biting and pinching problem

Old February 24th 04, 07:05 PM
ted

Default biting and pinching problem

My little almost one year old DD chews on everything in sight. She
started biting us recently. She bit DH the other day I saw couple of
drops of blood too. She's also pinching all the time. I know she's way
too early to know what she's doing. Is this behavior going to go away
or will she do it until she grows up? If we tell her or act as if it's
not ok to bite or pinch, will she understand? Did any of you have to
deal with this?

Thanks.
Old February 24th 04, 07:11 PM
Sophie

"ted" wrote in message
m...
My little almost one year old DD chews on everything in sight. She
started biting us recently. She bit DH the other day I saw couple of
drops of blood too. She's also pinching all the time. I know she's way
too early to know what she's doing. Is this behavior going to go away
or will she do it until she grows up? If we tell her or act as if it's
not ok to bite or pinch, will she understand? Did any of you have to
deal with this?

Thanks.

Wow, have you never had to discipline her before to know that telling her
"no" or re-directing her will work??

Um yeah, you can tell her and show her to stop and it'll work - be
consistent. My kids usually only bit or pinched when we picked them up and
they were really tired. We would just say "no biting/pinching" and put the
child down.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old February 24th 04, 07:21 PM
Donna

"ted" wrote in message
m...
My little almost one year old DD chews on everything in sight. She
started biting us recently. She bit DH the other day I saw couple of
drops of blood too. She's also pinching all the time. I know she's way
too early to know what she's doing. Is this behavior going to go away
or will she do it until she grows up? If we tell her or act as if it's
not ok to bite or pinch, will she understand? Did any of you have to
deal with this?

I dealt with this, when Sarah was at about the same age as your DD. I
started by saying "NO" firmly, when she bit me. Which didn't work. So then
I started putting her down with a firm NO every time she bit. That didn't
do anything, either. My third disciplinary phase was saying NO, putting her
down immediately, and leaving the room whenever she bit. Still no effect.

So I bit her back sharply. Once. On the back of the hand.

Problem solved. Completely.

But if you can effect a change without biting her back, that is probably for
the best.

Donna (whose mother had to bite *her* when she was a baby, too, apparently)

Old February 24th 04, 07:42 PM
Clisby

ted wrote:
My little almost one year old DD chews on everything in sight. She
started biting us recently. She bit DH the other day I saw couple of
drops of blood too. She's also pinching all the time. I know she's way
too early to know what she's doing. Is this behavior going to go away
or will she do it until she grows up? If we tell her or act as if it's
not ok to bite or pinch, will she understand? Did any of you have to
deal with this?

Thanks.

I would imagine a lot of people have had to deal with this. Sure, you
act as if it's not OK to bite -it isn't. My first child bit only when
she was really tired - she'd lay her head on my shoulder or lap, and
then (half-asleep) bite me. I'd yell, "Ouch!", put her down, and walk
away. She quit pretty quickly. My 2nd was more of a problem, but
luckily, by the time he started biting, there was a 6-year-old sister to
smack him every time he bit her. He's 2 now, and seems to be over it.

Clisby

Old February 25th 04, 12:46 AM
toto

On 24 Feb 2004 11:05:02 -0800, (ted) wrote:

My little almost one year old DD chews on everything in sight. She
started biting us recently. She bit DH the other day I saw couple of
drops of blood too. She's also pinching all the time. I know she's way
too early to know what she's doing. Is this behavior going to go away
or will she do it until she grows up? If we tell her or act as if it's
not ok to bite or pinch, will she understand? Did any of you have to
deal with this?

Thanks.

Biting is a difficult problem and you need to determine the causes
before you know what to do. Talk to your DH and decide what to
do and be consistent. Both of you should do the same thing when
she bites.

Is she teething? If so, shadow her, stop her before she bites and
say *we bite teething rings (or apples) not people* and give her
the alternative that she can bite. Since she is chewing on everything
in sight, I suspect that teething is more the problem than anything
else.

Is she angry or frustrated? Again stop her before she can bite,
say *that makes you mad* *we use words to tell people we are
angry*

Is she tired? Again stop her from biting before she can bite and
give her a pacifier or teething ring she can bite while she rests
and is getting ready to go to sleep. You can say *oh, you are so
sleepy* to acknowledge that you understand why she is biting.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old February 25th 04, 02:49 PM
ted

snip

Wow, have you never had to discipline her before to know that telling her
"no" or re-directing her will work??

snip

Thanks for your reply.
About your question.. Nope. She's my angel baby. my pride and joy. If
her dad so much as yells at her for tearing up his newspaper, forget
her, I'll cry
I know biting and pinching are serious issues. We'll try the things
you suggested. Thanks.
Old February 25th 04, 03:17 PM
Nikki

"ted" wrote in message

My little almost one year old DD chews on everything in sight. She
started biting us recently. She bit DH the other day I saw couple of
drops of blood too. She's also pinching all the time. I know she's
way too early to know what she's doing. Is this behavior going to go
away or will she do it until she grows up?

It is a very normal behavior but it probably won't go away if you don't
address it. At her age I would tell her "No bite" or "No pinch" and put her
down on the ground each time she does it. If that doesn't work I'd put her
down on the ground and walk away from her. That should work for this age.
Be very consistent. Never laugh or blow it off, even if it is light/doesn't
hurt. Always intercept her if you can. They learn faster if they aren't
allowed to make contact IME. Show her how to do gentle hands. Doing lots
of things like 'High Fives' seemed to help my son that liked to slap. It
was the same sensory input but done appropriately. She might like playing
with firm playdough - to pinch it and stuff.

Sophie wrote:

Wow, have you never had to discipline her before to know that telling
her "no" or re-directing her will work??

:-) IIRC it was at Hunter's 15mo (maybe 12mo) well baby check when the
doctor asked if he responded to the word 'no'. I had to admit I'd never
used it, lol. We just did all the redirecting and child proofing. He
wasn't very mischevious though. Luke got an earlier introduction ;-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 25th 04, 05:12 PM
Sophie

"ted" wrote in message
m...
snip

Wow, have you never had to discipline her before to know that telling

her
"no" or re-directing her will work??

snip

Thanks for your reply.
About your question.. Nope. She's my angel baby. my pride and joy. If
her dad so much as yells at her for tearing up his newspaper, forget
her, I'll cry

Lol. Wow, she does sound good.

I know biting and pinching are serious issues. We'll try the things
you suggested. Thanks.

Good luck