14 month old not walking

Old July 22nd 05, 03:28 AM

Default 14 month old not walking

I either need reassurance or advice on this subject. I have a fourteen
month old son who doesn't want to walk . He cruises just fine on
furniture and he can walk while holding onto an adult with both hands
or pushing one of those little toys that encourage walking. He is not
behind in his language or anything. In fact he says about four words
pretty clear and his speech is getting clearer by the day. Any other
stories similar to this. Thanks!!

Old July 22nd 05, 07:34 AM
Macdonalds

One wise person said to me once, "do you see him in 20 yrs walking ?"
Of course!, he will walk when ready, just continue to give lots of praise
and encouragement.

Fiona
oups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 08:25 AM
P. Tierney

wrote in message
oups.com...
I either need reassurance or advice on this subject. I have a fourteen
month old son who doesn't want to walk . He cruises just fine on
furniture and he can walk while holding onto an adult with both hands
or pushing one of those little toys that encourage walking. He is not
behind in his language or anything. In fact he says about four words
pretty clear and his speech is getting clearer by the day. Any other
stories similar to this. Thanks!!

Our neighbod didn't walk until 15 months and now at 3.5
years, he's doing just fine.

P. Tierney

Old July 22nd 05, 01:13 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article .com,
wrote:

I either need reassurance or advice on this subject.

I have 3 boys. One of them walked at 9.5 months. The other two walked
at 17 and 18 months. You can't tell which was the early walker now that
they are 11, 9 and 4 years old.

--Robyn
Old July 22nd 05, 03:11 PM
Circe

"Barbara" wrote in message
ups.com...
Irrational Number wrote:
He's doing fine. 14-15 months is the median age
for walking, which means half the kids walk
before then and half after. He's cruising and
seems to be okay on his other milestones.

That number surprises me. I thought that most kids started walking
between 9 mos and 15 mos, with the median much closer to 12 mos. No
matter.

From everything I've seen, 13 months is the median age for walking. And
while the majority walk between 9 and 15 mos., the outliers can be as young
as 7 mos. and as old as 18 mos. and still be in the "normal" range.

The OP's baby is well within *normal* bounds by any account,
and has clearly developed all of the pre-walking motor skills. Just
enjoy the freedom of having a non-walking child while you can!

Definitely. There is no reason for concern in this case.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old July 22nd 05, 03:43 PM
Cathy Kearns

Neither of my daughter's walked until 15 months. Now, at 15 years, one is
an accomplished dancer, the other at age 11 plays soccer, tennis, and many
other sports that require a kid to walk. So relax, and rejoice. You won't
believe how much MORE stuff he'll be able to get into when he's walking.