Difference between Asthma and Bronchitis in Toddlers

Old November 1st 05, 01:33 AM

Default Difference between Asthma and Bronchitis in Toddlers

Hello All,

I have a two year old son who had three episodes of bronchitis within
last twelve months. In the nutshell, all three cases (March, June,
October of 2005) occurred after viral infections (he goes to child care
with 20 other kids - needles to say, he gets sick often). The doctor
prescribed Albuterol all three times and the problems would go away
after a week or so. On one occasion we eneded up in the ER since he
struggled for breath so much that we were afraid that he might be
seriously hurt (they put him on an alubterol inhalator).

So, during the latest visit (today) the doc said that he's concerned
that he might be developing Asthma which freaked us out (the parents).

It'd be great if someone can help me understand the likelihood of him
actually having Asthma. Also, is there a site that spells out the
difference between the two diseases (Asthma and Bronchitis)?

I'd appreciate any additional comment or advice.

Best,

Vasa

Old November 1st 05, 01:32 PM
CWatters

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All,

I have a two year old son who had three episodes of bronchitis within
last twelve months. In the nutshell, all three cases (March, June,
October of 2005) occurred after viral infections (he goes to child care
with 20 other kids - needles to say, he gets sick often). The doctor
prescribed Albuterol all three times and the problems would go away
after a week or so. On one occasion we eneded up in the ER since he
struggled for breath so much that we were afraid that he might be
seriously hurt (they put him on an alubterol inhalator).

So, during the latest visit (today) the doc said that he's concerned
that he might be developing Asthma which freaked us out (the parents).

Modern meds are wonderful so don't panic too much. I have mild Asthma. I
wasn't diagnosed until I was 30 ish but looking back I think it wasn't
recognised when I was younger.

Try this site/org for information...
http://www.asthma.org.uk/
and
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/48703-3.asp

If you are prone to asthma several different things can bring on an attack.
Exercise, illness, stress and allergy are the most common (in roughly that
order). If your son starts to sound crackly or coughs after exercise (when
he doesn't have a cold) or coughs a lot in the evening when he's tired then
that might be an indication that he has asthma. ... but as that second link
says it can be tricky to diagnose.

For info - the problem is breathing out not breathing in. Stress - including
that caused by other people panicking - also makes things worse, so if he
does have an attack it's important to keep him calm, dim the lights etc.

Some asthma sufferers are sensitive to sulphur. I'm allergic to Sodium
Metabisulphite which is used as a preservative in some children's drinks
(typically lemon squash). It's also sold as a sterilising agent for cleaning
baby bottles! (and wine bottles). It's easily avoided and worth doing so in
my view.

Colin

Old November 1st 05, 08:28 PM
john

avoid drugs as they can cause asthma, eg vaccines and antibiotics for
starters http://www.whale.to/y/asthma.html

also meningitis and polio can be caused by vaccines
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/meningitis.htm

junk food depresses the immune system, eg sugar, so avoid that, and
avoid aspartame

look into nutritional medicine, homeopathy and naturopathic herbalism
http://www.whale.to/w/therapies.html

I have a friend whose kid developed life threatening asthma from a
vaccine, by the way.

avoid chlorinated water or flourinated water, use filters
http://www.whale.to/w/haz.html

Old November 1st 05, 09:32 PM
john

PS, I collected some poison infection connections
http://www.whale.to/v/poisons.html notice paracetamol

and one solution is nutrition http://www.whale.to/a/nutrition.html

Old November 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
Jeff

"john" wrote in message
ups.com...
avoid drugs as they can cause asthma, eg vaccines and antibiotics for
starters http://www.whale.to/y/asthma.html

Well, you can't get astma if you are dead.

also meningitis and polio can be caused by vaccines
http://www.whale.to/vaccines/meningitis.htm

Polio is not caused by the inactivated polio vaccine used in the US and
other countries. And polio has been eliminated from most of the world by
vaccines.

junk food depresses the immune system, eg sugar, so avoid that, and
avoid aspartame

Are you saying that an example of the immune system is sugar? I think not. I
am not in favor of eating more sugar, but it is not part of the immune
system.

look into nutritional medicine, homeopathy and naturopathic herbalism
http://www.whale.to/w/therapies.html

I did. They don't work (except to make money for quacks).

I have a friend whose kid developed life threatening asthma from a
vaccine, by the way.

avoid chlorinated water or flourinated water, use filters
http://www.whale.to/w/haz.html

I drink chlorinated water. I hate bacteria and viruses that cause vomiting,
diarrhea and other things.

Jeff

Old November 3rd 05, 06:02 PM
john

your fit the profile of a psychopath Jeff, people with No Conscience.
Business before Children. No Sympathy. Reptiles. You should drink
chlorine, your kind talk ****, so eat it too.

cheers