Expecting Twins: What Do I Need?

Old June 21st 04, 08:26 PM
Catherine

Default Expecting Twins: What Do I Need?

Hi Jennifer,

I see the group has been giving you great ideas. For me, my twins are
12 weeks old the things that have helped me most are the following.

1. Cloth diapers that are used for burb rags.
2. Twin stroller that the car seats snap into. I have a graco
duoglider with stadium seating.
3. If people are going to buy you diapers, tell them size one. people
think that since you are having twins, they will automatically be
preemies and this may not be the case.
4. My babies lived in onsies. We really did not go anywhere so I saw
no need for clothes that early on. I agree with someone who said the
night gowns where good for no snaps at night.
5. A good breast pump if you are going to breastfeed and bottles if
you are going to just pump and feed. This is what I do and it is much
easier to be able to make up the bottles for the feeding a head of
time. I prefered the platex nursers.
6.I have 2 bouncers..the babies love them. However, I only have one
swing. it seems to be no need for another one.

I do have 2 cribs, but the babies are yet to sleep in them. We have a
up stairs/downstairs and the babies room is up stairs and ours down.
So for now, they have lived in a pac-n-play that has a bassinett to
it. I love it.

Nothing more I can think of that hasn't already been said.

Catherine

Old June 28th 04, 12:46 PM
Allyson Edwards

First off, CONGRATS!

I saw it posted here already but wanted to reinforce....
A WIPE WARMER!
I had mine for a couple of weeks before I decided to use it. Once I did, I
couldnt believe the difference. Changing a baby can be a hassle at times,
but it makes it so much easier when you touch them with a warm cloth opposed
to a cold one. You don't waste money on the tubs of wipes either. Just buy
the refill bags and refill the warmer when it runs out. Just when you
thought you've bought enough wipes, BUY MORE!!!
Also, a hair dryer dedicated to the changing station. Works every time for
us. Just turn that sucker on low and it calms them down immediately.
I bought the "For Crying Out Loud" cd. It has 8 tracks of white noise
(washing machine, restaurant setting, windshield wipers, ocean, etc). They
truly love it, as do I.
What helped me along when i was alone was the boppy. I have two. Prop up a
baby in each one so you can dual feed (bottles-I pump exclusively). Its
better for them to sit up and eat instead of laying down. Plus, mine hate
to lay down anyway-they have to see what is going on all the time.
I agree with the diapers-buying 1's. I told everyone to buy me diapers. My
babies are 2 1/2 months old and I have yet to buy diapers. I still have a
ton more. And when they grow out of the 1's, I just take the unopened
packages back and exchange them for 2's.

I could go on and on. *lol* As Im sure all these mommies could. Best of
luck to you!!

Allyson
Mommy to Ethan and Emily
Born April 27, 2004
http://photos.yahoo.com/al_la_son
www.geocities.com/al_la_son

I have the Graco duoglider with dual carriers and we love it. We use it all
the time. It just really depends on how active you're going to bed.
"pattersontwins" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
Hi -
I'm due in November pregnant with twins and I don't have a clue on what to
buy as far as strollers, carriers, car seats, cribs.... it's all so over
whelming.

I would be truly grateful for any input on what to buy!

Thank you so very much!
Jennifer

Old July 1st 04, 08:01 PM
Ducky Lawyer

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
We never had the double stroller that could take the infant carrier car
seats.

Nope, it wasn't available when we had our two, either.

We had a Peg Perego Duette but it was so big and heavy we rarely
used it. We ended up using the Kolcroft double umbrella stroller ALL
the time. It is very light, compact, and relatively cheap. It also has
seats that recline.

Huh - we had the reverse experience with our strollers. We used/use our
Peg Perego Duette *all* the time, and didn't even really notice when our
collapsible lightweight side by side double stroller bit the dust. We've
found the Peg to be versatile (seats face either direction so there are
lots of choices, and we have an older version with big wheels so it's
awesome in snow, ice, rain, etc). But, we live in an urban area without
a car and lots of places to walk to, so it made sense for us to invest
in a big stroller as our 'family vehicle'.

Right now, we're still using the Peg heavily but use two collapsible (1
umbrella, one 'folding') strollers for travelling, or one umbrella
stroller and one carrier (backpack or front pack).

The first few months we rarely went out anyway and if we did, we either
carried the infant carriers or we wore the babies. I didn't have the
Maya wraps then but I had Snuglis. I had the Maya Wraps when they were
a little older.

Ya, I'd suggest a good carrier. WE love love love our Maximom carriers
-- single carriers which can be worn together to carry two (or three)
babies at once. They are also great carriers on their own; our girls are
over 18 months and about 21 pounds each, and we're still using the
carriers. They were invaluable on a recent family holiday (getting
on/off trains, subways, sightseeing in museums and other
non-stroller-friendly places). They are the same cost or less than
Snuglis, and can be used for much longer, IME. But, any decent carrier
or sling will be invaluable.

A really good kids song CD. One that you won't mind singing and dancing
to about a million times a day. I sang and danced for the twins
endlessly when they were little. It really calmed them down (it also
gave me a bit of a workout). When they were little I danced with both
of them in my arms. When they were a little bigger I would either pouch
them or sling both of them and dance. Really, you WILL be playing the
CDs over and over and over...

Ya, we use a lullaby one for "sleepytime-naptime" and
"sleepytime-bedtime" It's a compliation of random classical pieces which
my parents bought on behalf of the girls for DH's birthday (when the
girls were 3 days old) and it's been a winner ever since. We also sing
songs from a kids' songbook, and keep meaning to dig out the
accompanying CD.

I would echo the idea of just getting the minimum of equipment, or just
one of something, until you find out whether you need/use/want it. Then
you can borrow, buy or beg another later if it's useful (excepting car
seats, you'll need two of those from the get-go!)
-Barbara

Old July 2nd 04, 02:39 AM
ChocolateTruffles

Ducky Lawyer wrote:

awesome in snow, ice, rain, etc). But, we live in an urban area without
a car and lots of places to walk to, so it made sense for us to invest
in a big stroller as our 'family vehicle'.

That's the difference I think. There are not many places to walk where
I live. I would have to drive to go walk. lol! :-D

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole