Cosleeping Question

Old March 22nd 04, 03:42 PM
New York Jen

Default Cosleeping Question

Hi all,

We're getting used to living with Lily Bean...seems she sleeps best when
she's next to me in bed. I never felt comfortable enough to sleep with
Laszlo in the bed with us (until he was much older) and I'm just a little
concerned about the safety. I have a Snuggle Nest (THANKS Michelle!) but
she seems to do better just next to my boob after she is done nursing. It's
also WAY easier for me to get some sleep since I don't have to go anywhere
and just have to make sure she's latched on and then I can pass back out
again.

I know that many of you cosleep with your children...is this how you did it?
Were you ever worried about rolling over? I'm really not, but I think it's
a sensible question to ask. I am totally aware of her presence next to me
and she's close enough to me and far enough from DH that I don't have to
worry about him rolling on her.

Thanks for any input!

Laszlo was doing great with her until this morning, although it could
certainly be those molars he's been working on that's making him so cranky.
Also Daddy isn't here, he went back to work today...so I'm solo with both
kids. He was very drooly so I'm hoping that it was the teeth and that the
Motrin I gave him a half hour ago does the trick. For now he's chilling out
in his crib.

- Jen
Momma to Laszlo Cooper (2-06-02) and Lily Parker (3-13-04)

Old March 22nd 04, 04:20 PM
nina

I've slept with all 3 of mine, the latest who arrived at a mere 5 lbs.
I always slept HOLDING them when they were really small, so
rolling on them wasnt an issue. Ikind of held them in the crook of my left
arm
(the side near the edge of the bed, so Daddy thrashing wasnt an issue)
With this one, I use a pillow under my elbow to help support her since
she prefers to lie to the side, where the others would lie flat on my chest.

Now that she is older, she nurses and then I put her on the bed next to me
afterwards

news

Old March 22nd 04, 04:39 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

New York Jen wrote:
is this how you did it?

Caterpillar spent all night on Allyson's chest and got handed to me to
nurse until we got the hang of nursing lying down (somewhere around
10-12 weeks). At that point, we did what you're doing (baby next to me
all night, pushing me farther and farther towards the edge of the bed,
until I found myself clinging to the last 6 inches).

Were you ever worried about rolling over?

No, but I was worried about blankets. The heat in our house isn't
consistent unless we keep all the doors open, and because of the cats,
we don't. So our room either got up to 85 in the night, or never got
warmer than 60, depending on whether we kept the vents open or closed.
(Partially open was the same as open.) Because of that, we used heavy
blankets once it got cold (when Caterpillar was 4 months old or so).
Our A/C has the same problem, and Allyson gets all-day headaches if she
gets too warm at night, so I needed light blankets in the summer, too.
So I was a bad co-sleeping mom, and I worried about it.

Phoebe

Old March 22nd 04, 05:00 PM
Nikki

New York Jen wrote:
Hi all,

We're getting used to living with Lily Bean...seems she sleeps best
when she's next to me in bed. I never felt comfortable enough to
sleep with Laszlo in the bed with us (until he was much older) and
I'm just a little concerned about the safety. I have a Snuggle Nest
(THANKS Michelle!) but she seems to do better just next to my boob
after she is done nursing. It's also WAY easier for me to get some
sleep since I don't have to go anywhere and just have to make sure
she's latched on and then I can pass back out again.

I know that many of you cosleep with your children...is this how you
did it? Were you ever worried about rolling over?

Yes that is how I did it. I never worried about rolling on them and never
had a close call with that method either. Before I learned how to nurse
lying down with Hunter I fell asleep while I was nursing him. I was leaning
up against the headboard. He rolled down and was not in a great position.
He was fine but it gave me a jolt and I started sitting up with my feet on
the floor. I finally mastered side lying shortly after that.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 22nd 04, 05:52 PM
badgirl

"New York Jen" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

I am totally aware of her presence next to me

Jen, this sentence is the total key to how I slept successfully with
Nicolas. I was totally aware. It made for not so sound sleeping on my
part and even a bit of waking slightly every once in awhile even when
he didn't wake, but it worked. If you're worried about DH rolling over
then use the snuggle nest between him and Lily (instead of putting her
in it, put her between the nest and you)
The ONLY close call I ever had with Bub was one night I slept heavier
than usual and was sleeping on my back with him directly next to me
with his head about armpit level....I woke to the sound of him trying
to get a breath but unable to..he was also on his back with his face
under my breast because they sag enough to fall into that position
(OMG HOW EMBARRASSING) Time for a breast reduction LOL Anyway, I
woke in time of course and made myself sleep on my side (using pillows
to prop my back) until he was old enough to maneuver in the night on
his own and get out of the way (caution, falling boobies LMAO...that's
so bad).

Jen

Old March 22nd 04, 09:50 PM
Beth

"New York Jen" wrote in message
news

I know that many of you cosleep with your children...is this how you did

it?
Were you ever worried about rolling over?

Not too much. I slept curled around DS like a C, and basically woke up when
I needed to turn. He spent most of the night on whichever side I put him
on, and that lasted several months. He still sleeps on his sides for the
most part, even though he's mobile, now. I've never once rolled on him.
Right from the start I became an "aware" sleeper, much less prone to toss
and turn. On occasion when he was tiny, he would inhale a noseful of breast
and wake me with his gasp. But he always rescued himself.

Beth

Old March 22nd 04, 11:43 PM
She's A Goddess

"New York Jen" wrote in message
news
I have a Snuggle Nest (THANKS Michelle!) but
she seems to do better just next to my boob after she is done nursing.

It's
also WAY easier for me to get some sleep since I don't have to go anywhere
and just have to make sure she's latched on and then I can pass back out
again.

I know that many of you cosleep with your children...is this how you did

it?
Were you ever worried about rolling over?

For about three weeks with DD I was worried. Then I realized that my
instincts woke me up every time she moved and that I had an amazing ability
to lie absolutely still. With DS from day one I slept and slept well while
he slept right there next to me. Good suggestions that I thought we'd use
but never did include sleeping further down the bed and pushing baby up a
bit so that you can still be covered a decent amount and not get the blanket
near her, or using separate blankets for you and DH so that the baby isn't
covered at all.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 1/2 years) and O. Boy (9 months)

Old March 22nd 04, 11:54 PM
nina

"She's A Goddess" wrote in message

[...]

Before my husband returned, I would sleep further down the bed so I could be
covered
without covering the baby.
I also put the blankets lower so I can cover up to my torso with my blanket
then cover the baby
and my chest with her blanket, so she isnt all covered up.

Old March 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
Larry McMahan

New York Jen writes:
: Hi all,

: We're getting used to living with Lily Bean...seems she sleeps best when
: she's next to me in bed. I never felt comfortable enough to sleep with
: Laszlo in the bed with us (until he was much older) and I'm just a little
: concerned about the safety. I have a Snuggle Nest (THANKS Michelle!) but
: she seems to do better just next to my boob after she is done nursing. It's
: also WAY easier for me to get some sleep since I don't have to go anywhere
: and just have to make sure she's latched on and then I can pass back out
: again.

: I know that many of you cosleep with your children...is this how you did it?

Well, mostly. the nursing baby often slept on the outside, with Monika in
the middle. Nobody every got rolled over on. No one ever fell out of bed.

Larry
Old March 23rd 04, 04:05 AM
Shannon G

"New York Jen" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

We're getting used to living with Lily Bean...seems she sleeps best when
she's next to me in bed. I never felt comfortable enough to sleep with
Laszlo in the bed with us (until he was much older) and I'm just a little
concerned about the safety. I have a Snuggle Nest (THANKS Michelle!) but
she seems to do better just next to my boob after she is done nursing.

It's
also WAY easier for me to get some sleep since I don't have to go anywhere
and just have to make sure she's latched on and then I can pass back out
again.

I know that many of you cosleep with your children...is this how you did

it?
Were you ever worried about rolling over?

I had the same concerns with co-sleeping but my sister asked me.......have
you ever forgotten you were so close to edge of the bed and fallen out?
Exactly. It's just something subconscious thing you think about. You will
not roll over on top of your baby (drugs/excessive alcohol consumption
aside). Now, I would have different concerns if other small children were
in bed with us. I can't control their actions :-)

Shannon

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM