Reaction to IPV shot?

Old February 12th 04, 07:19 AM
Dwayne Hoover

Default Reaction to IPV shot?

My 9 month old son had his doctor visit today and received his ipv
(polio) shot and was screened for TB. He just woke up screaming and
has a fever and very hot hands. Could this be a reaction to the shot?
What is the danger of him catching a mild form of polio from this
shot? My wife forgot to ask the doctor about what to expect so I'm a
little curious to say the least if this is normal.
Old February 12th 04, 07:59 AM
JG

"Dwayne Hoover" wrote in message
om...

My 9 month old son had his doctor visit today and received his ipv
(polio) shot and was screened for TB. He just woke up screaming and
has a fever and very hot hands. Could this be a reaction to the shot?

Yes. From the IPV Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) that federal law
requires vaccine administrators to give to parents (a statement that
contains the same information may be substituted for the official [CDC]
VIS):

What should I look for?

Look for any unusual condition, such as a serious allergic reaction,
high fever, or unusual behavior.

If a serious allergic reaction occurred, it would happen within a few
minutes to a few hours after the shot. Signs of a serious allergic
reaction can include difficulty breathing, weakness, hoarseness or
wheezing, a fast heart beat, hives, dizziness, paleness, or swelling of
the throat

What should I do?

.. Call a doctor, or get the person to a doctor right away.

What is the danger of him catching a mild form of polio from this
shot?

None. The IPV (= Inactivated Polio Vaccine), unlike the formerly used
OPV (= Oral Polio Vaccine) doesn't contain a live virus.

My wife forgot to ask the doctor about what to expect so I'm a
little curious to say the least if this is normal.

She shouldn't have had to ask; she should have been given a copy of the
VIS.