PE/Recess time mandates

Old September 28th 03, 01:37 AM
Sue

Default PE/Recess time mandates

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
Uhhh... so you don't think that it might be, in some way, helpful for kids

learn how to play soccer/softball/baseketball/volleyball/ etc.

Not at all. Getting picked last and hating every minute of gym class to play
those stupid games and get humiliated did nothing for me as an adult. I'd
much rather have today's PE have aerobics/weight lifting or training/eating
healthy/swimming for an all around healthy attitude. If the kids are
interested in soccer or other team sports, there is enough after-school
activities in those areas to fill a lifetime of sports for the kid. If a PE
class wants children to know the rules of games, then something like that
could be in a book form and have written tests.

--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old September 29th 03, 01:00 AM
toto

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:38:58 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

But how would you ever know whether you like to play them if you don't ever
learn to play them?

You can learn enough about them to know you won't like them without
ever playing them at all.

I liked some sports and not others. And I knew that without having
to play them in gym.

The Outer Limits
Old September 29th 03, 02:15 AM
Naomi Pardue

Well, that addresses part of the problem. But then you have the less
talented
players - this expression being especially appropos here - standing out in
left
field!

Only if the PE teacher allows it. Ok. this month the kids are playing
softball. Today, Susie plays left field. Next class, she plays first base.
Next week,she's on second base, and so on. Everyone plays all the positions.
(And in other team sports, where the activity levels are more equitablly
distributed than in softball, this is even less of an issue.)

So it's really only good for the purpose of getting kids exposed to the
sports
and rules. That's a pretty good argument for team sports in PE

I'd say that there are many goals for PE, with that being one of them. As long
as team sports aren't the only thing being done in the class, I don't see a
problem with them.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old September 29th 03, 02:21 AM
Naomi Pardue

Not at all. Getting picked last and hating every minute of gym class to play
those stupid games

Soo... did you hate gym class because you were picked last (which I already
said was a bad way to run team sports), or because you had to play the games?

I was not athletic in school. (Not athletic now either.) but team sports were
really no worse for me than anything else. We DIDN"T pick teams by having the
captain pick kids most of the times (and yeah, whnen they did,I was usually
picked last, or nearly so, and hated it).

Old September 29th 03, 02:28 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote:

Well, that addresses part of the problem. But then you have the less
talented
players - this expression being especially appropos here - standing out in
left
field!

Only if the PE teacher allows it. Ok. this month the kids are playing
softball. Today, Susie plays left field. Next class, she plays first base.
Next week,she's on second base, and so on. Everyone plays all the positions.
(And in other team sports, where the activity levels are more equitablly
distributed than in softball, this is even less of an issue.)

Speaking as a non-athletic sort, this would have been even worse! It's
bad enough to be shuffled to a position where your inadequacies will do
as little damage to your team as possible. If you are stuck in a key
position, where everyone can REALLY see and concentrate on how bad you
are -- and where you have a higher chance of making an error that will
cost points for your team -- it is downright humiliating. And my fear
of being humiliated kept me from being able to learn any skills -- it
really froze me.

I didn't know until I was in grad school that I'm not totally inept. I
finally had a chance to play games with people who had a different
attitude, and it gave me a chance to really try without fear of being
laughed at (at worst) or just disappointing my teammates (at best).
Until then, my fear of being humiliated really dominated my involvement
in any team sport. I'm still not much good -- and these days I also
have some physical limitations that would keep me on the sidelines,
anyway -- but I wonder what skills I might have been able to develop
under other circumstances.

I did OK in PE when we were doing individual activities, and especially
non-competitive ones (like dancing -- which I know CAN be done
competitively!) But all I learned about team sports in PE was to
detest, loathe and fear them.

meh

Old September 29th 03, 03:46 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: I did OK in PE when we were doing individual activities, and especially
: non-competitive ones (like dancing -- which I know CAN be done
: competitively!) But all I learned about team sports in PE was to
: detest, loathe and fear them.

Ditto.
--
ColoradoSkiBum
Old September 29th 03, 03:48 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: I hated playing the games, I hated knowing that no one wanted me
: on their teams (no matter how the teams were chosen), I hated the
: disappointed groans of my team mates when they saw the ball coming
: towards me (and the laughs and derision when I made an error), I hated
: knowing I was no good and not likely to get better . . .
:
: I probably ought to add that I was incredibly unpopular in grade school,
: and things didn't get better for me until about my last year of high
: school. PE was only one arena where that played out, but it gave other
: kids LOTS of opportunities to let me know what they thought of me.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm betting that those experiences have
had an enormous effect on you as an adult. Why would anyone want to put
their child through that, just so they can grow up with a complete lack of
self-confidence?
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Review: Once Upon a Time in Mexico (* 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 September 14th 03 11:30 PM
time outs? ivler General 74 August 30th 03 11:59 AM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM
discipline Naomi Pardue General 40 August 2nd 03 10:17 AM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM