5,5 months update

Old March 31st 04, 07:22 PM
Jamie Clark

Default 5,5 months update

"Em" wrote in message
newsOCac.149320$Cb.1534531@attbi_s51...
I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to email you in a while, Elly. Things
are incredibly hectic for me lately! I'm glad that Erin is growing well.
Lann weighs almost 20 pounds now (19.5 at 6 months, but is now weighing
20 on my scale at home). He is 28.5 inches. We gave him a bit of jarred
peaches on his 6 month birthday (just breastmilk until that point). He
seems really, really interested in our food, but was not very pleased
with his first bites of solids. I suspect he is a baby that will be
happy with finger foods, not purees. He makes horrible faces about
purees and shudders and gags. So, we haven't pressed forward very much
with solids. We try something less than once a day. I want to wait until
he stops gagging and coughing over purees, before I offer anything more
solid. I have given him a piece of fruit to gnaw every once in a while
and he seems to like that (still sticks it far back in his mouth and
gags himself though! Silly little guy).

A bit of unsolicited advice he

You know, regarding the horrible faces and shudders when tasting pureed
foods, I don't think it's that they don't like it, I just think that it's a
huge taste shock compared to breastmilk or formula. Taylor did the exact
same thing the first time she tasted pureed foods. I started her on rice
cereal and formula mixed very runny, so it tasted much like formula, then
slowly added less and less formula, so she got used to the texture slowly,
while it still tasted familiar. Then, when I finally did bring in purees, I
mixed it in the rice cereal, so it was a gradual taste. Before I got smart
and did it that way, I just opened a jar of something and gave her a
spoonful, and she had the same response. She reacted that way to any new
flavor. She has a very sensitive gag reflex, and if her mouth was expecting
Rice Cereal, and she Carrots or Peaches, I think her gag reflex considered
the new taste "Rancid Cereal" and she's immediately puke it all up. But, if
I mixed a tiny bit on the spoon of both, she'd accept the new flavor.

I mean if you think about it, if all you ever drink is milk, and then one
day you get orange juice, as good as OJ is, if you are expecting milk, the
OJ is going to taste like the worst milk you've ever had. So, in the end,
your baby may not have a problem with the purees, just the strong flavor.
Just a thought!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Five months on Linz Pregnancy 6 March 19th 04 09:44 PM
My little update Alpha Pregnancy 22 March 1st 04 02:13 AM
Help settle a week-debate b/w DH and me!! Jill Pregnancy 19 February 20th 04 04:41 AM
Alena's 6 months update (With a Hale's look up request) (X-posted) AlenasMom Breastfeeding 14 January 6th 04 07:27 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6? Laurie General 9 August 12th 03 07:02 PM