Autism - medication to be avoided? please help

Old February 16th 04, 08:23 AM
starbar

Default Autism - medication to be avoided? please help

Dear all,
I have a neighbour with an autistic (fagile-X syndrome) 13 year old
who violently attacks her sometimes. His mother does not speak
english too well (and has asked for my help). I am concerned as she
gives him medication for his congestion containing sudoeffadrine and
also Sudafed etc.
I have heard there are certain medications that one should avoid
giving autistic children but have not had much joy finding info on the
web.
We would be most appreciative if anyone could shed some light on this
subject. Any advice about medications and food aditives concerning
autism are very welcome.

Thanks for your time
Regards
Sarah
Old February 16th 04, 12:23 PM
Jeff

"starbar" wrote in message
om...
Dear all,
I have a neighbour with an autistic (fagile-X syndrome) 13 year old
who violently attacks her sometimes. His mother does not speak
english too well (and has asked for my help). I am concerned as she
gives him medication for his congestion containing sudoeffadrine and
also Sudafed etc.
I have heard there are certain medications that one should avoid
giving autistic children but have not had much joy finding info on the
web.
We would be most appreciative if anyone could shed some light on this
subject. Any advice about medications and food aditives concerning
autism are very welcome.

I don't have the slightest idea. I do have a suggestion, however. It might
help if you go the child's next doctor's visit. You might be able to help
translate for the doctor

Jeff

Thanks for your time
Regards
Sarah

Old February 16th 04, 01:44 PM
Mark ProbertFebruary 15, 2004

"starbar" wrote in message
om...
Dear all,
I have a neighbour with an autistic (fagile-X syndrome)13 year old
who violently attacks her sometimes. His mother does not speak
english too well (and has asked for my help). I am concerned as she
gives him medication for his congestion containing sudoeffadrine and
also Sudafed etc.
I have heard there are certain medications that one should avoid
giving autistic children but have not had much joy finding info on the
web.
We would be most appreciative if anyone could shed some light on this
subject. Any advice about medications and food aditives concerning
autism are very welcome.

There is an autism support group on the alt. hierarchy.

Old February 16th 04, 06:20 PM
HCN

"starbar" wrote in message
om...
Dear all,
I have a neighbour with an autistic (fagile-X syndrome) 13 year old
who violently attacks her sometimes. ...

Fragile X syndrome is not autism... it is a chromosomal disorder that mostly
affects boys:
http://www.fragilex.org/html/summary.htm

Old February 16th 04, 07:43 PM
Mark ProbertFebruary 16, 2004

"HCN" wrote in message

"starbar" wrote in message
om...
Dear all,
I have a neighbour with an autistic (fagile-X syndrome) 13 year old
who violently attacks her sometimes. ...

Fragile X syndrome is not autism... it is a chromosomal disorder that

mostly
affects boys:
http://www.fragilex.org/html/summary.htm

and recently has been shown to cause a Parkinson-like problem in later life.
Many men are being mis-diagnosed with Parkinsons because of it.

Old February 17th 04, 03:01 AM
Mary Gordon

Below I've pasted what Fragile X is. I have son with a high
functioning form of autism, but he does NOT have fragile X syndrome,
and he actually is above average intelligence. Fragile X and autistic
kids may share some traits but they are not the same thing!! There are
support groups specific to Fragile X which is a genetic problem.

Mary G.

Fragile X syndrome, called Martin-Bell syndrome, is a genetic disorder
and is the most common form of inherited mental retardation. It is a
sex-linked genetic abnormality in which a mother is a carrier,
transmitting the disorder to her sons. It affects approximately 1 in
every 1,000 to 2,000 male individuals, and the female carrier
frequency may be substantially higher. Males afflicted with this
syndrome typically have a moderate to severe form of intellectual
handicap. Females may also be affected but generally have a mild form
of impairment.

Approximately 15% to 20% of those with Fragile X Syndrome exhibit
autistic-type behaviors, such as poor eye contact, hand-flapping or
odd gesture movements, hand-biting, and poor sensory skills. Behavior
problems and speech/language delay are common features of Fragile X
Syndrome.

People with Fragile X syndrome also have a number of recognizable
physical features, including a high arched palate, strabismus (lazy
eye), large ears, long face, large testicles in males, poor muscle
tone, flat feet, and sometimes mild, heart valve abnormalities.
Although most individuals with Fragile X syndrome have a
characteristic 'look' (long face and large ears), there are some who
do not have typical features.

Many hospitals and laboratories perform blood tests to diagnose
Fragile X syndrome. Several treatments are recommended for individuals
with this disorder, including mild medications for behavior problems
and therapies for speech and language and sensory improvement. Also,
families are advised to seek genetic counseling to understand the
inheritable nature of Fragile X Syndrome and to discuss with family
members the likelihood other individuals or future offspring may have
this disorder.