11 month old SCREAMING baby--- What to do?!?!

Old September 27th 06, 02:46 PM posted to misc.kids
PattyMomVA

Default 11 month old SCREAMING baby--- What to do?!?!

"enigma" wrote and I snipped:
does answering the phone with the Tokay still
attached to my finger (because jerking it out of his mouth
would hurt him) redeem me? i got blood all over...
lee

I had no idea what you were talking about, but I found this on Wikipedia:
"Tokay [gecko] owners report that the only effective way (other than
waiting) to get the lizard to release its hold is to submerge it in water."

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old September 27th 06, 05:54 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

My wife and I have an 11-month-old boy. About 2 months ago he started
to scream occasionally, which we thought was kind of cute. It was a
happy scream, or at least not a bawling-his-head-off unhappy scream.
Well, since then it has gotten so much worse that it is driving us
crazy. If we are directly interacting with him, then he won't scream as
much, but if we leave him for a moment, still within visible range, he
screams and screams as if he is showing off his VERY POWERFUL voice. We
have tried saying "No" firmly, gently pinching his cheek, flicking his
nose, but all have no effect. Trying to get him into some Teletubbies
videos, but we don't want to deal with this problem by plonking him
down in front of the television. Although if it stopped the
screaming...

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? I am converned for my wife's
sanity who is caring for him all day.

I'm guessing he doesn't have any/many words yet? He's probably just
experimenting with his voice and yes, it can be quite irritating if not
downright uncomfortable. He is probably enjoying the side effect of the
reaction he gets. I posted something similar back when my dd was 11 months.
She still can be quite a shrieker at times. The best thing to do is to
ignore it. Once he stops getting a reaction it will become quite boring. And
no, the Teletubbies are not going to solve this "problem".

JennP.

Old September 27th 06, 05:57 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

lee rolling a dog should also be a last resort

Rolling?

JennP.

Old September 27th 06, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"JennP" wrote in message

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

lee rolling a dog should also be a last resort

Rolling?

Yeah, I'm not sure what that means, either.

Old September 28th 06, 04:49 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
"PattyMomVA" wrote:

"enigma" wrote and I snipped:
does answering the phone with the Tokay still
attached to my finger (because jerking it out of his mouth
would hurt him) redeem me? i got blood all over...
lee

I had no idea what you were talking about, but I found this on Wikipedia:
"Tokay [gecko] owners report that the only effective way (other than
waiting) to get the lizard to release its hold is to submerge it in water."

LOL -- and there I was thinking that Lee was really too attached to her wine.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 28th 06, 12:02 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Chookie wrote in

:

In article ,
"PattyMomVA" wrote:

"enigma" wrote and I snipped:
does answering the phone with the Tokay still
attached to my finger (because jerking it out of his
mouth would hurt him) redeem me? i got blood all
over... lee

I had no idea what you were talking about, but I found
this on Wikipedia: "Tokay [gecko] owners report that the
only effective way (other than waiting) to get the lizard
to release its hold is to submerge it in water."

LOL -- and there I was thinking that Lee was really too
attached to her wine.

heh, no, it was at work actually.
Tokays are notoriously nasty tempered little buggers, & i'm
usually careful around them. i was cleaning his cage & getting
ready to feed him when the phone rang. it wasn't supposed to
be my job to answer the phones, i was there to take care of
the animals, but none of the sales people could be bothered to
do thier job apparently, so...
i turned my head to see if anyone was near the phone &
Mr.Tokay (mid-size, about 8") took the opportunity to latch on
to my finger. he got a really good grip & started the head
shake routine. other than it does really hurt, i think it's
kind of funny. they're like little bulldogs. i knew he wasn't
likely to let go, so i just went & answered the phone with him
still attached...
the store also had a Tokay that had escaped about 2 years
before i started working there. we saw him every once in a
while in the upstairs storage area, or skuttling across the
ceiling... he was almost 18". if i ever had a chance to grab
him, i don't think i would have
lee he lived on cockroaches from the restaurant next door in
the mall
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old September 28th 06, 12:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"enigma" wrote in message
you don't have a dog, do you?
rolling is forcing a dog over on his back. basicly it's
proving to the dog that *you* are Alpha & s/he is subordinate.
some dog trainers swear by it, but i think it's not such a
good idea. there are certain dogs that will take it as a
challenge & try to get back at you.
i've had better luck using more cooperative techniques (&
neutering for the stubborn case my Malamute was).

Oh I know what you are talking about now. We used a version of that per our
vet's recommendation with our Samoyed when she would run away. DH would hold
her upside down and bring her back. It was a way for her to learn that DH
was Alpha wolf. It worked wonders for us.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old September 28th 06, 10:11 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Thanks, all, for your thoughts and suggestions. We will do our best to
ignore those ear piercing shrieks. We live in a large house that has 8
other suites, so we are especially concerned with what the rest of the
place has to hear from within our walls. Hopefully it will pass soon...

Marcus

wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
Marcus