Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

Old January 23rd 04, 08:11 PM
Sophie

Default Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

My "source" told me that one, too, and it confused me. I couldn't figure

out
why I'd need cloth diapers if I used the Pampers she rec'd, she had to
explain that one to me. Lol! I notice that a lot of moms give the same
advice so that clues me in.

Same source that rec'd Pampers Baby Dry diapers, and since someone here
mentioned they smell strong, I am going to look our for that. That's why I
ask around-- what bothers one may not bother another so they wouldn't

think
to mention things like scent etc.

Cloth diapers are good for all kinds of things. Imagine my bewilderment the
first time I visited my then-boyfriend (now husband) in his barracks room
and saw a pack of cloth diapers. Hhhmmm, I thought, ready to run. Turns
out they're great for polishing boots too

Old January 23rd 04, 08:21 PM
Cheryl S.

"Katie" wrote in message
I keep hearing/reading this but our hospital (BC Women's
in Vancouver) now advises to not use alcohol, but to just
wipe the cord stump and area with water. I don't know
why they've changed their recommendation.

I've read that using alcohol kills off the beneficial bacteria that help
the stump detach. As long as there is no discharge or odor it doesn't
really seem to matter based on personal experiences I've read about
here, both using and not using alcohol. The universal advice I've seen
regarding the cord stump is not to submerge the baby until it falls off,
just give sponge baths. I never did anything to the stump at all. #1's
stump took 20 days to fall off, #2's stump took only 4 or 5 days.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old January 23rd 04, 08:44 PM
GoofeeGyrl

I'm really enjoying reading these as it's giving me some insight before I
have to hit the point and worry about these things... you said "Alcohol for
the cord, and cotton balls or qtips to apply the alcohol" That's rubbing
alcohol, right?

Yes, sorry

Old January 23rd 04, 08:58 PM
Plissken

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
| I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
| starters and items that are well-liked to try. I know it;s different for
all
| but I do hear a lot of the same opinions about good products etc. The same
| brands keep coming up in praise etc....I would like any suggestion or
rec's.
| I am going to ask about formla so those who is can tell me what works well
| for their baby so I will know, I hope to end up breastfeeding though....I
| know I won't use cloth diapers I will need disposables...
|
| 1. Best Baby wash?

Burt's Baby Bee's Products

| 2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I just buy store brand, unscented. No different to name brand and much
cheaper

| 3. best disposable diapers?

I mainly use cloth but always have some disposable on hand. Once again,
store brand, I prefer Equate at Walmart and it's way cheaper than name
brands

| 4. Good formula brand and type?

No clue, don't use the stuff. Have you checked out mkb? Its a great
resource for information on breastfeeding.

| 5. Best diaper rash cream?

Never had to use any, DD has never had diaper rash but my friend recommend
Burt's Baby Bee cream.

| 6. Best bottles, brand and type?

I have Avent and Gerber bottles with Nuk nipples. It's not a good idea to
introduce a breastfeed newborn to a bottle until 6 weeks old as there is a
possibility of nipple confusion.

| 7. Best baby lotion?

Burt's Baby Bee's products

| 8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
| etc?

Baby powder is not recommended as it can be inhaled and damage baby's lungs.
Burt's Bees Baby Bee Apricot Oil is great I use it to massage my DD before
bedtime

| 9. Other good babycare products to have?

| 10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do
| need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

When you come home...diapers, a few sleepers, wash cloths/wipes, receiving
blankets, your boobs, that's about it. A newborn does not need much.

In my diaper bag I have diapers, wipes and change of clothes for baby,
receiving blanket a change pad, a snack for myself, and a toy that's about
it. I guess diaper rash cream if you need it.

As you can see I LOVE Burt's Baby Bee products!!

Nadene

Old January 23rd 04, 09:05 PM
Chotii

"Sophie" wrote in message
I went with the brand that I'd given my
son so long ago, but it disagreed with her so we had to try a few
before finding one she could tolerate.

Nan

I tried the same brand with #3 that I used with #2 but it disagreed with
him. I don't think you can choose formula beforehand.

Ditto. I never used formula with any of my kids except for 2 days (my idiot
Dr. told me to "Just pump and dump for 10 days" when she put me on Cipro for
an infection, rather than the equally-appropriate and breastfeeding friendly
Amoxycillin). Oh, my, it did not agree with my daughter!

But my SIL planned before the birth of her 2nd to "just use Similac like she
did with #1". Alas, it didn't agree with him. He wound up on Nutramigen for
a while (and she complained bitterly about the price, while refusing to use
any of the gallons(!) of perfectly good breastmilk I had in the freezer from
pumping for my twins).

You can't choose a formula beforehand. Well you *can*, but your baby has the
final veto.

--angela

Old January 23rd 04, 09:06 PM
Kari

"Nan" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:59:30 GMT, "Jody Pellerin"
wrote:

I'm really enjoying reading these as it's giving me some insight before I
have to hit the point and worry about these things... you said "Alcohol

for
the cord, and cotton balls or qtips to apply the alcohol" That's rubbing
alcohol, right?

It's no longer recommended to use alcohol on the cord stump. It will
dry up and fall off on it's own, if you just keep it dry.

Nan

I used alcohol with my first 2 and it was fine, didn't with my 3rd and it
actually fell off faster. Soooo, if I had to recommend anything, it would be
to do nothing.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xan man (3 mos)

Old January 23rd 04, 09:41 PM
Plissken

"Donna" wrote in message

| "Jill" wrote in message
| m...
| 1. Best Baby wash?
|
| I like the lavender stuff that Baby Magic makes.
|
| 2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)
|
| Whatever is cheapest and non-scented.
|
| 3. best disposable diapers?
|
| That is going to be entirely dependent on your baby, and it will change as
| s/he grows. My daughter started out in one brand, but as she got bigger,
| different brand/style started to work better for her. My advice: buy a
| couple of different brands of size 1s and see what works best. Some leak,
| some don't, and it's very individual.
|
| 4. Good formula brand and type?
|
| Anything with DHA/ARA. I alternated between the two major brands
(similac,
| and some other, which I forget), until I found something called Great
| Beginnings, which also has DHA/ARA but is about two thirds the price. I
| used that whenever I could find it. I have to say, though, nothing is
| cheaper, easier and better for everyone than nursing. The last thing you
| want to be doing is mixing bottles at 3:39am.

FYI
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/DH...-comments.html

"Varying or randomly adding fatty acids to formula does not always translate
into optimal delivery of these fatty acids to the infant. These fatty acids
were not approved by the FDA for use. They were simply allowed onto the
market with the stipulation of post market surveillance. This means give the
formula to as many babies as possible and see what happens. Since the
clinical trials (experiments on babies) were done on small numbers, this
allows the formula companies to have access to the entire population of
babies born in the US every year, 4 million. The formulas are under study by
the Institute of Medicine for safety. This represents an enormous
uncontrolled experiment that bypasses informed consent and is staunchly
defended by health care professionals who are wedded to the infant formula
industry."

DHA/ARA has never been approved or properly tested by the FDA.

Old January 23rd 04, 09:44 PM
Chotii

"Jill" wrote in message
m...

1. Best Baby wash?

All I can tell you is, don't even bother with those 'Johnsons Head To Toe
Cleansing Cloths'. What absolute rubbish. Not only do they not lather (even
though they claim to), they have to be thrown away afterward. Stupid. I
just use whatever lavender-scented baby wash is cheapest. I like the smell.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

This one I can't help you with, as I *did* make my own, serging together
5"x7" rectangles of flannel and old beach towels. I love the nappy texture
of the towelling, you just can't beat it for actually cleaning a poopy
bottom. I also use these for every other sort of small cleaning job (grubby
faces and hands, etc) and they wash with the (cloth) diapers. I've never
liked the slicky commercial wipes. Maybe somebody else has a better
suggestion.

3. best disposable diapers?

We used Huggies with the one kiddo who needed disposables. We bought them by
the case at CostCo, but they did leak with blow-outs so we put a cloth
diaper and diaper cover over them. (Pity the kid couldn't just use cloth,
but there you go.) Else we use Mother-Ease cloth.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

The absolute best we found, bar none - and this after trying everything
including Boudreaux's Butt Paste (what a name!) - was Triple Paste from
Summer's Labs (available all over the net - here's a good pictu
http://www.skinstore.com/store/produ...410&prodID=699).
I think you could mix your own, if you have beeswax - it's basically zinc
oxide, lanolin, and beeswax. It cured rashes nothing else touched.

7. Best baby lotion?

I never use the stuff. I don't like the smell, don't like lotion in general,
and haven't really seen the point, barring actual dry skin (which my kids
don't seem to suffer).

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

Never use talcum powder. If you MUST use powder, use one based on corn
starch (unless baby has a yeast rash, in which case don't use any). But
while the stuff smells good, it's bad to inhale. Avoid. Baby oil is based
on petroleum, and can be absorbed through the skin. Avoid.

9. Other good babycare products to have?
10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

When I leave the house, with a baby of any age, my diaper bag consists of: a
couple of age-appropriate toys (newborns of course won't need any), a diaper
or two in individual plastic grocery bags, which will be used to wrap
up/carry home/or dispose of aforemention diapers when used. An extra plastic
grocery bag or two. A couple of wipes. A flat gauze diaper or 2, for
drool/runny noses/spit ups. A change of clothes is typically kept in the
car. Most of my children have not been spitter-uppers. One was: we kept at
least 1 if not 2 complete changes of clothes for her.

My diaper bag is small. I carry as little as possible, because I'm generally
herding 3 kids (6, 4 and 4) and pushing the baby in the stroller. I don't
want to muck with anything I don't NEED, and generally I don't NEED anything
at all. So I compromise.

--angela

Old January 23rd 04, 10:07 PM
Cheryl S.

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
1. Best Baby wash?

I'm using J&J Head to Toe right now but I don't think it's the best.
I'll be looking at what other people have recommended for this.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I prefer Pampers wipes to any others I've used. The store brands I've
tried are smaller and not as soft. The Huggies wipes are also good but
I prefer Pampers to Huggies because the Pampers "pop" up, like Kleenex.

3. best disposable diapers?

Depends on your baby's shape. E.g. Huggies have never worked for me at
all, but they must work for others since it's such a big seller. I
loved BRU store brand for #1. They have changed them since then and I
didn't like them when I tried them for #2, plus it is harder to make the
special trip just for diapers now with two kids. I have caved in and
just buy them at the grocery store because I need the convenience. So I
am using Luvs this time and like them quite well.

4. Good formula brand and type?

Never used any.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

A&D cream is good. Note there is also A&D ointment. Don't get the
ointment for a diaper rash though. According to my pediatrician, the
ointment doesn't help because it keeps the skin too moist.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

N/A.

7. Best baby lotion?

Aquaphor

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby

oil,
etc?

Never use either. Powder and baby oil are both very dangerous if
aspirated/inhaled.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

Comb, brush, little nail scissors, baby washcloths

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home,

Diapers, wipes, breasts, onesies, sleepers, a few receiving blankets,
and a place for baby to sleep. A big water bottle for yourself is handy
too. You will be thirsty while nursing so keep it with you. _The
Nursing Mother's Companion_ by Kathleen Huggins is an excellent
reference that will help you succeed at breastfeeding.

and what do I
need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

I pack:
4 diapers (be sure to keep the current size in the bag! They go through
sizes quick in the first few months and I have been stuck with too-small
diapers before),
two travel packs of wipes (the one I'm using, and a new one in case it
runs out),
a onesie and sleeper in case of diaper blow-out (again, keep up with the
current size!),
changing pad,
plastic bag in case of dirty clothes,
a spit-up towel, and