little house on the priarie ( bottle feeding)

Old January 25th 04, 05:52 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

Default little house on the priarie ( bottle feeding)

In article ,
Jacqui wrote:
Liz S. Reynolds wibbled
The TV show made up all kinds of stuff and changed other stuff.
It's good, but I wouldn't rely on it for accuracy, only the books.

There's a good deal of omission and inaccuracy in the books too, you
know. Laura (with or without Rose's urging - *there's* a controversial
subject in the LIW world) expurgated the first-draft manuscripts -
missed out chunks of family history (eg Freddie, the real timeline for
the Indian Territory move), amalgamated some people into other
characters ("Nellie Oleson" is at least 2 girls), was nicer about some
people than they deserved g, omitted anything considered 'not nice'
(the original plan for the section of BTSOSL where she and Pa are
watching the railroad workers included Laura observing a worker
'****ing on the ground where he worked' and asking Pa what arrangements
the men had for other bodily functions... Rose persuaded her not to put
this in!). They're fiction with a strong autobiographical backing, not
autobiography.

I didn't know but sort of guessed - I mean they are books for children and
not from the era of "everybody poops" I never knew about Freddie, I do
remember learning in high school history class that the insanity rate for
pioneer women was something outrageous - the stress was just unimaginable.

-Liz

Old January 26th 04, 10:24 PM
P. G. Chavez

H Schinske wrote and I snipped:

Patty ) wrote:

You don't have to wait as long if you look for the Little House picture
books. They're called _My First Little House Books_.

Where would they fit in, though? Seems to me that any child who would sit
through those would also sit through real _Little House_ books (my kids all did
at 4.5 to 5.5 -- the first few volumes, anyway). If you're going to all the
time and trouble it takes to read aloud, read the real thing, I say.

Maybe we aren't talking about the same series. Come to think of it,
there were two levels of "easy" Little House books at the library. I
agree that one set seemed to be shortened chapter books, and I also
don't see the point. What I was intending to recommend were truly
picture books. Most 2-page spreads contained one large illustration
with 3-4 sentences of text. I think they're good for the 3- to
4-year-olds who aren't ready to sit through listening to a chapter of
text with very few illustrations. They were a good jumping off point
for DD and I to talk about life 125 years ago. She also loved learning
about the various family members, and we would play that she was Laura
and I was Ma. By 5y, she seemed ready for chapter books, but we haven't
read any Little House books yet. I'm sure she'll love them, especially
at first because she has a familiarity with the characters.

HTH,
-Patty, mom to Corinne (5.75y) and Nathan (3.5y)
and stepmom to Victoria (13.5y)