PE/Recess time mandates

Old September 21st 03, 03:19 AM
dragonlady

Default PE/Recess time mandates

In article ,
"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote:

: I am a PE teacher in CA. Our state ed code requires 200 minutes of PE
every
: ten days (excluding recess)

Gotta wonder what happens when kids get to high school? Here in Colorado I
don't think there is a state requirement for HS, and if there is it's very
low. The school I'm currently at requires 1 *semester* of PE over all 4
years of high school. This likely varies between schools and is probably
the bare minimum requirement for the district.

CA requires more. My kids had to pass 4 semesters of PE in High School,
and all of their classes meet the same number of hours -- so PE is every
day in a "regular" schedule, or every other day for two hours in a block
schedule.

And I can't see that any of them benefited in any way from HS PE.

meh

Old September 21st 03, 04:25 AM
toto

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:36:58 -0600, "ColoradoSkiBum"
wrote:

: I am a PE teacher in CA. Our state ed code requires 200 minutes of PE
every
: ten days (excluding recess)

Gotta wonder what happens when kids get to high school? Here in Colorado I
don't think there is a state requirement for HS, and if there is it's very
low. The school I'm currently at requires 1 *semester* of PE over all 4
years of high school. This likely varies between schools and is probably
the bare minimum requirement for the district.

http://www.advocatesforeducation.org...052002_gym.htm

Only thirteen states require PE credits for graduation. Of these, four
allow participation in athletics to satisfy the PE requirement. Six of the
states require only one year or less of PE. Here are several examples.

Florida: Participation in an interscholastic sport, whether at the
freshman, junior varsity or varsity level for a full season, shall satisfy
the 0.5 credit requirement in PE.

Illinois: Allows a school board to excuse pupils enrolled in grades 11
and 12 from engaging in PE for 1) ongoing participation in an
interscholastic athletic program; 2) enrollment in academic classes
required for admission to an institution of higher learning; 3) enrollment
in academic classes that are required for graduation from high school.
Allows a school board to excuse students in grades 9-12 enrolled in
marching band for PE credit. School boards may also excuse students
in grades 9-12 enrolled in a Reserve Officer's Training Corps program
(ROTC) from PE.

New Mexico: With the approval of the local school board, participation
on an athletic team or in an athletic sport during the school day may
count toward fulfillment of the required PE unit.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old September 21st 03, 04:32 AM
toto

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:21:36 GMT, "Amy" wrote:

I am a PE teacher in CA. Our state ed code requires 200 minutes of PE every
ten days (excluding recess)

I found a site that gives the requirements by state

http://www.drwoolard.com/commentary/...quirements.htm

Alabama
Grades K-8 are required to take 30 minutes minimum per day;
in high school, one year or two semesters are required.

Alaska
High schools require one unit of health and/or P.E. for graduation.
Other levels are determined by local school districts.

Arizona
P.E. is required by the state in grades 1-8. High school
requirements are decided by local school districts.

Arkansas
P.E. is mandated K-12. The amount of time required varies
by grade level.

California
P.E. is required by the state for all levels. Time required
varies by grade level. One hundred percent of schools
provide P.E. at all levels.

Colorado
Only local school districts can impose requirements. There are
no statistics available for time requirements. Only 20% of high
schools might have P.E.

Connecticut
P.E. is mandated in every school curriculum. One hundred
percent of schools provide P.E. at all levels. Time requirements
vary by grade level.

Delaware
No mandated P.E. in grades K-6. However, most schools provide
30-60 minutes per week. P.E. is mandated in grades 7-8.

District of Columbia
Ninety-five percent of lower grades have a P.E. program. Middle
and high school levels are required to have a P.E. program.

Florida
No P.E. requirements for grades K-8. Two semesters is mandated
for the high school level.

Georgia
Grades K-6 have 90 hours required. Grades 7-8 might have a
vailable classes but they are not mandatory. In high school,
two classes are required and are usually done in 9th grade.

Hawaii
Grades K-6 are expected to participate in P.E. Grades 7-12
must participate one year or two semesters.

Idaho
Physical education is required for grades 1-8. High schools
are not required to offer physical education.

Illinois
The state requires daily physical education grades K-12.

Indiana
P.E. is mandated at all levels as part of a larger program. Two
semesters are required to graduate from high school.

Iowa
P.E. is mandated for all grade levels. Time requirements vary by
grade level.

Kansas
P.E. is mandated by the state for grades K-6 and 9-12 but
not 7-8.

Kentucky
P.E. is mandated for all grade levels. Time requirements vary by
grade level.

Louisiana
P.E. is mandated for all grade levels. Grades 9-12 must pass 270
hours of P.E. and 90 hours of health to graduate.

Maine
Grades K-6 and 9-12 have specific requirements. Grades 7-8
requirements are determined by local school districts.

Maryland
P.E. is required by the state for all levels. Each local school
district provides a program.

Massachusetts
P.E. is required by the state for all levels. Each local school
district provides a program.

Michigan
P.E. is required by the state for all levels. Each local school
district provides a program.

Minnesota
State standards mandate P.E. for all levels but no times or
specific grades are mentioned.

Mississippi
Grades K-8 have mandated P.E. It is not mandatory for high
schools.

Missouri
All levels have required P.E. It must be passed in high school
to graduate.

Montana
Grades K-6 have daily P.E. requirements. Grades 7-8 have one
semester per year required. Two semesters are required for
grades 9-12.

Nebraska
Only local school districts can impose requirements. No statewide
standards or fitness testing.

Nevada
P.E. is only required for high school. No statewide standards or
fitness testing.

New Hampshire
All schools offer P.E. and local school boards determine time
requirements.

New Jersey
Grades 1-12 must have 150 minutes of health, P.E. and safety
per week.

New Mexico
For grades K-6, students must meet standards from the state.
One year of P.E. is required for 7th grade. For grades 9-12,
one year is required during the four.

New York
At all levels, 120 minutes per week every semester is required.

North Carolina
P.E. is required by grades K-8 but they have no specific time
requirements. One semester is required for grades 9-12.

North Dakota
P.E. is mandated for all grade levels. Time requirements vary by
grade level.

Ohio
Schools are required to teach P.E. as part of a total school
program. Local districts decide specific minutes per day or
week that are required.

Oklahoma
School districts decide how to meet state P.E. standards.

Oregon
P.E. is required for all grade levels. One year of 130 hours is
required for graduation from high school.

Pennsylvania
P.E. is mandated for all grade levels. Time requirements vary
by grade level.

Rhode Island
The state requires 100 minutes of health and P.E. every year
at all levels.

South Carolina
P.E. is required for all levels, but no specific minutes per week
are required for grades K-8. Grades 9-12 must complete one
semester of personal fitness and one semester of lifetime fitness.

South Dakota
There are no statewide requirements. Local school districts
determine requirements.

Tennessee
P.E. is required for grades K-8. Grades 9-12 can take P.E.
as an elective.

Texas
The state requires that P.E. be offered to all students. Local
school districts decide for grades K-8. Specific requirements
are set for grades 9-12.

Utah
P.E. is required for all levels but times vary. Some P.E. is
required to graduate from high school.

Vermont
Grades K-8 have P.E. every year, twice a week. Grades 9-12
must have three semesters. One hundred percent of the schools
at all levels offer P.E.

Virginia
For Grades K-7, the states requires P.E. is provided. Grade 8
is one of four electives. Grades 9-12, two units of health and
P.E. are required to graduate.

Washington
Grades K-8 are required to conduct P.E. classes for at least
100 minutes per week each year. High schools must offer
physical education for all four years.

West Virginia
For grades K-8, P.E. is required every year. Grades 9-12 must
complete one class.

Wisconsin
Grades K-6 must meet three times a week. Grades 7-8 meet a
minimum of once a week. High schools require 1.5 credits for
graduation.

Wyoming
Each local school district sets specific requirements. One
hundred percent of all schools at all levels offer P.E.

Information from the
National Association for Sport and Physical Education

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old September 21st 03, 06:14 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: four
: allow participation in athletics to satisfy the PE requirement.

snip
:
: New Mexico: With the approval of the local school board, participation
: on an athletic team or in an athletic sport during the school day may
: count toward fulfillment of the required PE unit.

This at least makes sense. Those kids are usually working harder during
their team practices than any PE class I've ever seen. I think they should
make the same exception for the marching band kids.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old September 21st 03, 01:59 PM
toto

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:14:18 -0600, "ColoradoSkiBum"
wrote:

: four
: allow participation in athletics to satisfy the PE requirement.

snip
:
: New Mexico: With the approval of the local school board, participation
: on an athletic team or in an athletic sport during the school day may
: count toward fulfillment of the required PE unit.

This at least makes sense. Those kids are usually working harder during
their team practices than any PE class I've ever seen. I think they should
make the same exception for the marching band kids.

I agree and they do make an exception for marching band as well in some
states. I would like to see students in high school be able to pick a class
in a particular sport or physical activity rather than take some general class
too. My dd substituted modern dance for one year and that was as active
as any sport. Her show choir was physically active as well.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old September 21st 03, 02:02 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

toto wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:21:36 GMT, "Amy" wrote:

I am a PE teacher in CA. Our state ed code requires 200 minutes of PE every
ten days (excluding recess)

As for PE in HS not benefiting kids - that depends on what they do.
If it is skill sports, not much benefit IMHO. DD#3 was required to do
some running in PE that she would not have done otherwise and got her
more fit than she would have otherwise been at that point. Although
in those days (early 80s) Maryland required only one year of PE at the
HS level.

When I went it was a two years requirement (early 50s), and I was
exempted from the 2nd year because of asthma. [As a freshman I
participated because the teacher worked with the doc. As a sophomore,
the teacher ****ed the doc off and so he wrote a blanket exemption.]

grandma Rosalie
Old September 21st 03, 02:03 PM
Penny Gaines

Sue wrote in :

dragonlady wrote in message
CA requires more. My kids had to pass 4 semesters of PE in High School,
and all of their classes meet the same number of hours -- so PE is every
day in a "regular" schedule, or every other day for two hours in a block
schedule.

And I can't see that any of them benefited in any way from HS PE.

I know I certainly didn't benefit from PE in high school or in any other
grade. I hated gym class and spent more time trying to get out of class
than I did trying to learn how to jump over the hurdles or to run the
mile. I think with so many kids these days being involved in
extracurricular sports, that gym class should teach good eating habits and
learn how to eat properly and how to incorporate a good exercise program
in your life. I am really not sure how playing six weeks of football,
soccer or floor hockey is really helping kids these days. I could be
totally off though since my views on sports is not very good.

There was a program on TV in the UK recently, which put some modern day
pupils into a 1950s style school enviroment. Although the kids were fed
stodgy 1950s style diets, they also had to spend about an hour a day on
old-fashioned PE. More then half of them lost weight.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old September 21st 03, 02:34 PM
Banty

In article , Rosalie B. says...

x-no-archive:yes

toto wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:21:36 GMT, "Amy" wrote:

I am a PE teacher in CA. Our state ed code requires 200 minutes of PE every
ten days (excluding recess)

As for PE in HS not benefiting kids - that depends on what they do.
If it is skill sports, not much benefit IMHO. DD#3 was required to do
some running in PE that she would not have done otherwise and got her
more fit than she would have otherwise been at that point. Although
in those days (early 80s) Maryland required only one year of PE at the
HS level.

Right.

Unless a PE semester is devoted to a skill sport, not much is learned in a skill
sport. My experience with PE was a lot of standing around waiting for a chance
to do anything, standing waiting for (for example) my tennis partner get a lob
over to me, standing again waiting for her to retrieve my mis-shot lob, etc.,
etc., etc. Then likewise for the week or so we were supposed to be doing golf,
then likewise for ping pong, etc, etc.

Gymnastics was hilarious. We were spread over several pieces of equipment which
were only sometimes attended by an instructor, we just stood in line for one try
at each piece of equipment per class. I was too tall for most of the stuff -
uneven parallels - the bottom bar would hit me right on the kneecaps and I was
to demonstrate some kind of bouncing move on these - yow - yow - yow - yow -
yow.

I started doing the Canadian Women's Air Force fitness routine on my own, in the
family basement, to get consistent exercise. I really wish they would have
aerobics or something like that in PE. Instead, it was mainly the rather
athletic PE teachers' affair of doing stuff with athletically talented students
(who all had other outlets) while leaving the rest of us to struggle.

It was also prime time for bullies in the lockerroom. We'd be released five
minutes before the bell, few showers, so I was sweat and deordant smelling for
the next class.

PE was pretty useless in high school.

Banty

Old September 21st 03, 03:10 PM
Naomi Pardue

Unless a PE semester is devoted to a skill sport, not much is learned in a
skill
sport. My experience with PE was a lot of standing around waiting for a
chance
to do anything,

When I went to HS in NY state, PE was required every semester, and youcouldn't
get out of it by taking extracurricular sports. (However, your grade in PE
didn't count towards your GPA, and some schools, in fact, just gave a pass/fail
grade for it.)
I remember generally being fairly active during most of my PE classes. I went
to a pretty new (at the time) HS, so there were several gyms, a large outdoor
playing field, and a pool. We swam, we did track and field, we played sports.
No, I was never very good at any of it (though I did swim well enough to pass
my life-saving test), but they kept us pretty busy.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Review: Once Upon a Time in Mexico (* 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 September 14th 03 11:30 PM
time outs? ivler General 74 August 30th 03 11:59 AM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM
discipline Naomi Pardue General 40 August 2nd 03 10:17 AM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM