Antibiotic question

Old July 28th 03, 01:17 PM
Mogget

Default Antibiotic question

Hi, sorry to be a pain again, but could some kind person please tell me
whether an antibiotic called something like fluelaxacillin [1] is safe
while breastfeeding? He says it is, but I wanted to check first.

Saturday night DH & I both got lots of gnat bites. Sunday morning his
were mere specks, while each of my twelve had swelled up to
egg-yolk-sized inflamed lumps that *itch* so *badly*, not to mention the
pressure of the fluid in them hurting so much when I stand.

I can't help wondering why an antibiotic cream wouldn't have been
better. Any ideas what I can use? I avoid antibiotics as much as
possible.

Thanks.

[1] Trying hard to decipher the doctor's scrawl
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat
Old July 28th 03, 06:23 PM
Circe

Mogget wrote:
The upshot is that, being allergic to erythromycin too, there are
apparently no antibiotics suitable for breastfeeding. I ended up with
Cipro. So a five-day course, pump & dump, and for three days
afterwards too. Arse. I don't have enough in my freezer to keep the
Froggiegirl going for eight days. Well, I did, but I just donated
most of it. Arse.

For the record, Cipro is approved by the AAP for use by nursing mothers. And
there are *plenty* of other antibiotics that are neither penicillins nor
erythromycins that are also safe for use by nursing moms. (I was recently on
Levaquin, for example, and *that's* an L3 according to Hale--no known
pediatric concerns.)

Btw, could you please post a link to where L1 & whatnot is defined? I
never know what the categories mean. Thanks.

You need to get a copy of Hale's _Medications and Mother's Milk_, I think.
Dr. Hale has a website, though, which you should be able to find using a
search engine, and that might include the definitions.

FYI, anything from L1 through L3 is generally considered acceptable for use
in nursing mothers, with L1 being essentially no risk and L3 being no known
risks but use with some caution (i.e., maybe not if you're nursing a newborn
or if you have to take it for a long period of time). L4 is considered
"possibly hazardous". As of the 2002 edition, Hale's classified Cipro as L4,
with these caveats:

"Pseudomembranous colitis in one infant. Observe for diarrhea. Tooth
discoloration in
several infants reported.... Current studies seem to suggest that the amount
of
ciprofloxacin present in milk is quite low. The use of this family of
antibiotics in breastfeeding mothers requires a risk-vs-benefit assessment."

Alternatives are Norfloxacin and Oflaxacin (both L3). "If a fluoroquinolone
is required,
ofloxocin, levofloxacin, or norfloxacin are probably the better choices for
breastfeeding mothers."

But Cipro might be an L3 in the latest edition since, as I've said, it's
been approved for use by the AAP in breastfeeding mothers.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"He [Gray Davis] be allowed to serve out his term." -- Letters to the
Editor [probably a typesetter's error, but too funny to pass up.]

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Old July 28th 03, 11:26 PM
CY

I am allergic to Penicillin and Vancomycin and Erythromycin makes me throw
up and I have no problems taking other antibiotics with bf. Normally I am
gioven Keflex (I think it's Cepholoxin - sp?) and whoever told you that
Cipro is the only thing is full of crap! Like another poster said the Hales
website or Medications and Mothers Milk would be a good investment...

Good luck!
"Mogget" wrote in message
In message , iphigenia
writes

Floxacillin. It's an L1, quite safe. Penicillins all are fine with BF (at
least, I'm not aware of a penicillin that isn't).

Arse.

When I read the leaflet, I realised it was as you say a penicillin,
which I am allergic to, which the doctor should have known because my
notes have a sodding great red "allergic to penicillin" sticker on them.

The upshot is that, being allergic to erythromycin too, there are
apparently no antibiotics suitable for breastfeeding. I ended up with
Cipro. So a five-day course, pump & dump, and for three days afterwards
too. Arse. I don't have enough in my freezer to keep the Froggiegirl
going for eight days. Well, I did, but I just donated most of it.
Arse.

Still, I shouldn't complain; the infection in my legs is real bad and it
needs sorting out before I get septicemia. It's just... what a waste!
I know it's no big deal really, and if my supply drops I can always get
it back later.

Old July 29th 03, 12:37 PM
Mogget

In message YphVa.22353$Bp2.14555@fed1read07, CY
writes
I am allergic to Penicillin and Vancomycin and Erythromycin makes me throw
up and I have no problems taking other antibiotics with bf. Normally I am
gioven Keflex (I think it's Cepholoxin - sp?) and whoever told you that
Cipro is the only thing is full of crap!

Yes indeed, that doctor is full of crap. I don't bother with him unless
it's something really urgent, because something like this *always*
happens.

I am so upset. The infection was spreading so very rapidly that I
decided to start taking the Cipro, and by the time I found from you lot
that there were alternatives, I was already committed.

I got three bags of frozen milk out to thaw overnight, guess what, in
the morning I found that the corners had split and the milk was spoiled.
I could weep.

Meantimes it's the worst of all possible worlds. My freezer stash turns
out to be useless, I have to arse around making up bottles and I STILL
have to pump.

Like another poster said the Hales
website or Medications and Mothers Milk would be a good investment...

I just tried amazon & it was unavailable :-(
--
Mogget, not happy
Old July 29th 03, 04:24 PM
iphigenia

Mogget wrote:

Meantimes it's the worst of all possible worlds. My freezer stash
turns out to be useless, I have to arse around making up bottles and
I STILL have to pump.

Not at all, you can BF just fine while on Cipro.

I just tried amazon & it was unavailable :-(

Really? It came up available for me: http://tinyurl.com/iegz

Hale's cats: http://tinyurl.com/iegt

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 29th 03, 08:48 PM
Mogget

In message , iphigenia
writes
Mogget wrote:

Meantimes it's the worst of all possible worlds. My freezer stash
turns out to be useless, I have to arse around making up bottles and
I STILL have to pump.

Not at all, you can BF just fine while on Cipro.

Well - actually I'm not going to risk it. L1 & L2 I would risk, but not
L3. It's my personal standard. Barbara gave a list of some possible
effects, one of which was tooth discoloration. DH had an antibiotic
when he was very little, or possibly it was his mum while she was still
nursing him, but it was then found that this antibiotic damaged baby
teeth. Upshot is, he's had painful teeth all his life while the rest of
his family have perfect teeth. Inconvenient though this whole situation
is, I would rather not risk it. I do hope DD will remember how to nurse
when it's all over though :-)

On the plus side, the galloping infection is definitely improving -
though it is scary just how bad it got, and how quickly.

I just tried amazon & it was unavailable :-(

Really? It came up available for me: http://tinyurl.com/iegz

Ah. Amazon.co.uk doesn't have it, though. I've just pre-ordered a used
copy, on the off-chance that one will come in. Even your link could
only offer shipping in 3-5 weeks.

Hale's cats: http://tinyurl.com/iegt

Thanks for that; I've bookmarked it because I will doubtless forget.
Still got mashed potato for brains, you know :-(
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat
Old July 30th 03, 12:36 AM
may

I'm also allergic to penicillin. After DD was born I had a catheter for a
week and the doctor gave me Macrobid.

take care,
Amy
Isabella's mommy 10/8/02

Old July 30th 03, 01:58 PM
Mogget

Blimey, it's just one thing after another. Today I had three blocked
ducts. I got them clear eventually (ow ow ow) but it does make me
appreciate what a good job babies make of draining breasts. Hey, good
thing I had the foresight to go on antibiotics, eh? Slaps self on
forehead
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat
Old July 30th 03, 03:08 PM
iphigenia

Mogget wrote:
Hey,
good thing I had the foresight to go on antibiotics, eh? Slaps self
on forehead

Just keep your fingers crossed that you don't end up with a yeast infection
from the ABs...

OK, so I'm evil. Sorry! I really hope you feel better soon.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 22nd 03, 05:30 PM

Mogget wrote:
[...]

try dumping some on your infection, too it will have all sorts of
antibodies in it
--
Edith
oht nak

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM