Strange verbal tic

Old May 4th 05, 01:54 AM
Laura Brooks

Default Strange verbal tic

My son is 7 years old, and has recently developed a strange habit. He'll
say something, and then immediately afterwards he'll repeat what he just
said in a whisper. Actually, I haven't heard him do it yet, but my daugther
(10) was telling me about it in the car today. She says when she asks him
why, he doesn't know what she's talking about - he's unaware that he's doing
it.

Here's the weirdest part - I remember doing the same thing myself as a kid!
Or that is, I remember my friends and family calling me on it and being very
frustrated because I didn't know I was doing it. Sometimes I would "catch"
myself, but I still had trouble controlling it. I guess eventually it just
went away, because I don't do it now (or everybody's too polite to tell me,
LOL).

Anybody have any idea what this is?

Laura
Mom to Sarah & Jonathan

Old May 4th 05, 04:22 AM
Nikki

Laura Brooks wrote:
My son is 7 years old, and has recently developed a strange habit.
He'll say something, and then immediately afterwards he'll repeat
what he just said in a whisper.

Repeating oneself like that is called pallalia. I don't really know much
about it though.

--
Nikki

Old May 4th 05, 04:22 AM
Peggy

"Laura Brooks" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

My husband does it too. In fact, we recently discussed this in another
thread a week or two ago somewhere in this ng.
It's called palilalia.
~Peggy

Old May 4th 05, 04:22 AM
Karlisa

My nephew did this exact same thing! We all thought it strange but he
eventually outgrew it.

lisa
micksmom

Old May 4th 05, 02:42 PM
Laura E. Brooks

My husband does it too. In fact, we recently discussed this in another
thread a week or two ago somewhere in this ng.
It's called palilalia.

Thanks a bunch! I didn't see that other thread. It's difficult to find out
something about it without a name - I couldn't come up with a google search
that returned any results at all.

Laura

Old May 5th 05, 12:17 AM
Peggy

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=palilalia

Old May 8th 05, 03:17 PM
Laura Brooks

something about it without a name - I couldn't come up with a google
search
that returned any results at all.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=palilalia

Thanks - just to be clear, I meant I couldn't figure out a search for it
without the actual name. I tried stuff like repeat self whisper, etc.

Laura

Old May 8th 05, 03:33 PM
Donna

"Laura Brooks" wrote in message
ink.net...
something about it without a name - I couldn't come up with a google

search
that returned any results at all.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=palilalia

Thanks - just to be clear, I meant I couldn't figure out a search for it
without the actual name. I tried stuff like repeat self whisper, etc.

I found it by searching for "repeating onself" +disorder

Oh, and I googled. I really have so much better results with Google than
with the other engines. Not sure why.

HTH

Donna