Low fat oatmeal bars? squares? REcipes requested

Old January 19th 04, 06:12 PM
Denise Anderson

Default Low fat oatmeal bars? squares? REcipes requested

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Denise Anderson wrote:

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Sue wrote:

When we are in a hurry, the instant microwavable oatmeal is fast and

easy to

make.

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!

I love that stuff! And yes, it works for milk production, or it has for

me
for 3 kids. I can't stand regular oatmeal.

Did you have supply issues? Or just ate oatmeal and had milk, no real
reason to attribute it to the oatmeal?
Just wondering if it was a "cause-effect" type relationship.

(not to be judgemental, but I find it endlessly fascinating how far from
real food ingredients the average diet has come, and how "trained" our
taste buds are to view the real thing as less desireable. Don't even
get me started on non-food products like Cheez Whiz and cheese slices
and the ads proclaiming "kids prefer the taste")

Dawn

I had supply issues, especially with my first daughter. Of course, I had to
pumped. But there was a bigger difference when I ate oatmeal with my
fenugreek than fenugreek alone.

Old January 19th 04, 06:15 PM
Denise Anderson

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
newsPJOb.168548$ts4.242@pd7tw3no...

Sue wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote in message

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!

Whatever, I like it.

Hey, you're welcome to eat all manner of disgusting over-priced,
unhealthy (as in, lacking in healthfulness), artificially flavored,
over-advertised, highly-processed glop you desire ;-), but I see you
snipped out the relevent part....

Would it even WORK as a galatogogue after being so processed?

Yes, it works and its healthier than eating nothing for breakfast, or a
candy bar.

I don't think eating nothing is what we're discussing, but instead, the
value of instant oatmeal cereal as a galactogogue, and I'm not convinced
with the glycemic index and carb/protein ratio of the stuff that it's
THAT much better than a candy bar.

And from their website:
"Quaker Instant Oatmeal:
Quaker® Instant Oatmeal has nutrients packed into every box.

Meaningless. ALL food has SOME nutrients. Simply by using a box as a
container, this statement is true, but says nothing useful.

Quaker® Instant
Oatmeal is a whole grain food, and as an excellent source of niacin,
riboflavin and iron, helps to bolster energy levels.

Niacin, riboflavin and iron bolster energy levels? Would have thought
there were far more relevent nutritional factors than that for energy
levels. And again, "bolstered energy levels" often means little more
than a blood sugar spike from the crazy glycemic index of most processed
food.

I guess if I were diabetic, I would have more concern over the glycemic
index. As it is, on the rare occassions we have regular oatmeal, I still
load it up with milk, maple syrup and brown sugar, so I'm sure that doesn't
help matters.

Old January 19th 04, 09:14 PM
Dawn Lawson

Sue wrote:

LOL, I haven't seen that commercial or the one Dawn talks about. They sound
cute.

They're gross displays of corperate America.

What kid wouldn't love to substitute something that they hate for
something that they like. I don't begrudge companies trying to make a profit
or a buck for that matter, that's what corporate America is all about.

It's an ideology you can chose to support, or one you can look at
differently. I have a BIG BIG problem with ads promoting grossly
unhealthy life choices to children (or adults for that matter) and the
subtle ways they make it all normal and wonderful. (And the non-science
used to do so, like "nutrients packed into every box")

HOWEVER, it is up to the consumer to decide what it will buy and not buy, so
getting my hen feathers ruffled over a commercial is a waste of my time.

It's a matter of being worldly and/or bright enough to discern the
reality from the advertising fantasy and chose wisely NOT to buy over
processed foods and unnecessary Things. Personally, I find honor in
leaving a smaller footprint on the world when it comes to consumer goods.

Dawn

Old January 19th 04, 09:15 PM
Dawn Lawson

Denise Anderson wrote:

I had supply issues, especially with my first daughter. Of course, I had to
pumped. But there was a bigger difference when I ate oatmeal with my
fenugreek than fenugreek alone.

Interesting.

Thanks for that response.

Dawn

Old January 19th 04, 09:43 PM
Irene

Dawn Lawson wrote in message news:egDOb.166473$ts4.148118@pd7tw3no...
Sue wrote:
When we are in a hurry, the instant microwavable oatmeal is fast and easy to
make.

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!
No idea if it would work for a galactogogue after it's been processed
like that, either.)

Does anyone know what exactly about oatmeal makes it a galactogogue?
I guess that would shed light on whether or not the extra processing
would affect those properties...

Irene
Old January 19th 04, 11:02 PM
Nikki

Ducky Lawyer wrote in message t.cable.rogers.com...
Hi all,
I'm looking for a low fat recipe which will help me consume my daily
'dose' of oatmeal, in a portable form. I'm newly back to work full
time, and can't count on having hot regular oatmeal for breakfast -- but
want to keep my consumption of oatmeal up, to help with supply.
I thought maybe a low fat oatmeal bar would work (like a cookie recipe
but with less fat and sugar by substituting apple sauce?). Any ideas?
Barbara (Bfing and pumping for two 13 mo nurslings!)

Oatmeal is not just for breakfast ;-) I used to eat it for lunch a
lot if you can make your own lunch at work.

Here is an oatmeal cracker recipe. I'm guessing you'd have to eat a
hell of a lot of crackers to get the supply boost but it might help
:-)

1 1/2 c Rolled oats
1 c Flour
1/2 c Wheat germ
1/2 ts Salt
1/3 c Oil
2/3 c Water

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately. Then combine them
together. Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick onto an oiled cookie
sheet. Score and bake at 325F for 25 to 30 minutes.

I've never had them but I keep the recipe because it seems so healthy
with the wheat germ and all. I keep thinking I'll make and eat them
instead of chips, lol. I love oatmeal, although I consistently pass
this recipe up for the oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate cookies ;-)

Also - pat yourself on the back for pumping for 13mo olds. I gave up
at that as soon as I cleaned up the birthday cake, lol.

--

Nikki
Old January 19th 04, 11:21 PM
Sue

Dawn Lawson wrote in message
It's an ideology you can chose to support, or one you can look at
differently. I have a BIG BIG problem with ads promoting grossly
unhealthy life choices to children (or adults for that matter) and the
subtle ways they make it all normal and wonderful. (And the non-science

used to do so, like "nutrients packed into every box")

Why do you care? If people want to buy unhealthy stuff, then that is there
life.

It's a paycheck for most of my friends that are in the advertising business.
It keeps their kids fed and a house over their heads. Also my sister is a
career fast food manager and is also a paycheck for her to support her
family. So I have a different outlook on it. I could care less what they do,
because I choose not to purchase certain items or go to certain places. I'm
instilling good healthy habits to my kids and they know what they should eat
and they do. Just because we eat at McDonalds in a blue moon, doesn't mean
we are doomed for death. People should be smart enough to know by now that
they shouldn't eat fast food all the time and processed food. It's their
choice and not mine. If they don't make the same choices, so be it. Doesn't
mean they need to stop the advertising. You just sound really bitter and
jealous Dawn, get over it. If you choose not to eat at certain places or eat
certain foods, good for you. Personally, my kids know that advertisers use
different techniques to bring in the consumer and lots of times the product
is definitely not what it is made out to be in the commercials. Like I said,
we have a different outlook because most of our friends are in the
advertising business. It's just a job for most of them and lots of them
don't even buy the product that they are selling. You don't have to buy what
they are selling.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 20th 04, 12:06 AM
Jenrose

"Ducky Lawyer" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
Hi all,
I'm looking for a low fat recipe which will help me consume my daily
'dose' of oatmeal, in a portable form. I'm newly back to work full
time, and can't count on having hot regular oatmeal for breakfast -- but
want to keep my consumption of oatmeal up, to help with supply.
I thought maybe a low fat oatmeal bar would work (like a cookie recipe
but with less fat and sugar by substituting apple sauce?). Any ideas?
Barbara (Bfing and pumping for two 13 mo nurslings!)

I have oatmeal every day at work--we have a microwave, that's all it takes.

I buy scottish style oats (Red Mill), and add 1/4 cup of oats, 3/4 cup of
water, stir, nuke at 600 watts for 4 minutes, stir, nuke another 2 minutes.
Then I toss in dried berries and ground flax. Yummy!

Otherwise... cook up a batch of oatmeal. Add 1/2 cup per egg and substitute
for eggs in any muffin recipe. If you can find an oatmeal muffin recipe and
substitute cooked oatmeal for the eggs while using dry also, you'll have a
very "oaty" muffin.

Jenrose

Old January 20th 04, 12:08 AM
Jenrose

Sue wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote in message

yukko!! :-P That stuff's awful. (not to mention the glycemic index!

Whatever, I like it.

Hey, you're welcome to eat all manner of disgusting over-priced,
unhealthy (as in, lacking in healthfulness), artificially flavored,
over-advertised, highly-processed glop you desire ;-), but I see you
snipped out the relevent part....

Would it even WORK as a galatogogue after being so processed?

We were in a hotel while traveling, and that was the only thing I could eat.
I mixed up a bowl of instant oatmeal, took one bite, then looked at the bowl
ruefully and said, "Well, it *looks* like oatmeal."

It tasted like salty-sweet library paste. I didn't eat it. It's *soooooo*
easy to nuke "real" oatmeal (old fashioned or scottish) in about the time it
takes to heat the water in the microwave for instant, that I can't eat the
instant stuff anymore.

Jenrose

Old January 20th 04, 12:13 AM
Dawn Lawson

Sue wrote:
Dawn Lawson wrote in message

It's an ideology you can chose to support, or one you can look at
differently. I have a BIG BIG problem with ads promoting grossly
unhealthy life choices to children (or adults for that matter) and the
subtle ways they make it all normal and wonderful. (And the non-science

used to do so, like "nutrients packed into every box")

Why do you care? If people want to buy unhealthy stuff, then that is there
life.

Unfortunately, the world isn't set up so that other people's lousy
choices don't affect my life. If I could pass it all off and not think
about it, I would, but burying my head won't make the world any better.
Have you noticed any thing that would make you think that perhaps
these mass choices and ideologies aren't a Good Thing for the world in
general? I have.

.. You just sound really bitter and
jealous Dawn, get over it.

Jealous of WHAT?? People eating crap and buying unnecessary junk and
thinking only of their immediate gratification? Hardly.

(BTEW, you really are a closet nasty person, it seems. "get over
it"....the last refuge)

If you choose not to eat at certain places or eat
certain foods, good for you.

Yup. We've been here before. You yourself said that only those who
LIVED the life without junk food et al. could comment on the choices of
others. Well, hi. That would be me.

It's just a job for most of them and lots of them
don't even buy the product that they are selling.

How sad is that?

Dawn