Baby growth charts to be revised

Old April 24th 06, 04:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Baby growth charts to be revised

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4938234.stm

Yay breastfeeding.

--
Rebecca Jo
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05

Old April 24th 06, 07:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Rebecca Jo wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4938234.stm

Yay breastfeeding.

--
Rebecca Jo
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05

I'm confused. All three of my breastfed babies are at the top of the
growth charts. All three regained their birth weight within 7 days,
doubled it at 4-5 months, and were well over 22 lbs at 1 year. Now
they're saying it's unhealthy? Geez.

Stasya

Old April 24th 06, 11:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"stasya" wrote:

I'm confused. All three of my breastfed babies are at the top of the
growth charts. All three regained their birth weight within 7 days,
doubled it at 4-5 months, and were well over 22 lbs at 1 year. Now
they're saying it's unhealthy? Geez.

Stasya

They don't say 22 lbs at 1 year is unhealthy. They say the range should be
21lbs to 26 lbs.

rj

Old April 25th 06, 12:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I'm confused. All three of my breastfed babies are at the top of the
growth charts. All three regained their birth weight within 7 days,
doubled it at 4-5 months, and were well over 22 lbs at 1 year. Now
they're saying it's unhealthy? Geez.

They don't say 22 lbs at 1 year is unhealthy. They say the range should be
21lbs to 26 lbs.

either way it still makes my almost 3 year old not healthy, at 23 pounds!

I don't get why this has come out again now, it's something that has been
widely known for a while and I'm sure I recall some press coverage in the
past.

Anne

Old April 25th 06, 12:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote:

either way it still makes my almost 3 year old not healthy, at 23 pounds!

I don't get why this has come out again now, it's something that has been
widely known for a while and I'm sure I recall some press coverage in the
past.

Anne

well, they're actually changing the charts this time..

rj

Old April 27th 06, 06:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I don't get it why they are changing them DOWN though. All the babies I
know (all either breast or combi-fed) are at the top of (or in our case
*off*) the charts. My boy (11 months) is already 27.5 lbs and growing fast,
so this is going to skew him off the chart even more. Are the charts going
to be changed UP for the first 6 months since bf babies grow at a faster
rate during that period? It wasn't clear from the article unless I missed
something...
I don't really see how weight on it's own contributes to health or otherwise
of baby either. My son is off the charts for BOTH height and weight so is
growing in proportion, yet according to these guidelines would be at risk
later in life. My DD was the same way and is now at around 75th percentile
on the charts, but again completely in proportion, not chubby at all. Seems
a bit off to me.

Old April 27th 06, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

CY wrote:
I don't get it why they are changing them DOWN though. All the babies I
know (all either breast or combi-fed) are at the top of (or in our case
*off*) the charts.

Shows you the danger of anecdotal evidence. All of my breastfed
babies are tiny, except Sasha who has managed to be 50% for weight.

My middle child has spent a bunch of time off the bottom of the charts.

Michelle
Flutist

Old April 28th 06, 06:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi, I'm sort of new here. my son is 4 months old and only breastfed. He
weighed 6.5oz at birth and now.....he is 19 pounds. He is almost in
9mth old clothes, but his Dr.(who is GREAT1!!) says that he is meeting
all of his developmental goals and is healthy. We were a little
worried at first because he was 13pounds at his 2mth visit. I feel like
I should be worried about something, but he should burn it off when he
starts being more active..........Right? if they say the over 22 lb 1
year old is unhealthy...wonder what they would say about mine.

Old April 28th 06, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

tlc517 wrote:
Hi, I'm sort of new here. my son is 4 months old and only breastfed. He
weighed 6.5oz at birth and now.....he is 19 pounds. He is almost in
9mth old clothes, but his Dr.(who is GREAT1!!) says that he is meeting
all of his developmental goals and is healthy. We were a little
worried at first because he was 13pounds at his 2mth visit. I feel like
I should be worried about something, but he should burn it off when he
starts being more active..........Right? if they say the over 22 lb 1
year old is unhealthy...wonder what they would say about mine.

Both my breastfed babies were huge while exclusively breastfed. Once
we started solids, their weight gain really slowed down. My 5 year old
is now in the 30% for weight (90%) for height, and the 2 year old is
showing the same trend (at 6 months they were both in the 95% for
height and weight). So they end up being tall and skinny.

Mary W.