lump in breast?

Old July 29th 06, 04:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
oregonchick

Default lump in breast?

I haven't breast fed or expressed since April. About a month ago I found a
small pea sized hard bump in my left breast. I wasn't concerned. But it
hasn't changed in any way, and I brought it up to my ob/gyn and she wants to
do "further evaluation". I'm only 30 with no risk factors that I know of.
I don't know anything about breast cancer. I'm not freaking out or
anything, but I am a tad concerned. Isn't this most likely a result of
recent breast feeding?

Betsy

Old July 29th 06, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

I don't know whether the lump has anything to do with breastfeeding. I
do know that many lumps turn out to be little cysts, something like
pimples, that go away with lancing. Some, however, turn out to be
cancer. So let your doctor follow up ASAP so you can stop fretting.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old July 29th 06, 04:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I haven't breast fed or expressed since April. About a month ago I found a
small pea sized hard bump in my left breast. I wasn't concerned. But it
hasn't changed in any way, and I brought it up to my ob/gyn and she wants
to do "further evaluation". I'm only 30 with no risk factors that I know
of. I don't know anything about breast cancer. I'm not freaking out or
anything, but I am a tad concerned. Isn't this most likely a result of
recent breast feeding?

I'd highly suspect it really is nothing, it could be either milk cyst that
has hardened and not dispersing, or a different cyst, the fact it hasn't
changed is a good sign a cancerous lump would have grown in that time,
unless it was a very unaggressive form, which would still be good news.

I gather that even in post menopausal women, only 1 in 10 lumps turn out to
be cancerous, so I'd guess it's going to be massively less likely in a women
your age particularly having only recently stopped lactating, but your
ob/gyn is right to evaluate it, because any lump carries a risk that it is
cancerous and it's difficult to be correct with any degree of certainty on
just manual examination.

Definitely best not to worry, but I would recommend taking someone with you
when you go for evaluation, my mum found a lump when she was 43, her mum had
had a cyst removed from a breast at a similar age, so my mum naively assumed
she just had a cyst, so drove herself, only to find that she was one of the
few where is was cancerous. Evaluation usually envolves going through
several tests on a sort of conveyor belt system, physical exam, ultrasound,
mammogram and then possibly fine needle biopsy, which I know sounds scary,
but according to my mum was actually fine and mammogram was much more
unpleasant and painful. Also remember to dress suitable, with a top that
slips on and off easily.

I'm afraid this might all be sounding rather worrying, I'm just trying to
help you prepare for when it does get evaluated, because even though
everything points to it being nothing, the day itself is likely to be quite
an anxious one.

Anne

Old July 30th 06, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
medgirl

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I haven't breast fed or expressed since April. About a month ago I found a
small pea sized hard bump in my left breast. I wasn't concerned. But it
hasn't changed in any way, and I brought it up to my ob/gyn and she wants
to do "further evaluation". I'm only 30 with no risk factors that I know
of. I don't know anything about breast cancer. I'm not freaking out or
anything, but I am a tad concerned. Isn't this most likely a result of
recent breast feeding?

I found a small, hard lump when I had been nursing for about seven months.
I ended up having a mammogram, ultrasound, and finally a needle biopsy when
they couldn't be sure about what it was from the first tests. It turned out
to be a milk cyst, but the whole experience was pretty scary. There is a
very good chance that this will turn out to be benign, but it is important
to get it checked out. I would think that you could still have lactational
changes even if you haven't breastfed since April, but I am not sure about
that. At any rate, my thoughts will be with you that this turns out to be
nothing to worry about.

Sarah
(mother to 17 month old nursling)

Old July 30th 06, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
oregonchick

"medgirl" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to you all for your responses. I'm not panicking, but I realized
that I know almost nothing about breast cancer so took some time just to
review some info online. I know my risk factor is very low, so I'll just go
to the doc for peace of mind and put it behind me.

Old July 31st 06, 03:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

oregonchick wrote:
I haven't breast fed or expressed since April. About a month ago I found a
small pea sized hard bump in my left breast. I wasn't concerned. But it
hasn't changed in any way, and I brought it up to my ob/gyn and she wants to
do "further evaluation". I'm only 30 with no risk factors that I know of.
I don't know anything about breast cancer. I'm not freaking out or
anything, but I am a tad concerned. Isn't this most likely a result of
recent breast feeding?

Betsy

Betsy,
Its probably nothing. However, your doctor is right to check because it
*may* be something. The chances of it being "something" are pretty
remote. I know because I went through something similar (I'm also in
your age group) and I have a family related risk factor. At the time, I
was told that cancer is probably the last thing the doctor expects in
an otherwise healthy breastfeeding *non smoking* female. Usually it is
(1) a blocked milk duct (2) cyst (3) a benign something (I don't
remember the name) (4) other things that are treatable but must be
investigated. They don't immediately suspect cancer in nonsmoking
females under the age of 40 as soon as they come in with a lump in
their breast. This was reassuring for me. However, I was told,
repeatedly at the time, that smoking *will* change your risk factors,
and the consequent possibilities of diagnosis.
All in all, I got the impression that its not something that is
necessarily serious. Just something that should not be left unchecked.

O, I did not read all the replies you received, so if someone has
already told you this, feel free to ignore this post !
PK

Old August 7th 06, 11:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
kcarmstrong

"PK" wrote in message
oups.com...
oregonchick wrote:
[...]

My sister developed an unusual discharge while weaning. There was no lump
and the doctor shrugged it off. Turns out that it was a form of cancer than
does not develop a lump and the end result was that she died before her 38th
birthday.

So, forget the statistics of risk, age, etc. If it does not seem right have
it investigated.

KC