inexpensive baby showers?

Old February 27th 04, 04:35 PM
Christine

Default inexpensive baby showers?

Any Ideas on how to cut the cost and still have a fairly nice shower...?

cut cost ie. prizes, favors, decorations..ect.
or any other way you can think of...

TIA...

Old February 27th 04, 04:51 PM
Emily

Christine wrote:

Any Ideas on how to cut the cost and still have a fairly nice shower...?

cut cost ie. prizes, favors, decorations..ect.
or any other way you can think of...

TIA...

My baby shower with DS was basically an afternoon party, with
some appertizer snacks (a plate from a mediterranean place,
some sushi, some cookies, and some juice-like drinks). I think
the hostess put up some balloons.

Because I was uncomfortable asking for gifts (even though it
was someone else throwing the party for me), we asked people
to bring songs to teach me (esp. lullabies). Most folks brought
gifts anyway, though.

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
#2 EDD 7/19/04
Old February 27th 04, 05:15 PM
Donna

"Christine" wrote in message
Any Ideas on how to cut the cost and still have a fairly nice shower...?

cut cost ie. prizes, favors, decorations..ect.
or any other way you can think of...

Oh sure. You can get rid of prizes and favors without thinking twice,
because they aren't necessary. Instead of thinking of a shower as akin
to a birthday party (with games and streamers and goodie bags) think of it
more as a sophisticated luncheon or cocktail party, where those things would
be not be just unnecessary, but actually inappropriate. Think lovely food
that you can (cheaply) prepare yourself (tea sandwiches, cookies, cakes,
devilled eggs for a luncheon, heavy hors d'oeuvres, sodas and wine for a
cocktail party), punch (again, inexpensive) with or without booze, and
elegant flowers (wild or a couple of bouquets from the supermarket). The
only entertainment you would need to provide would be what you would do for
a luncheon or cocktail party - introducing guests to each other, circulating
to keep the wallflowers chatting, and Great Aunt Myrtle's glass full, that
kind of thing. After the meal, the presents.

HTH

Donna

Old February 27th 04, 05:38 PM
Sophie

"Christine" wrote in message
Any Ideas on how to cut the cost and still have a fairly nice shower...?

cut cost ie. prizes, favors, decorations..ect.
or any other way you can think of...

TIA...

We just had one for a friend yesterday that shouldn't have cost much.
Everyone brought a dish. The hostess planned 3 games, and the prizes were
not expensive (candles, bath stuff, tin of nice cookies). I bought the
decorations, that ended up being half price, at Party Suppliers. No party
favors, people don't expect them I don't think. Pretty easy.