Okay, Need Clarification, All Nite BreastFeeding?

Old May 1st 04, 05:22 PM
Carol Ann

Default Okay, Need Clarification, All Nite BreastFeeding?

The baby WANTS to have me in her mouth, so I allow it even if it lasts for
hours upon hours through the nite?

I lay down and feed so that I can sleep at nite. It's okay for Morgan to
stay latched on?

I'm needing clarification. It IS okay to allow her to stay latched on for
hours? She cries when I try to unlatch. She doesn't necessarily eat, but
she does suckle.

Thanks!!

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/299ot ---Pictures of Morgan

Old May 1st 04, 06:16 PM
Donna

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
The baby WANTS to have me in her mouth, so I allow it even if it lasts for
hours upon hours through the nite?

I lay down and feed so that I can sleep at nite. It's okay for Morgan to
stay latched on?

If the co-sleeping area is safe, then yes, it's ok for her to stay latched
on all night. But it's *also* OK for you to put her down and not have her
attached to you all night. I would be wary of turning yourself into her
pacifier. Consider trying to transition her to an *actual* pacifier,
something to satisfy the non-nutritive sucking that she, like all babies,
needs to do.

Donna

Old May 1st 04, 07:58 PM
Carol Ann

The baby WANTS to have me in her mouth, so I allow it even if it lasts
for
hours upon hours through the nite?

I lay down and feed so that I can sleep at nite. It's okay for Morgan to
stay latched on?

If the co-sleeping area is safe, then yes, it's ok for her to stay latched
on all night. But it's *also* OK for you to put her down and not have her
attached to you all night. I would be wary of turning yourself into her
pacifier. Consider trying to transition her to an *actual* pacifier,
something to satisfy the non-nutritive sucking that she, like all babies,
needs to do.

Donna

I've tried several types of pacifiers, but can't seem to find one that she
likes. Any suggestions?

Old May 1st 04, 08:12 PM
Daye

On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:58:56 GMT, "Carol Ann"
wrote:

I've tried several types of pacifiers, but can't seem to find one that she
likes. Any suggestions?

My babies both preferred the Nuk orthodontic ones. Make sure it is
the right size too. (I know... Most people will know this, but a
friend was trying to use a 6mo+ with her newborn and couldn't figure
out why the baby didn't want it.)

I find that with Leopold that he will reject it at first. Then I just
gently hold it in his mouth for a few seconds to get the idea of it,
and then he is away. I just put it in his mouth, and then I hold 1
finger on it until he accepts it.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old May 1st 04, 08:57 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

The baby WANTS to have me in her mouth, so I allow it even if it lasts for
hours upon hours through the nite?

I lay down and feed so that I can sleep at nite. It's okay for Morgan to
stay latched on?

I'm needing clarification. It IS okay to allow her to stay latched on for
hours? She cries when I try to unlatch. She doesn't necessarily eat, but
she does suckle.

I think that's a personal decision. Sounds
like she's a very sucky baby. If you don't want her
latched on all night, then she may well fuss about
it, maybe even for a long time. A pacifier might
help if you want to use one. If you don't mind her
being latched on all night, then that's up to you.
It likely will set a precedent with her that she
will attempt to maintain over time. (But then again,
if one assumes it is a habit already, as it seems
to me, then it's not a matter of *whether* to change
it, but *when* and I don't know that now is better
than later.)
*Personally* that would drive me crazy, but
I am a very light sleeper. I would probably try to
give a pacifier and see if I could get a break.
However, that's *totally* a personal decision based
on my personal preferences.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 1st 04, 09:01 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

I've tried several types of pacifiers, but can't seem to find one that she
likes. Any suggestions?

I think different babies like different things.
Mine *hated* any orthodontic pacifiers and anything
silicone. They (all three) liked the Playtex ones
shaped like butterflies (but *not* the orthodontic
ones--they make them both ways, so you have to check
carefully, especially since they tend to get mixed
up on the hooks).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 1st 04, 10:00 PM
Donna

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

I've tried several types of pacifiers, but can't seem to find one that she
likes. Any suggestions?

Nothing but to keep trying different types.

Donna

Old May 1st 04, 11:41 PM
Daednu

Carol Ann wrote:
I've tried several types of pacifiers, but can't seem to find one that she
likes. Any suggestions?

Sounds like my baby when he was that age. He wanted to suck all the
time. We've always used the Avent pacifiers.
If your baby doesn't take well to pacifiers, have you tried using your
finger? It might work well as a transition. When you unlatch, slide your
finger in there for her to suck on. Then slip the pacifier in after.

~Daednu

Old May 2nd 04, 04:29 AM
Nikki

Daednu wrote:
Carol Ann wrote:
I've tried several types of pacifiers, but can't seem to find one
that she likes. Any suggestions?

Sounds like my baby when he was that age. He wanted to suck all the
time. We've always used the Avent pacifiers.
If your baby doesn't take well to pacifiers, have you tried using your
finger? It might work well as a transition. When you unlatch, slide
your finger in there for her to suck on. Then slip the pacifier in
after.

I used my finger with Luke and it worked pretty good. He would get gassy
and uncomfortable if he comfort nursed to much. He also didn't get the
suction on the finger like he did at the breast so it was a lot easier to
get my finger out without waking him up.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 2nd 04, 04:58 AM
Leslie

I've tried several types of pacifiers, but can't seem to find one that she
likes. Any suggestions?

Mini-mams were the only kind my babies would ever take. But I prefer the pinky
finger myself.

Leslie