reliable drug information

Old August 15th 07, 07:27 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default reliable drug information

Does anyone know of any resource similar to the Hales book for
breastfeeding, that provides information about drugs and pregnancy?

It's easy enough to find the categories out, but with B being "Animal
reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and
there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR
Animal studies which have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and
well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a
risk to the fetus in any trimester." and C being "Animal reproduction
studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no
adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits
may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.",
a drug falling into this category to me means, I want to know more
information, like what kind of harm has been found and what doses are
used, so is it a case of avoiding or is there a case for minimising
usage and so on. Something that suggested alternatives would be helpful too!

Cheers
Anne
Old August 15th 07, 12:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

I use a Nursing Drug Book (they come out every year) for my work. It tells
everything about the drug, and side effects. It won't give alternatives, but
at least you would have more information. Also, for my work, I also use the
website rxlist.com for any drugs that I need to look up.
--
Sue

. ..

Old August 15th 07, 06:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Sue wrote:
I use a Nursing Drug Book (they come out every year) for my work. It tells
everything about the drug, and side effects. It won't give alternatives, but
at least you would have more information. Also, for my work, I also use the
website rxlist.com for any drugs that I need to look up.

Unfortunately, at least for the drugs I've looked up, it uses basically
the same sentence as the definition of whichever category it's in. How
does the information there differ from the nursing drug book? or is it
basically the same? I'd buy the book if I thought it would be helpful.

Thanks
Anne
Old August 16th 07, 12:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Unfortunately, at least for the drugs I've looked up, it uses basically
the same sentence as the definition of whichever category it's in. How
does the information there differ from the nursing drug book? or is it
basically the same? I'd buy the book if I thought it would be helpful.

Well the book has more information on the drugs. In the book it has sections
on how the drug is supplied, action, indications & dosage (then it divides
it again into ages), the interactions, effects on diagnotic testing,
contradictions, the category it is for pregnancy/breastfeeding, nursing
contradictions, and then patient teaching. The Nursing Book for drugs is
actually pretty involved. Although, I am not sure if this is more than what
you are looking for.

--
Sue

Old August 16th 07, 03:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
V.[_2_]

I've been using http://www.safefetus.com/
It doesn't only provide the FDA Pregnancy Risk Categoty, but also a short
description of the possible teratogenic or side effects in both pregnancy
and lactation.
Plus, there is a definition of medical words when you place your mouse
cursor on the bold words.
It is not extensive, and sometimes I had to look for a commercial name
instead of the monodrug, but I found it quite useful. I think it's easy to
use for both "medical and non-medical" users.
Cheers!

Old August 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

On Aug 14, 11:27 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Have you looked at LactMed?

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

It doesn't use the letter categories the way Hales does, but it does
have categories and quite a bit of information about the studies that
led to this information.

--Betsy

Old August 16th 07, 06:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

V. wrote:
I've been using http://www.safefetus.com/
It doesn't only provide the FDA Pregnancy Risk Categoty, but also a short
description of the possible teratogenic or side effects in both pregnancy
and lactation.

ok, now I'm confused, I looked up nortriptyline, which I'm trying out
right now for sleep, rather than it's common use, depression. Most
places either say C, or have it inserted into the sentence that's the
definition of C, but this site says D, and reports anomolies as
cardiovascular and limb reduction, i.e. pretty serious. Which makes me
pretty angry that this was not mentioned to me and what type of birth
control I'm using checked - I'm using a diaphragm, but to me, that isn't
reliable enough against pregnancy with these possible defects.

Cheers
Anne