Breastfeeding and back to work

Old October 8th 03, 11:12 PM
Irene

Default Breastfeeding and back to work

zeldabee wrote in message ...

Also, my job isn't the kind of job where I could just close a door if I did
have an office or private space--I'm expected to serve my clients whenever
they need help, even if I'm in the middle of my lunch hour, and a closed
door wouldn't be honored. (I work in advertizing, graphics production--the
future of the free world is often at stake.) So, I don't have much
choice--I have to leave my work area in order to pump. I'm going to have to
be super efficient at it--and I'm hoping that that doesn't lead to my being
too stressed for it to work at all.

Is there anything work-related you can do while you pump? I often
tried to bring a set of drawings to check while I was pumping, or
work-related reading. Can you sketch while pumping? (I don't know
how much you only do stuff on computer, or if you actually do anything
manually!) Strangely enough, I sometimes found that if I was busy
concentrating on work, I also got better results from pumping!

Irene
Old October 9th 03, 06:16 PM
zeldabee

(Irene) wrote:
zeldabee wrote ...

[...]

Boy, I wish I could do work while pumping. Then I wouldn't have to pump at
breaks, or make up the time. But the work I do generally involves a lot of
running around, with only occasional sitting (for any length of time). It's
mostly at computer, but not at any *one* computer, IYSWIM. No cubicles, no
privacy. I think the rooms that have been set aside for pumping don't have
computers...but I don't know for sure.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 10th 03, 05:33 PM
Irene

zeldabee wrote in message ...
(Irene) wrote:
zeldabee wrote ...

[...]

Hmm...are there any laptops available? Either company owned or your
own, or someone who might lend you one... Though I'm getting the idea
you have a lot of specialized software that isn't necessarily all
installed on any one computer, so that might not work, either. Or, do
you need to make many phone calls? Is there a phone in the pumping
room, or do you have a cell phone (either company owned, or with a
good plan, so you don't have to shell out!)?

Just brainstorming here...I often am reminded how lucky I am to be
"the boss" and get to sidestep many of the normal rules. Not to
mention being able to set up the back office for pumping.

Irene
Old October 10th 03, 11:16 PM
Larry McMahan

zeldabee writes:

: Boy, I wish I could do work while pumping. Then I wouldn't have to pump at
: breaks, or make up the time. But the work I do generally involves a lot of
: running around, with only occasional sitting (for any length of time). It's
: mostly at computer, but not at any *one* computer, IYSWIM. No cubicles, no
: privacy. I think the rooms that have been set aside for pumping don't have
: computers...but I don't know for sure.

Wait. I am beginning to visualize the fullfillment of a marketing need for
pumps. Portable, battery powered pumps for working moms on the run. When
you just don't have time to sit down.

Larry
Old October 11th 03, 01:08 AM
zeldabee

Larry McMahan wrote:
zeldabee writes:

: Boy, I wish I could do work while pumping. Then I wouldn't have to pump
: at breaks, or make up the time. But the work I do generally involves a
: lot of running around, with only occasional sitting (for any length of
: time). It's mostly at computer, but not at any *one* computer, IYSWIM.
: No cubicles, no privacy. I think the rooms that have been set aside for
: pumping don't have computers...but I don't know for sure.

Wait. I am beginning to visualize the fullfillment of a marketing need
for pumps. Portable, battery powered pumps for working moms on the run.
When you just don't have time to sit down.

http://www.whisperwear.com/

It has a sketchy reputation, though.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 13th 03, 08:05 PM
Elaine

In article , Larry McMahan wrote:

Wait. I am beginning to visualize the fullfillment of a marketing need for
pumps. Portable, battery powered pumps for working moms on the run. When
you just don't have time to sit down.

Urk - you mean that such a thing doesn't exist? Hrm, just how
large is a double electric pump anyway? I think I have a
vision of a breast pump as a lot like a baby's head, only
with no baby attached. Pop 'em on, pull your shirt down and
go about your day, looking only sort of (ok, more than
sort of, but I work in IT) strange.

I might have to dismiss some of my more outlandish fantasies
of pumping and working.

Elaine
Old October 14th 03, 12:58 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Elaine wrote:

just how large is a double electric pump anyway?

Pictures at http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/ It's not
so much the size of the pump, as the fact that you're
tethered by about 2 feet of hose to the base (~7 pounds for
a PIS, closer to a pound for a Purely Yours), and the base
is tethered to an outlet unless you operate on batteries.

Pop 'em on, pull your shirt down and
go about your day, looking only sort of (ok, more than
sort of, but I work in IT) strange.

I can pump and type relatively discreetly, other than the
odd noise. I can't go anywhere discreetly without
completely unhooking everything.

I might have to dismiss some of my more outlandish fantasies
of pumping and working.

If you're operating on batteries, you could probably pump
with the pump in a sling.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt