29 weeks appointment

Old February 25th 05, 06:51 PM
Kazh

Default 29 weeks appointment

Went for another scan today, baby growing nicely already weighing in =
around 4lb (2.1kg). All well with her.

Urine tests said -=20
Glucose +++
Ketones ++

Got the results of the GTT.
First test - 6.1 (normal 0-6)
Second test - 10.6 (normal up to 7.8)

So yes they think I have GD now..........sent me home with a blood =
testing kit which I have to do 7 tests a day for a week with diet =
control and see how we go.

So glad I opted for the tests now.

Will keep you all informed of the results next week.

--=20
Karen
DS 10th Aug 1986 - VB - 9lb 13oz
DD 13th Aug 1988 - VB - 10lb 9oz
EDD 9th May 2005 - It's a girl !!
Sophie's Prediction for us - Girl
--
Our Latest Scan Photo
http://www.freewebs.com/kazh/

Old February 25th 05, 07:56 PM

Hi Karen,

I am due 2 days after you. I have type II diabetes, so I test the
entire pg, and take lots of insulin. I've had type II diabetes for all
of my 3 pgs, and all have been healthy so far. If you keep good
control, all will be well as you probably already know.

KC

Old February 25th 05, 08:30 PM
Kazh

If you could give me some tips on maintaining good health and eating =
habits it would be great.

thanks

ups.com...

Old February 25th 05, 11:19 PM
Jo

Kazh wrote:
Went for another scan today, baby growing nicely already weighing in around 4lb (2.1kg). All well with her.

Urine tests said -
Glucose +++
Ketones ++

Got the results of the GTT.
First test - 6.1 (normal 0-6)
Second test - 10.6 (normal up to 7.8)

So yes they think I have GD now..........sent me home with a blood testing kit which I have to do 7 tests a day for a week with diet control and see how we go.

So glad I opted for the tests now.

Will keep you all informed of the results next week.

Woah, 2.1kg? Are you sure?? I looked up on a foetal growth chart
yesterday how big my baby would be, and for 28 weeks it said 1kg.
Triplets were born at 33 weeks the other day and they were all the sizes
of singletons - 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8kg. Did you mean 1.2kg?

Jo (RM)
Old February 26th 05, 11:25 AM
Kazh

Yep, def 2.1 kg. 4.9lb in weight already.

If you look on the chart my baby is following the top curve on the =
graph, if she carries on she will be 9lb+ art birth.

"Jo" wrote in message =

Woah, 2.1kg? Are you sure?? I looked up on a foetal growth chart=20
yesterday how big my baby would be, and for 28 weeks it said 1kg.=20

Old February 26th 05, 01:29 PM
Anne Rogers

Yep, def 2.1 kg. 4.9lb in weight already.

If you look on the chart my baby is following the top curve on the graph,
if she carries on she will be 9lb+ art birth.

they can be way off though, I had an ultrasound at 31+? last time, which
came out with a similar current weight to what you say, a little bit more I
think, not quite as high on the centiles, due to the later date, but 75th
ish, baby popped out at a mere 2.6kg, 5lb 13oz 6 weeks later.

Anne

Old February 26th 05, 01:45 PM
Kazh

9lb to me would still be small LOL but thanks for the advice

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message =

Yep, def 2.1 kg. 4.9lb in weight already.

If you look on the chart my baby is following the top curve on the =

graph,=20
if she carries on she will be 9lb+ art birth.

they can be way off though, I had an ultrasound at 31+? last time, =
which=20
came out with a similar current weight to what you say, a little bit =
more I=20
think, not quite as high on the centiles, due to the later date, but =
75th=20
ish, baby popped out at a mere 2.6kg, 5lb 13oz 6 weeks later.

Anne=20

Old February 26th 05, 07:30 PM

If you could give me some tips on maintaining good health and eating
habits it would be great.

With my first pg I kept my levels under really strict tight control,
and my baby was actually a little small at first and had some troubles
with her blood sugar and temperature at first, so with the next pg we
purposely upped what blood sugar levels I was shooting for (95 for
fasting and 130 after meals instead of 90 for fasting and 120 after
meals in the first pg) and the baby was a better weight and more
robust.

In my first pg I also tried to keep my level of carbs I ate lower, but
in the second pg I ate more carbs. It's easier for me in a way because
I always get to shoot insulin to cover carbs I eat, while if you are
trying to do it by diet alone you have to be more restrictive of what
you eat. If they put you on a diet, and you are still hungry, you can
eat as much additional protein and fat as you want without raising your
blood sugar values, and alot of veggies have very few carbs too, like
salad mix with ranch or blue cheese dressing will not raise your blood
sugar unless there is lots of carrots in the salad mix. You just have
to watch the carbs. I have also found that some food with alot of fat
in them like nuts, don't seem to raise my blood sugar even though there
are carbs in them. In general, eating some protein with your carbs
helps them to get digested slower, and thus keeps them from raising
your blood sugar as much.

Also, walking right after meals for 15 minutes will really suck down
the blood sugar levels. Walking could be a real godsend for you in
trying to control blood sugars without insulin.

Good luck,

KC

Old February 26th 05, 08:33 PM
Ericka Kammerer

[...]

Keep in mind, though, that gestational diabetes is NOT
the same as true diabetes. There is precious little evidence
that insulin is warranted in gestational diabetes, while it
is clearly indicated in some true diabetic situations. In fact,
the evidence is so weak that in Enkins et al.'s _Guide to
Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth_ (based on reviews
by the Cochrane Collaboration, one of the most respected evidence-
based medicine organizations in the world), they say that the
use of inuslin for gestational diabetes with so little supporting
evidence would be considered *unethical* in any other area of
medicine. Another finding by the Cochrane Collaboration is
that there is little evidence to support the value of very
tight dietary control over less rigid control in improving
outcomes with gestational diabetes. (When you get right down
to it, there is precious little evidence that any treatment
improves the major outcome variables significantly, which
is yet another difference between gestational diabetes
and true diabetes.)
I'm not saying one shouldn't follow reasonable
dietary guidelines, but you make a very good point that
if the diet is resulting in too much calorie deprivation,
that is not a good thing for the baby. Exercise is also
a great thing by anyone's standards, and will certainly
improve blood sugar levels. But someone with gestational
diabetes should think long and hard before agreeing to
insulin use, and some doctors are very quick to suggest
it.

Best wishes,
Ericka