Co-sleeping and a loud sleeper

Old August 3rd 06, 07:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Co-sleeping and a loud sleeper

DD is in a cosleeper on the bed (I love this because I can reach over
and caress and calm her without moving, but can't roll over). And it
was going fine, but dang she's a loud sleeper! This only started the
last few days. She sleeps in 4 hr stretches, and she doesn't wake up
crying, she just gurgles a lot.

I am tempted to move her to another room but I *really* dont' want to
do that yet for a variety of reasons: 1. she's only 4 weeks old 2. BF
at 2am is much easier when I barelyhave to move 3. I'd be going over
there every 5 mins to check on her and 4. We have a cat who pretty much
ignores her but I don't trust her enough yet

Did you have a loud sleeper? Did it get better?

Old August 3rd 06, 07:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NBennett

i had to move my daughter because she was a loud sleeper and kept me
awake. my sleep was minimal enough. i needed it to be good quality. the
room i moved her to was right beside mine and so i could hear any
distressed cries and get to her quickly. i put a comfy chair in there
bought specifically for nighttime breastfeeding. i kept a nightlight
going and so when i fed her during the night, with the comfy chair and
the dim light, i barely woke up. i was quite pleased that i would
awaken with her first cry, get to her before she got riled up, feed
her, while i zoned out in the chair, change her and get her and myself
back to bed and back to sleep all within 45 minutes.
i too had a cat at the time. he had assumed that each piece of baby
furniture i brought into the house was for his enjoyment and spent
hours exploring the change table, the high chair, the playpen and the
crib, before i brought my daughter home. once she was home, he gave it
all up except for the playpen. he spent much more time in it than she
ever did. once in the middle of the night he jumped into the crib and
startled her, made her cry. i came to see what the fuss was about and
found crying baby at one end of the crib and shocked wide eyed cat at
the other end. i took him out of the crib and he never tried it again.
she wasn't scarred by the experience. she loved the cats, and they
tolerated her very well.

nancy

Old August 4th 06, 01:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
V.

We didn't really intentionally co-sleep, although it did happen from time to
time. I had her in a bassinet next to the bed at first though and had
intended to keep her there for at least the first 3 months. But, she's a
loud sleeper too...grunts, snores, snuffle, you name it. Since DH and I
both snore , everyone kept waking everyone else up. I put her in her own
room after the first month, and we all slept better. I shut the door to her
room to keep the cats out, although they are only interested in the crib
when it's unoccupied. She's still a loud sleeper, I can hear her through
the monitor even. Maybe just putting her in a bassinet across the room will
help? Earplugs?

Amy

Old August 4th 06, 05:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

cjra writes:

: Did you have a loud sleeper? Did it get better?

Yes. You learn to go back to sleep much quicker, or only
wake up when she is making those I'm-gonna-wake-up-myself
sounds herself.

Larry
Old August 4th 06, 09:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

cjra wrote:
DD is in a cosleeper on the bed (I love this because I can reach over
and caress and calm her without moving, but can't roll over). And it
was going fine, but dang she's a loud sleeper! This only started the
last few days. She sleeps in 4 hr stretches, and she doesn't wake up
crying, she just gurgles a lot.

I am tempted to move her to another room but I *really* dont' want to
do that yet for a variety of reasons: 1. she's only 4 weeks old 2. BF
at 2am is much easier when I barelyhave to move 3. I'd be going over
there every 5 mins to check on her and 4. We have a cat who pretty much
ignores her but I don't trust her enough yet

Did you have a loud sleeper? Did it get better?

I can't even begin to describe the noises ds made when he was tiny. It
was always after a bf and he'd make them for anywhere between 10 and 30
minutes before he fell asleep. I was determined not to move him to his
own room before 6 months (SIDS advice) so I wore earplugs which helped
enormously. How dp slept through it I'll never know. I could never get
the hang of feeding in bed, and co-sleeping wasn't possibe, so early on
we bought an old staffroom chair which works perfectly as a nursing
chair. I still use it today. Unfortunately I did fall asleep in it
sometimes with ds, which I know is against all the rules, but nursing
does that to me and I couldn't help it. This is one area where I wish
we could have coslept.

Bizarrely his noises got much better when he moved from his moses
basket into his cot at 3 months. He slept much better in general. I
think he likes to have space to move around.

Our cat isn't interested in ds (well not when he was a baby at least)
but likes to sleep in his cot when he isn't in it, so we make sure we
keep the door shut when he is. The chances of ds not waking if he lept
in are minimal but not something we are prepared to risk.

Jeni

Old August 4th 06, 10:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Did you have a loud sleeper? Did it get better?

yes, and no!

For ages I used to move my first from our bedroom to another room after the
first night feed and ended up moving our 2nd to her own room at 8weeks, it
really just wasn't practical to do anything else! Both remain noisy
sleepers, now aged 3 and 14 months

Anne

Old August 5th 06, 05:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Personal advice though I am sure not everyone would agree; allow the
child to sleep in their own area. I co-slept with my first and we have
HUGE problems now. Waking up in the midnight and joining Dad and me,
tantrums, and avoiding going to bed.

My second we did not cosleep and she is out like a light when she hits
her crib. Actually, she gets upset if you do not put her to bed in her
own room. My daughter was noisy so I knew I would not have a problem
feeling like I was close to her if she was in her own room. I switched
her their from the being in a bassinet in our room for the same noise
complaints.

That noisy stuff should calm down in another month or two.

Good luck and happy sleeping, remember that sleep is essential for your
babies health as well as your own.

Old August 5th 06, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

Possibly the baby would be quieter sleeping in a different
position, and/or on a slant with the head end of the
bed a little higher than the foot end. The slant helps
fluids drain from the nose. Adults who snore are more
likely to snore if lying on their back, I think.
Lying on the back or side is supposed to be safer for
babies than lying on the stomach.