Just a vent...

Old May 10th 06, 07:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Just a vent...

"LietoFine" wrote in message
oups.com...
So we went to see the doctor today for a sort-of introductory visit for
the baby (since we had a home birth). DH went too. This is just a
Family Practice doctor and DH has had good experiences with him, but I
had some not as good experiences with him... Peter is almost 2 weeks
old now. Exclusively breastfeeding. After the doctor hears that,
first thing he says: "you really need to give him formula every now and
then, just so he can know the taste of it. Because if you end up
losing your milk, you'll have a rough couple days trying to get him to
take formula if he's never tried it before". Even DH was shocked.
He's read the AAP statements and I just re-read them... nothing there
about something like this.

What a lunatic. He should actually be reported for giving advice like that,
which contradicts the advice of every major health organisation I know. If
you can't trust his advice on something as basic and universally agreed upon
as this (a goal of 6 months exclusive breastfeeding) I have to wonder how
much you can trust anything else that comes out of his mouth. Get a new Dr,
fast.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old May 10th 06, 09:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

So we went to see the doctor today for a sort-of introductory visit for
the baby (since we had a home birth). DH went too. This is just a
Family Practice doctor and DH has had good experiences with him, but I
had some not as good experiences with him... Peter is almost 2 weeks
old now. Exclusively breastfeeding. After the doctor hears that,
first thing he says: "you really need to give him formula every now and
then, just so he can know the taste of it. Because if you end up
losing your milk, you'll have a rough couple days trying to get him to
take formula if he's never tried it before". Even DH was shocked.
He's read the AAP statements and I just re-read them... nothing there
about something like this.

And that was even before we mentioned wanting to wait for a little
while on the immunizations and not do a few of them. Eventually he
recommended that he's "too much of a straight arrow for us" and we
really need to find someone a bit more liberal or we'll just have a
huge fight on our hands every time we see him.

Where do people get these things?! Immuniation scare tactics and
formula needs for everyone...

I feel better now...

Cristi :]

Old May 11th 06, 03:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LietoFine" wrote in message
[...]

Must admit I was pleasantly surprised to not be told off by the doctor when
I took DD for her 4 month checkup yesterday. We've also decided to delay
vaccinations etc and I fully expected to be told how bad that was, but all I
got was "well thats ok, just keep her away from too many other kids in the
meantime"

Old May 11th 06, 04:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LietoFine" wrote in message
oups.com...
So we went to see the doctor today for a sort-of introductory visit for
the baby (since we had a home birth). DH went too. This is just a
Family Practice doctor and DH has had good experiences with him, but I
had some not as good experiences with him... Peter is almost 2 weeks
old now. Exclusively breastfeeding. After the doctor hears that,
first thing he says: "you really need to give him formula every now and
then, just so he can know the taste of it. Because if you end up
losing your milk, you'll have a rough couple days trying to get him to
take formula if he's never tried it before". Even DH was shocked.
He's read the AAP statements and I just re-read them... nothing there
about something like this.

You need a different Dr .... one that has *some* idea of infant health would
be good! Any chance you think he'd read the AAP stuff if you sent it to
him (or got AAP to mail him directly).

Here (Brisbane, Australia) we're blessed with a great family practice close
by.
All the Drs know their stuff wrt bf and infant health.
Actually one of the Drs is annoying at the other extreme ... when I took H
in to get antibiotics for conjunctivitis last year, she insisted that I "go
home and try squirting breastmilk into them for a couple of days". Then I
told her that I already had been doing that for a couple of days (as well as
salt-water swabs) and it was getting worse, not better. I ended up having
to go back to the other Dr in the practice to get anitbiotics.

Anyone you know with older kids & pro bf who can recommend a good Dr to you?
I switched to my current Dr after getting good reports about her from some
of the Mum's at playgroup.
Good luck in finding a new Dr.
Amanda (ex A&G&K&H)
Mum to K (3.5) and H (20 mo).

Old May 11th 06, 01:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I had a similar situation with my son when he was born. I switched
doctors that same day and told the other doctor why and sent him a ton
of literature. I told his nurse she was an idiot right to her face.

Hugs,

Jo

Old May 11th 06, 04:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LietoFine" wrote in message
oups.com...
So we went to see the doctor today for a sort-of introductory visit for
the baby (since we had a home birth). DH went too. This is just a
Family Practice doctor and DH has had good experiences with him, but I
had some not as good experiences with him... Peter is almost 2 weeks
old now. Exclusively breastfeeding. After the doctor hears that,
first thing he says: "you really need to give him formula every now and
then, just so he can know the taste of it. Because if you end up
losing your milk, you'll have a rough couple days trying to get him to
take formula if he's never tried it before". Even DH was shocked.
He's read the AAP statements and I just re-read them... nothing there
about something like this.

Why would you try and offer formula at all? If nursing is going well, then
don't try and risk anything by offering something new and different, I
think...
EVEN in the case that you end up not having a successful breastfeeding
experience with him (the baby, of course lol) and it turns out that bfing
isn't working and formula is your next option, I would work from there.
That's what my experience has been, anyways... DD refused to nurse at around
5 ish months of age. It was a horrible experience to deal with for me, as I
had had an awesome bfing experience with DS - not a single drop of formula
for him, as he nursed exclusively. The odd, odd time he took EBM in a
bottle, in the cases that we went out for an evening or I had been a bit
selfish and wanted a few drinks lol, and I did buy a container of formula
just in case, as it was my first experience with nursing and I figured just
in case. Never really used it as he basically went from breast right to
homo milk when he was a little over a year old, and at around 8ish months,
he was on a sippy cup all day with nursing at night and in the morning (he
was in daycare by about 8 or so months) so bottles were rare and formula was
nothing... DD was another story. Didn't have that same experience, and
eventually I went to formula in a bottle for her as she was losing weight
and downright cranky from being hungry... I offered her a bottle of straight
up formula and she took it like a charm. No problems at all with the change
of what was being put in her mouth and no problems with what she was
actually eating.

And that was even before we mentioned wanting to wait for a little
while on the immunizations and not do a few of them. Eventually he
recommended that he's "too much of a straight arrow for us" and we
really need to find someone a bit more liberal or we'll just have a
huge fight on our hands every time we see him.

I would have blabbed about how he's too ignorant for me, and my child, and
would have told him I will find a new doctor before he had a chance to make
it sound like YOU were not right for him, rather than HE not right for you!

Where do people get these things?! Immuniation scare tactics and
formula needs for everyone...

Quite frankly, formula sucks. Bottles in general, IMO, suck. I HATE
washing bottles. That's one thing I dispise. Can't put bottles in the
dishwasher as they collect gunk in them, which ends up getting baked on.
Leaves spots like crazy too, and I found the dishwasher wears nipples out
fast. Maybe it's our dishwasher I DISPISE bottles, and when bfing DS, I
had made that choice because I wasn't keen on the whole bottle washing and
sterilizing idea, and this was even before I actually had proven, concrete
info about how it's healthier. I think at the time, I was just lazier and
offering something made for my baby and ready as fast as I could unhook a
nursing bra clasp was a grand idea. Perfect temperature, no need to have to
make only the exact amount baby would eat, no need to toss in the fridge
whatever's not eaten, no need to remember when what was mixed and made to
keep track of when it goes bad... No need to run around looking for hot
water or a mic, as it's all ready to go!
I'd be put off quite a bit if someone gave me what you were given!

I feel better now...

Good to hear you feel better after that. I feel more angry now lol hehe

Cristi :]

Old May 11th 06, 06:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

LietoFine wrote:
After the doctor hears that,
first thing he says: "you really need to give him formula every now and
then, just so he can know the taste of it. Because if you end up
losing your milk, you'll have a rough couple days trying to get him to
take formula if he's never tried it before".

Ummmmm, I would like to tell that guy that he really needs to get a
nasogastric tube put down him every so often, so that he can get used
to it in case he needs to be fed that way. I'll volunteer to insert it!

Actually, what he REALLY ought to be told is that if that's the kind of
advice he gives, you don't wonder that he apparently has so many
patients who "lose their milk" (or rather have it essentially stolen by
poor medical advice). I'd much sooner take the chance of a "rough
couple of days" that might never happen (even if you did have to switch
in an emergency, most babies handle it fine) than hassle with giving
the baby tastes of formula for no good reason, as if there were no risk
in doing so.

--Helen

Old May 11th 06, 06:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

We're definitely switching doctors. It's just such a small area up
here that there aren't necessarily a lot of choices. I'm trying to get
some recommendations from people and I'll ask everyone at the next LLL
meeting if they know anyone who's good.

Cristi :]