Low fat oatmeal bars? squares? REcipes requested

Old January 18th 04, 09:11 PM
Ducky Lawyer

Default Low fat oatmeal bars? squares? REcipes requested

Hi all,
I'm looking for a low fat recipe which will help me consume my daily
'dose' of oatmeal, in a portable form. I'm newly back to work full
time, and can't count on having hot regular oatmeal for breakfast -- but
want to keep my consumption of oatmeal up, to help with supply.
I thought maybe a low fat oatmeal bar would work (like a cookie recipe
but with less fat and sugar by substituting apple sauce?). Any ideas?
Barbara (Bfing and pumping for two 13 mo nurslings!)

Old January 18th 04, 09:49 PM
Sue

When we are in a hurry, the instant microwavable oatmeal is fast and easy to
make. The makers of the Quaker oatmeal has some new oatmeal cereal bars, but
I'm sure they are not low fat. Maybe they do make some that are low fat
though, I don't know. Anyway, look by the cereals and oatmeal section in
your grocery store and you can decide if any of those fit your needs. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

.cable.rogers.com...

Old January 18th 04, 09:54 PM
Dawn Lawson

Sue wrote:
When we are in a hurry, the instant microwavable oatmeal is fast and easy to
make.

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!
No idea if it would work for a galactogogue after it's been processed
like that, either.)
you can make regular oatmeal in the microwave in a short time (sorry,
not sure how long, grandad is the one who does it at his place...I like
it better made "properly". ;-) )

The makers of the Quaker oatmeal has some new oatmeal cereal bars, but
I'm sure they are not low fat.

I'm not sure the low fat is a big deal, if it's low(er) sugar. I'd be
looking for a Zone type bar to get one with adequate protein to make it
worth calling breakfast. There are lots of recipe sites on the net that
might help.

FWIW, you can cut the sugar WAYYYYYY back on most recipes and not notice
at all in the finished product. I will snoop thru a book I have here
and see if there's anything good.

Dawn

Old January 18th 04, 11:53 PM
CY

Oooh, this one looks tasty:
http://www.allhomemadecookies.com/re...energybars.htm

LOADS mo http://www.allhomemadecookies.com/re...thycookies.htm

I just typed in "low fat oatmeal bar recipe" in Yahoo and came up with many
many hits. Have fun!

Old January 19th 04, 12:15 AM
Sue

Dawn Lawson wrote in message
yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!

Whatever, I like it.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 19th 04, 02:12 AM
Dawn Lawson

Sue wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote in message

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!

Whatever, I like it.

Hey, you're welcome to eat all manner of disgusting over-priced,
unhealthy (as in, lacking in healthfulness), artificially flavored,
over-advertised, highly-processed glop you desire ;-), but I see you
snipped out the relevent part....

Would it even WORK as a galatogogue after being so processed?

Old January 19th 04, 02:23 AM
Denise Anderson

Sue wrote:
When we are in a hurry, the instant microwavable oatmeal is fast and

easy to
make.

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!

I love that stuff! And yes, it works for milk production, or it has for me
for 3 kids. I can't stand regular oatmeal.

Old January 19th 04, 02:26 AM
Denise Anderson

Sue wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote in message

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!

Whatever, I like it.

Hey, you're welcome to eat all manner of disgusting over-priced,
unhealthy (as in, lacking in healthfulness), artificially flavored,
over-advertised, highly-processed glop you desire ;-), but I see you
snipped out the relevent part....

Would it even WORK as a galatogogue after being so processed?

Yes, it works and its healthier than eating nothing for breakfast, or a
candy bar. And from their website:
"Quaker Instant Oatmeal:
Quaker® Instant Oatmeal has nutrients packed into every box. Quaker® Instant
Oatmeal is a whole grain food, and as an excellent source of niacin,
riboflavin and iron, helps to bolster energy levels. Quaker® Instant Oatmeal
is packed with vitamin A, which helps promote healthy eyesight, and vitamin
B6, important for normal brain function. It also contains calcium, which is
critical in developing and maintaining strong bones and teeth. "

BTW, did you mean to come off sounding arrogant?

Old January 19th 04, 02:26 AM
Sue

Dawn Lawson wrote in message
Hey, you're welcome to eat all manner of disgusting over-priced,
unhealthy (as in, lacking in healthfulness), artificially flavored,
over-advertised, highly-processed glop you desire ;-), but I see you
snipped out the relevent part....

Would it even WORK as a galatogogue after being so processed?

Not a clue. I missed that she was looking for something as a supply booster.
I thought she was needing a quick breakfast.

And I hardly think that the oatmeal I eat is that unhealthy compared to the
other stuff I *could* eat. I eat more of the quick oats out of the box than
the microwave stuff, so I don't think one packet of quickie oatmeal once or
twice a week is really going to put me over the edge. I'm totally not
worried about it at all.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)