uncomfortable lying down to nurse

Old July 27th 03, 12:07 AM
azure

Default uncomfortable lying down to nurse

I nurse my daughter lying on my side, with the lower breast. She lies
beside me with her head to the side, and it looks uncomfortable but she
doesn't seem to mind.

I am finding it terribly uncomfortable for some reason I can't fathom. My
hips feel all funny. A pillow between my legs sort of helps but not a lot.
I get my partner to lean against me and it helps a bit. I've tried one or
two pillows under my head and it doesn't make any difference. I'm thinking
it may be our mattress, and that I'm having to slightly strain to keep from
tilting too far towards or away from her.

Does anyone have any hints for finding a comfy position? It is heaven when
I can drift off to sleep but I am finding it hard to do so.

Leah

---

Old July 27th 03, 04:19 AM
K.B.

When I first started nursing I read to lie on your side with the baby and
you both toughing bellies and his head on the bed. I found that didn't work
for me. I put him on my arm by my bicep and I sort of lie more towards my
back. For some reason my boob falls to the side. If I lie on my side I have
to hold my boob up for him and I can't sleep. I do wake up with a sore neck
though. But I also feel like I am protecting him from falling out of bed or
my husband rolling on him when he is on my arm. Try moving her around until
you are both happy.
Kris
"Corrine" wrote in message
A body pillow slightly under you, behind your back should help.

--
Corrine Mahar-Sylvestre
Quinte Doula Service

Old July 27th 03, 04:31 AM
Laurie

azure wrote in message ...
Does anyone have any hints for finding a comfy position? It is heaven

when
I can drift off to sleep but I am finding it hard to do so.

Leah

A lot of times I put my arm under my head, but of course it can fall asleep.
I also bend my bottom knee to keep myself from rolling into that funny,
uncomfortable position I think you're describing!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 14 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

---

Old July 27th 03, 05:14 PM
KC

"azure" wrote in message ...
I nurse my daughter lying on my side, with the lower breast. She lies
beside me with her head to the side, and it looks uncomfortable but she
doesn't seem to mind.

Is she lying on her belly or her side? She should be laying on her
side, belly to belly with you, so she doesn't have to crane her neck.
Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

Does anyone have any hints for finding a comfy position? It is heaven when
I can drift off to sleep but I am finding it hard to do so.

Besides that I would say keep trying different things until you find
what works for you guys. We are all different shapes. I have found
lots of odd positions that work better for us than the standard
positions the books say, and the positions that work for us have
changed as my baby has grown.

Good Luck,

KC
Old July 27th 03, 09:06 PM
AnnaS

I think it depends a bit on breast size for what positioning will work best
for you. I'm about a 36C right now and I find it most comfortable to feed
with the top breast while side-lying. I keep my knees slightly bent and put
my bottom arm straight out (near my husband's pillow). The baby lays on his
side without anything under his head. I put my pillow between my shoulder and
my head and I don't use any other extra pillows. I can sleep like this for a
couple hours without waking up one bit stiff. I just tried various positions
until I found something comfortable.

Anna

azure wrote:

I nurse my daughter lying on my side, with the lower breast. She lies
beside me with her head to the side, and it looks uncomfortable but she
doesn't seem to mind.

I am finding it terribly uncomfortable for some reason I can't fathom. My
hips feel all funny. A pillow between my legs sort of helps but not a lot.
I get my partner to lean against me and it helps a bit. I've tried one or
two pillows under my head and it doesn't make any difference. I'm thinking
it may be our mattress, and that I'm having to slightly strain to keep from
tilting too far towards or away from her.

Does anyone have any hints for finding a comfy position? It is heaven when
I can drift off to sleep but I am finding it hard to do so.

Leah

---

Scheherazade's birthstory (stillbirth, long) Emily Pregnancy 59 March 8th 04 10:30 PM
Lying Circe General 17 February 21st 04 10:56 PM
Lying Kane General 0 February 13th 04 06:58 PM
Nurse Jenn's vagina again (also: Frances Cowan, PhD: 'injuries of perinatal onset remain poorly understood') Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 July 30th 03 01:32 PM
MD says Gastaldo 'insane' (also: Nurse Jenn's genital piercing CORRECTION) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 2 July 13th 03 07:37 PM