Quick introduction of myself :)

Old April 4th 04, 07:47 PM
Carol Ann

Default Quick introduction of myself :)

My name is Jill, and I am 34 weeks pregnant with my first (a girl). I have
decided to breastfeed, and haven't yet been able to take a bf class but am
going to very soon-- I am due in May! (I'm in North Carolina, USA)

snip

But I would like to ask....what do I need to have on hand to get started??

want to be sure I have the few things I need before I have the baby so I

can
just focus on the baby when we get home and can just go to it!

Jill

Hi, Jill! Can you believe that you are ALREADY 34 weeks pregnant? I can
remember when you just discovered you were having a baby! Woo-hoo!

For me, the things I find most helpful for my breastfeeding experience have
been:

~Speaking to the Lactation Consultant in the hospital a few times. They
were able to help me with latching and any questions.

~Speaking to the Lactation Consultant while at home. She was able to answer
a few questions I had.

~Asking specific questions here and on MKP. I am amazed at the knowledge.

~Reading the book that was given to me from the hospital about Caring for
the Newborn. I just realized this morning that it had the answers to just
about all of my breastfeeding questions...even about the growth spurts!

~So, bottom line is all you need is patience, breasts and the baby! Oh, I
also have 100% Lanolin that I use sparingly on my tender breasts.

Wahoo!! Jill, you are so close!! I'm so happy for you!

~Carol Ann
Mother to Morgan, March 24, 2004

Old April 4th 04, 08:13 PM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote

Mother to Morgan, March 24, 2004

Thank you, and I am so happy for you too, that Morgan is so very beautiful
and healthy. She is a doll!!

I still can't believe you've had her-- I remember back when you were 28
weeks etc! And how it seemed like so far way for me to get to that point!

Jill

Old April 4th 04, 08:51 PM
Carol Ann

- You'll need nursing pads within 2-5 days - depending on when your
milk
comes in.

Actually, you may not, although it's definitely a good idea to have a

small
supply in. I haven't leaked at all, and DS is now 5 months old. I mention
it because I sometimes worried that it meant I wasn't producing enough
milk. It didn't!

Not really a product, but I'd suggest thinking now about setting up a
really comfortable "nursing station", somewhere you can happily sit for
hours at a time, since you'll be nursing a *lot* in the early weeks at
least. We have a rocker-glider chair, which is wonderful - if buying new
furniture is something you're going to be able to and want to do, I highly
recommend considering one. But just things like making sure you have
somewhere comfortable to sit with access to entertainment e.g. TV,
telephone, table for water etc., might save you scrabbling to sort that

out
later.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

I certainly wish I had the glider and ottoman. I use the boppy pillow and
other firm pillows and tend to nurse where I can see a television to keep me
occupied on her long feedings.

I suppose it would be better if I nursed and spoke more to her, but she
tends to fall asleep so quickly. I also think I should get a cd player for
the nursery so that I can play music while I nurse. Hmmm??

It IS important to think a few steps ahead though. Having your drink,
telephone and remote nearby is very important. I can't tell you how many
times the phone rang and I couldn't get to it b/c I left it in the other
room!

~Carol Ann

Old April 4th 04, 08:54 PM
Carol Ann

If you can figure out nursing lying down (it's not too hard, but I think
it depends on how large your breasts are), that is great for the middle
of the night nursings.

Good luck!!

I'm having difficulty with this one. I'm about a 40 E (before my milk came
in). How can I do this?

~Carol Ann

Old April 4th 04, 10:03 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Carol Ann wrote:

If you can figure out nursing lying down (it's not too hard, but I think
it depends on how large your breasts are), that is great for the middle
of the night nursings.

I'm having difficulty with this one. I'm about a 40 E (before my milk came
in). How can I do this?

I put the baby's head and neck, and my breast on a small travel pillow.
Equally sufficient would be a small towel folded into a small pillow.
I found it positions everything a bit better. (I think I'm about a
42DD ATM.)

Then you need support behind your back. I get DH to cram a couple of
pillows against my back to lean against.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 4th 04, 10:49 PM
A&G&K

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
I am just trying to find time to lurk and join in here. Some here from MKP
may recognize me.

My name is Jill, and I am 34 weeks pregnant with my first (a girl). I have
decided to breastfeed, and haven't yet been able to take a bf class but am
going to very soon-- I am due in May! (I'm in North Carolina, USA)

I feel a bit lost, because I don't know much about breastfeeding but have
picked up some good info on misc.kids.pregnancy. I do feel lost because,
sadly, all the people around me who have had babies have formula fed, and

so
has everyone in the family, even both grandmas! I'm going to have to find

link through the hospital to get in touch with a group of local bf'ing

moms
for support. I am very determined to breastfeed for as long as possible,

not
just a few weeks etc.

So, I probably have some silly and basic questions, and need

recommendations
on everything, especially products and supplies! I will try to use google
and lurk for a while so I won't be asking the same old repetitive

questions.

But I would like to ask....what do I need to have on hand to get started??

want to be sure I have the few things I need before I have the baby so I

can
just focus on the baby when we get home and can just go to it!

Jill

HI Jill (waves from mkp)
Welcome to the group.
As for what you need, you might like to have the number of an LC handy or
ask q's here - you will usually get an answer quickly enough. A good
resource book or web page (e.g. ABA page -
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/ ) can also give you quick answers to
"emergencies" ... like how to prevent / deal with mastitis etc. Make sure
you have some breastpads and some lansinoh cream (just in case). I found a
plain old pillow raised DD to the right height for bf .... but be prepared
to cover it and your comfy chair up with a few cloth nappies to catch any
"spillage" DD would almost always spit up just a little bit of milk
after every feed (don't panic if this happens unless its heaps (and I mean a
lot) and it is discoloured or smells terrible or baby is really upset).
Get the LC to watch you latch baby on in hospital and observe feeding - s/he
may be able to give you some pointers. Remember that if the latch hurts
you, unlatch and re-latch so that it doesn't hurt or you can end up with
bigger probs.

.... oh and feel free to ask q's that you have ... no need to google
everything as people here generally understand that sometimes you just don't
have the time or patience to google to see if anyone else has had the same
experence.

....gee that's all I can think of now ..
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 5th 04, 02:01 AM
Elana Kehoe

Default Nursing Lying Down (was Quick introduction of myself :))

Carol Ann wrote:

If you can figure out nursing lying down (it's not too hard, but I think
it depends on how large your breasts are), that is great for the middle
of the night nursings.

Good luck!!

I'm having difficulty with this one. I'm about a 40 E (before my milk came
in). How can I do this?

I'm a 36-barely C. But there are others on here who have done it. So I
changed the thread title hoping someone else will answer it.

--
It's Tis Herself!
Old April 5th 04, 03:26 AM
JennP

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

It IS important to think a few steps ahead though. Having your drink,
telephone and remote nearby is very important. I can't tell you how many
times the phone rang and I couldn't get to it b/c I left it in the other
room!

My friend used to have a little basket with the cordless phone, tv remote,
water, a book readily available. Whenever her baby needed to nurse, she'd
just grab the basket and put it right next to her.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old April 5th 04, 03:27 AM
JennP

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

I'm having difficulty with this one. I'm about a 40 E (before my milk

came
in). How can I do this?

Just practicing? You might find it easier to prop her toward you with a
little pillow. There was no way I could do it in the beginning. It took some
practice then I did it all the time.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

A quick birth anouncement ang Pregnancy 14 April 29th 04 05:37 PM
How quick the immunistation starts to work once get a flu shot? sams Kids Health 2 December 10th 03 09:48 AM
Quick feeder Spanannie Breastfeeding 1 October 11th 03 11:51 PM
Another Quick Announcement Cindy Camp Pregnancy 7 October 6th 03 04:35 PM
Quick Question - Might be a little long Paul Morris Pregnancy 9 September 25th 03 09:40 PM