high doses of lidocaine

Old August 7th 06, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Dagny

Default high doses of lidocaine

Has anyone faced breastfeeding after large doses of lidocaine? I'm having a
procedure done twice, one week apart, involving about 250mL of lidocaine
injected subcutaneously each time. (This is MUCH MUCH more than a dental
procedure which might involve injecting 3-7mL, perhaps).

I am aware that lidocaine is considered compatible with breastfeeding, but I
also know there are some who do not accept this without some doubt and are
concerned about the effect of what is really a nervous system toxin (hence
its use as an anesthetic) on developing nervous systems. I do vaguely
remember reading a study which called into question its safety in terms of
long term developmental issues in fetuses.

My children are 1.5 and 2.75 years old so I can delay nursing if necessary,
and can borrow a pump if I decide to delay until the next day. The 2 year
old won't have a problem waiting until the next morning. The 1.5 year old
will not like it one bit, but can handle it. I won't be able to sleep
without pumping as I will get painfully engorged by about midnight if I
don't nurse after the procedure.

Half life is 1.5-2 hours.

Breast milk concentrations seem to be about .4 serum concentration.

If anyone has done more or better research than this and/or made her own
judgment call, PLEASE respond.

-- Dagny

Old August 8th 06, 12:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

If anyone has done more or better research than this and/or made her own
judgment call, PLEASE respond.

interesting, I was going to have a procedure which involved a local
anaethsetic, not sure if it was lidocaine, it wasn't going to by
subcutaneously, though, but into a joint (or a space between them, I get
confused), I wasn't expecting any problems with nursing, the thing that
might have caused the problem would have been had they had to give me
anything like vallium whilst they were doing the procedure.

In general my feeling is that doing something once is a whole lot different
to doing it regularly, so even if the kids got a bigger exposure this one
time, that's got to be better than having a much smaller exposure day in day
out, so in this case, I don't know what I'd do, I'm guessing that more is
going to get into the blood stream subcutaneously than in to a joint, but it
can't be massively much either as otherwise you'd be having problems. Have
you checked Hale's website? is there a professional who could ask a question
on there for you?

Anne