books to buy

Old January 6th 05, 12:22 AM
Anne Rogers

Default books to buy

I'm planning on doing an order from Amazon.com, the advantage of being in
Korea, is that ordering from the US is a very similar price to ordering from
the UK, I'm ordering the following

Mother Massage : A Handbook for Relieving the Discomforts of Pregnancy
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (I'm told this is better than the book by
Bradley himself)

Any other suggestions? I'm considering getting something about bedrest as
it's looking increasingly likely that some kind of bedrest will have to
happen, even if only as a pain relief measure.

Thanks

Anne

--
Anne

read about out adventures in Korea at
http://www.livejournal.com/users/annekrogers

Old January 6th 05, 07:04 AM
Jenrose

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
news:1104970942.f65955ed490aabca71b4e5ca897637e0@t eranews...
I'm planning on doing an order from Amazon.com, the advantage of being in
Korea, is that ordering from the US is a very similar price to ordering
from the UK, I'm ordering the following

Mother Massage : A Handbook for Relieving the Discomforts of Pregnancy

Excellent! Love, love this book.

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (I'm told this is better than the book
by Bradley himself)

Been a long time since I read this.

Any other suggestions? I'm considering getting something about bedrest as
it's looking increasingly likely that some kind of bedrest will have to
happen, even if only as a pain relief measure.

I'd say if you want books for bedrest, go for braincandy, not scary
pregnancy stuff. g I've read more in the past 3 months than in the past 6
years.

Books that changed how I looked at birth:

By Michel Odent: Birth Reborn and "The Farmer and the Obstetrician".
LeBoyer's "Birth Without Violence" is another "oldy but goody".
Henci Goer's Thinking Woman's Guide is good, but her "Obstetric Myths vs.
Research Realities" is even better, though more technical and older.

For a good general reference, Penny Simkin's books are great--she did one
with a couple other people called Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn
which is very balanced in approach to interventions. The book "The Birth
Partner" is excellent for Dads and has a quick reference section that's
handy. I emailed Penny a few weeks ago and she gave me some advice about
exercises in pregnancy that could help me keep some of my muscle strength at
a time when moving was just *painful*. Mostly iso-whatever-you-call-em's
where you just consciously tighten and release your muscles without
necessarily moving the joints--it helped and I'm now a lot more mobile than
I was. (That was when I was having a lot of pelvic pain and rib pain--now
it's mostly the pelvis that hurts.)

Sheila Kitzinger helped my confidence level a lot and changed how I looked
at birth.
For homebirth oriented reading, Aviva Jill Romm's book, Natural Pregnancy is
excellent.

Janet Balaskas (sp?) Active Birth was one that made an impression on me when
I was pg with dd. So did A Good Birth, A Safe Birth, by Korte and Scaer.

Oddly enough, the only book I've cracked related to pregnancy this time has
been Anne Frye's Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year,
but I don't recommend it for "light" reading and you won't need most of it.
It's also a bit dated, simply because there has been an explosion in new
tests and technologies in the past 7-8 years since the book was published.

The least scary birth video I've seen anywhere, any time is "A Clear Road to
Birth", which is sold directly by www.keyframeediting.com. While oriented
toward unassisted birth, it is not dogmatic and the births are just simple,
beautiful and not scary in the least. Pretty much all women catching their
own babies very simply without a lot of fuss, not one of them on her back.
Not quite, "Deirdre, would you get that?" but with the feel of incorporating
birth into normal life.

Jenrose

Old January 6th 05, 08:28 PM
Beach Mum

I'd highly recommend "So That's What They're For", which is about
breastfeeding and at least one book about baby's first year. Personally, I
loved Weistbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" for sleep issues
and Dr. Sears' baby book (I can't remember the title and lent it out) for
everything else. If you're on bedrest, I'd also recommend the "Girlfriends
Guide to Pregnancy" since it's a howl. However, it doesn't really contain
any good information and contains a lot of not-so-good information but I
really enjoyed the read.

OTOH, People Magazine is a personal fave of mine when I'm stuck in bed....

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03