It was so exciting for us to see our
daughter break this habit.

I can really relate to that. She actually seems happier. As I think I said
before, I sucked my thumb until I was 13. It became torture to me...
knowing that I should stop, and feeling that guilt and embarrassment. I
don't want Jenna to go through that. Not to mention the orthodontic
problems that it caused me.

We were motivated into action after taking Mariel to her first dentist
appt. The dentist told us that she has a significant overbite for
someone her age.

We just added the kids onto the dental plan, so I plan to take them very
soon to the dentist for the first time. Their teeth seem healthy, but Jenna
has a noticeable overbite with a gap between the front teeth. DH thinks
they look fine, but they are quite different from my son's. I was looking
at the pictures of your children (they are so beautiful, btw) and notice the
same thing with your kids. Your son's teeth look perfect, but Mariel's have
a similar look as Jenna's (although not as bad as Jenna's).

Mariel does have a slight space between her teeth, although I'm not
sure whether or not that attributable to thumb-sucking. I have a
similar space, so it might be genetic. OTOH, I sucked my thumb till I
was 5, so I may have gotten it that way.

Were you the
one who was saying that if thumb sucking stops early enough that teeth can
actually correct themselves? Have you seen that phenomenon with Mariel?

It wasn't me who said it, but I hope it's true. It's probably too
soon to notice any change in Mariel.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...lypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net