13 month old refuses to eat everything

Old September 30th 06, 09:23 PM posted to misc.kids
lisabell

Default 13 month old refuses to eat everything

toypup wrote:
DS still frequently skips dinner because he does not like what's being
served. I try to offer one thing that he will eat, like bread, but he
sometimes won't eat that. I can't short-order cook for him because he has a
very limited palate and DD only wants to eat what he eats, so she would up
with the same poor diet. I do make one deal that if he tries just one bite
of any of the dishes on the menu and he doesn't like it, he can have
whatever he wants that's not junk food after we're all done eating, but he
won't even do that. He'd rather starve.

I used to worry that my kids would turn out to be very fussy eaters
too. One of the stategies that has seemed to work very well for us is
to specifically talk to them about the food content and about the need
for a varied and nutritious diet. When we all sit down for a meal we
discuss what the various food groups on the table are and what is the
benefit of each type of food. We try to associate this with tangible
benefits they can appreciate, like "carrots have lots of vitamin A
which is good for your eyes. Remember how you noticed that balloon way
up in the sky yesterday? That may be because your vision is very good
from all the carrots you eat...".

Understanding something of the nutritional content of what they eat
does seem to motivate them to eat better, and to have a better
understanding of the need for varied foods. When we are out and they
encounter unfamiliar foods they will often ask if it is nutritious and
what it is good for. It also helps them understand that eating is not
all about what tastes good, and while junk food might taste good it
doesn't help their bones to grow, their immune system to fight off
illnesses, or their muscles to be strong. A friend of mine with a fussy
toddler simplifies this to "this burger will help make you strong like
superman", with some success.

Just some ideas...

--Lisa bell
Mom to Gabriella (8) and Michaela (6)

Old September 30th 06, 09:30 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"lisabell" wrote in message
oups.com...

I used to worry that my kids would turn out to be very fussy eaters
too. One of the stategies that has seemed to work very well for us is
to specifically talk to them about the food content and about the need
for a varied and nutritious diet. When we all sit down for a meal we
discuss what the various food groups on the table are and what is the
benefit of each type of food. We try to associate this with tangible
benefits they can appreciate, like "carrots have lots of vitamin A
which is good for your eyes. Remember how you noticed that balloon way
up in the sky yesterday? That may be because your vision is very good
from all the carrots you eat...".

That's only good if the child eats carrots. If the child doesn't eat
carrots but can see the balloons, he doesn't see the need for carrots.

Understanding something of the nutritional content of what they eat
does seem to motivate them to eat better, and to have a better
understanding of the need for varied foods. When we are out and they
encounter unfamiliar foods they will often ask if it is nutritious and
what it is good for. It also helps them understand that eating is not
all about what tastes good, and while junk food might taste good it
doesn't help their bones to grow, their immune system to fight off
illnesses, or their muscles to be strong. A friend of mine with a fussy
toddler simplifies this to "this burger will help make you strong like
superman", with some success.

DH is extremely picky. If the kids see him being picky and he's big and
strong, so far as they can tell, it doesn't help that argument, true as it
may be. Considering he won't try unfamiliar food, it's hard to get the kids
to do it, though I can sometimes get DD to try new things.

Old September 30th 06, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"toypup" wrote in message
m...

"lisabell" wrote in message
oups.com...

I used to worry that my kids would turn out to be very fussy eaters
too. One of the stategies that has seemed to work very well for us is
to specifically talk to them about the food content and about the need
for a varied and nutritious diet. When we all sit down for a meal we
discuss what the various food groups on the table are and what is the
benefit of each type of food. We try to associate this with tangible
benefits they can appreciate, like "carrots have lots of vitamin A
which is good for your eyes. Remember how you noticed that balloon way
up in the sky yesterday? That may be because your vision is very good
from all the carrots you eat...".

That's only good if the child eats carrots. If the child doesn't eat
carrots but can see the balloons, he doesn't see the need for carrots.

Lol. My dad used to say "eat it-it'll put hairs on your chest". I'm not sure
how old my sister was when she said "I don't want a hairy chest" and refused
to eat".
Debbie

Old September 30th 06, 11:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"toypup" wrote:

"lisabell" wrote in message
roups.com...

I used to worry that my kids would turn out to be very fussy eaters
too. One of the stategies that has seemed to work very well for us is
to specifically talk to them about the food content and about the need
for a varied and nutritious diet. When we all sit down for a meal we
discuss what the various food groups on the table are and what is the
benefit of each type of food. We try to associate this with tangible
benefits they can appreciate, like "carrots have lots of vitamin A
which is good for your eyes. Remember how you noticed that balloon way
up in the sky yesterday? That may be because your vision is very good
from all the carrots you eat...".

That's only good if the child eats carrots. If the child doesn't eat
carrots but can see the balloons, he doesn't see the need for carrots.

And also there are lots of other ways to get Vitamin A. I would NOT
go there. Some kids will resist eating BECAUSE you tell them it is
nutritious - they will sense that you really want them to eat and they
can 'get your goat' by not eating it.

[...]

Also, our concepts of what is 'good' and nutritious change over the
years. When I was bringing up my kids, there was no information or
knowledge that trans-fats were bad.

For any child that has pickiness issues or any child that is the least
bit rebellious, this is a strategy that is going to backfire.

Old October 1st 06, 11:35 AM posted to misc.kids
lisabell

toypup wrote:
"lisabell" wrote in message
oups.com...

I used to worry that my kids would turn out to be very fussy eaters
too. One of the stategies that has seemed to work very well for us is
to specifically talk to them about the food content and about the need
for a varied and nutritious diet. When we all sit down for a meal we
discuss what the various food groups on the table are and what is the
benefit of each type of food. We try to associate this with tangible
benefits they can appreciate, like "carrots have lots of vitamin A
which is good for your eyes. Remember how you noticed that balloon way
up in the sky yesterday? That may be because your vision is very good
from all the carrots you eat...".

That's only good if the child eats carrots. If the child doesn't eat
carrots but can see the balloons, he doesn't see the need for carrots.

Carrots were just an example. With a little imagination it can be
adapted to anything. The point is that when you reinforce the healthy
things they do eat, and they gain some understanding of their purpose,
they are encouraged to take an interest in other things.

[...]

Then support DD's healthy choices and you might find your son gets
drawn into them. I also strongly believe talking about the food and its
content without necessarily trying to tell the kid they must try it,
can make them want to try it of their own accord. I found that the "you
must try one bite of this even if it makes you gag" approach failed
miserably in comparison, because even if they did take that one bite,
they were already decided and never became motivated to try a second
bite.

Old October 1st 06, 02:02 PM posted to misc.kids
lisabell

Rosalie B. wrote:
And also there are lots of other ways to get Vitamin A.

That only makes it better. If you can talk about the different ways to
get different vitamins, they can decide to eat source B if they don't
like source A, and so on.

I would NOT
go there. Some kids will resist eating BECAUSE you tell them it is
nutritious - they will sense that you really want them to eat and they
can 'get your goat' by not eating it.

Seems to me a bit like saying some kid might refuse to brush his teeth
if you tell him it will prevent cavities. The whole point with food is
not to ram it down his throat and create a power battle by telling him
he *must* eat it or he must try it, but to educate him about food
choices and what underlies them (valuable information in itself, IMHO).
Ultimately he/she will make the choices about what to eat himself, I am
merely suggesting one arm him with a good basis for making such
choices, sooner rather than later.

Also, our concepts of what is 'good' and nutritious change over the
years. When I was bringing up my kids, there was no information or
knowledge that trans-fats were bad.

What's your point? Nutritional information is continuously being
discovered, as is medical information. That's hardly an excuse to
ignore it.

For any child that has pickiness issues or any child that is the least
bit rebellious, this is a strategy that is going to backfire.

Well, we have both a picky child who has issues with smells and
textures of food, and a very independant and obstinate child. Few years
ago we had serious limitations on what they would eat, I believe I even
posted to this group about it. Now I would say they are among the
better eaters in their peer group and other parents who sometimes feed
them are constantly commenting on what good eaters they are. FWIW.

Old October 1st 06, 04:23 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"lisabell" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rosalie B. wrote:
And also there are lots of other ways to get Vitamin A.

That only makes it better. If you can talk about the different ways to
get different vitamins, they can decide to eat source B if they don't
like source A, and so on.

LOL, DS would just tell me he wants a vitamin.

Well, we have both a picky child who has issues with smells and
textures of food, and a very independant and obstinate child. Few years
ago we had serious limitations on what they would eat, I believe I even
posted to this group about it. Now I would say they are among the
better eaters in their peer group and other parents who sometimes feed
them are constantly commenting on what good eaters they are. FWIW.

I think it might be a maturing of taste buds and the child. I know I was a
picky eater and what brought me out of that was my taste buds changing.
When I was picky, everything had a very powerful, overwhelming taste. I
remember knowing that carrots were good for the eyes and teachers telling us
to eat spinach so we can grow big and strong like Popeye (sounds like a bad
example, but the kids liked Popeye). Didn't do a bit of good motivating me.

Old October 2nd 06, 01:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie

"Welches" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
m...

"lisabell" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

My MOm said that too, but we knew she was joking.

Old October 3rd 06, 06:57 PM posted to misc.kids
elanamig

JennP wrote:
"elanamig" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't only feed pureed/mashed food, but majority of his food at this
stage is given with spoon. Pasta, soups, cut up meat, yogurts, etc...
If he self-feeds pasta or meat, half at least will be on the floor.
But I'd go for it if he'd take it. He won't. No meat for him, and
pasta is much more fun all over the table than in his mouth.

Try giving him the spoon himself. At about 12 months both of my kids didn't
want to be fed by me anymore. They wanted to feed themselves with a spoon.
HTH

JennP.

Jenn,
He'd play around with a spoon, stick in into the bowl of food, and dump
the content promptly on the floor. I'm resorting now to supplemental
formula feedings, because he looks thinner. Made an appt. with our
doctor to weigh/measure him.

Old October 3rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to misc.kids
elanamig

Penny Gaines wrote:
Chookie wrote:

[snip]
At 13mo, how would he tell you he is hungry? Are you absolutely certain
you haven't missed his hunger cues?

Before this food strike, I would notice that he's hungry when he'd
start to chew on random objects. Even when he is teething, he isn't
much of a chewer, so I know that when he bites his toys, he wants to
eat. Also, I would periodically tell him "Eat, eat". He knows this
word, and would reply with "Um, Um", and get up to go to the kitchen.
If he doesn't reply, he's not interested. Well, lately, he doesn't
chew on toys, and my "Eat, Eat" prompts go unanswered. At certain
intervals (every 4 hours, lets say), I'd pick him up and would put him
in his high chair (by showing him a piece of bread or cheerios,
otherwise it'd be a power struggle) and would try feeding him. Doesn't
really work.

Do you mean he is delibrately dropping it, or is he just being a messy
eater?

Oh, no, deliberately, 100%. He'd drop the food and watch it hit the
floor, and if I give him another piece, it would follow. He would make
no attempt whats so ever to even try to put it in his mouth.

One think I observed with one of mine, is that he would spend two or
three days apparently living on air, and then the next day or two eating
lots and lots. Keeping a food diary over a week might show that he is
actually eating more then it seems, because the eating pattern is so uneven.

I'd give it a shot, though I'm pessimistic about it. It's a good idea
in general though, so I'll try. Thanks.

Today I tried using bread instead of the spoon to scoop up his food.
He actually ate, to my great surprise...

Hoorah!

Too bad it was a one time event. Using bread instead of a spoon does
not work anymore. My entire extended family is out of ideas at this
point. We'll see what the doc will say on Saturday...

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three