Peds want soda ban

Old January 9th 04, 05:24 PM
JG

Default Peds want soda ban

"Jonathan Smith" wrote in message
"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message

et...
"Jonathan Smith" wrote

In fact, many sodas have a lot fewer calories than
fruit juice.
Let's do the math, shall we?
1 cup (8 oz) Apple juice - 117 calories plus 129% of the Vit C RDA

(is
that what they still call it?)
OJ - 112
Club soda - 0 calories.
Cola - 13 calories per ounce
Lemon Lime (7-up) - 12 calories per ounce

So in your examples, all sodas have few calories per ounce than all
fruit juice. Plus Diet Coke and Diet 7-up have a lot fewer calories.
IME, most soda vending machines carry at least one diet soda.
Thanks for doing the math.

So Roger thinks "a lot fewer" calories is 1 or 2 calories per ounce.
Whoopeee. Nice spin. I can see your diet - well doc, I reduced my
caloric intake A LOT - from 3000 to 2700 per day - why am I not losing
weight?

I think you have a reading comprehension problem, Jonathan (a few
"regulars" here seem to; maybe you caught it from one of them!). Roger
said "Plus Diet Coke and Diet 7-up have a lot fewer calories." They do;
according to the "nutrition facts" on my cans, they have *0* calories
per ounce, which means they have (using your data) 12-13 calories/ounce
fewer calories than "regular" soft drinks (or 144-156 fewer calories per
12-oz. can) and 14-15 fewer calories/ounce than fruit juices (or 168-180
fewer calories per 12-oz. serving). Given that the "average" teenage
boy drinks maybe 5 cans of soft drink a day, and assuming they're the
"regular," sugar-laden type, he'd consume 720-780 fewer calories/day
simply by switching to "diet" soft drinks.

BTW, a savings of 300 calories a day works out to 109,500 calories (or a
little over 31 pounds) a year. Sounds like a reasonably safe
weight-loss rate to me.

Old January 9th 04, 06:02 PM
Mark ProbertJanuary 9, 2004

"JG" wrote in message
. ..
"Mark ProbertJanuary 8, 2004" wrote
in message news
AFAIAC, Roger was being Roger and using a sematic argument. I point

out that
it is subject to interpretation.

Quibblequibblequibble....quibblequibblequibble...q uibblequibblequibble..
.

Your argument that Roger was trying to what, pull one over on readers?
...play semantic games? ...shuffle? ...prevaricate? is both petty and
unprovable. FWIW, when someone around here says "soft drink," it's
taken by everyone I know to mean a carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage.

Non-alcoholic....

my point, exactly....

Old January 9th 04, 06:35 PM
Roger Schlafly

"JG" wrote
In fact, many sodas have a lot fewer calories than
fruit juice.
Let's do the math, shall we?

I think you have a reading comprehension problem, Jonathan (a few
"regulars" here seem to; maybe you caught it from one of them!). Roger
said "Plus Diet Coke and Diet 7-up have a lot fewer calories." They do;

JG, you have a lot of patience with these morons! Thanks for spelling
it out.

Yes, many sodas have a lot fewer calories than fruit juice, just as I
said. You can usually tell the low-calorie sodas because they say
"diet" on the can.

Jonathan tries to disprove a statement about "many sodas" by
showing that some sodas only have slightly fewer calories. Mark P.
tries to claim that "soft drink" means any nonalcoholic beverage.
I guess he thinks that the AAP wants a school ban on all nonalcoholic
beverages, including water, milk, etc. Does he expect all the kids to
stick to beer and wine?

Jeff thinks that water and fiber are nutrients, but that sugar is not.
He also says he had 10 hours on nutrition education in med school.
He doesn't seem to realize that the human body converts sugar
into energy, but not water or fiber. Or maybe he missed the definition
of a nutrient in his first day of nutrition class.

CBI seems to think that if you criticize an AAP opinion on usenet,
then it must be that you don't think that the AAP has any free
speech rights. Perhaps he thinks that only the AAP has free
speech rights to express opinions.

Good work straightening them out. I think that they all either need
to go back to schoool, or to up their ritalin doses.

Old January 9th 04, 09:09 PM
Mark ProbertJanuary 9, 2004

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...

Mark P.
tries to claim that "soft drink" means any nonalcoholic beverage.

I did not "try" to claim that. I actually claimed it.

If the AAP refers to 'soft drinks' then they are looking to ban all
non-alcoholic beverages.

I guess he thinks that the AAP wants a school ban on all nonalcoholic
beverages, including water, milk, etc. Does he expect all the kids to
stick to beer and wine?

Whats the matter, Roger, cannot handle it when a semantic argument goes
against you and you have to post something absurd?

Old January 9th 04, 09:18 PM
Roger Schlafly

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote
Do you have any real-world evidence that people make
decisions like this rationally, or is this mostly a
philosopical position?

Most kids do consume calories rationally. Some do eat too
much and some too little. While some kids may not make
good choices about beverages, the AAP cannot make the
choices for them.

Old January 10th 04, 01:00 AM
Jonathan Smith

"JG" wrote in message ...
[...]

Roger enjoy's the moving target. In the first post it was a slam on
the AAP statement that it was soda that was the exclusive taregt and
that of course was proved wrong - AAPO addressed the issue of sugar
laden drinks and that includes - by definition and by the AAP's very
own statement, non-carbonated sweetened drinks - FRUIT JUICES
specifically mentioned by name.

Roger then argues that soda has a lot fewer calories than fruit juice
- which of course is incorrect - then changes the definition to mean
DIET sodas. Now, diet sodas, of course, are NOT the target of AAPs
advisory - because they cleary talk about SWEETENED soft drinks AND
SWEETENED fruit juices.
But Roger get's his spin. By selectively focusing on the soda part of
sweetened drinks and then taking the sweetened out of the soda, he
thinks he has made his point.

And he has.

I thought that when he wrote "In fact, many sodas have a lot fewer
calories than
fruit juice." he actually was on topic with the AAP sweetened drink
position.

And I now know better than to even think anything that Roger posts is
accurate, balanced or informative.

Thanks for pointing it out.

js
Old January 11th 04, 07:37 PM
CBI

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"Jeff" wrote
But you are still missing some nuitrition, including

fiber.

So now you think that water and fiber have nutrition, but

sugar
does not! You must not have even received 5 minutes of
nutrition instruction in medical school.

What nutrition course did you take that suggests the average
high school student would benefit from a supplement of
refined carbohydrates?

--
CBI, MD

Old January 11th 04, 07:42 PM
CBI

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote in message
om...

Slippery-slope arguments, though, tend to involve a lot of
hypotheticals and get very heated because they rely on
assumptions and extrapolations that depend a great deal
on the basic worldviews of the people involved.

They are well recognized as a falacious form of argument.

--
CBI

Old January 11th 04, 07:42 PM
CBI

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"Elizabeth Reid" wrote
Do you have any real-world evidence that people make
decisions like this rationally, or is this mostly a
philosopical position?

Most kids do consume calories rationally. Some do eat too
much and some too little. While some kids may not make
good choices about beverages, the AAP cannot make the
choices for them.

So we should let Coke and Pepsi do it?

--
CBI, MD

Old January 11th 04, 07:51 PM
CBI

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote in message
om...
"Roger Schlafly" wrote in

message
et...

Most kids do consume calories rationally.

Do you have any evidence for this, or is it a

philosophical
position?

I think anyone with experience with kids would recognize
this to be false. If you put sweets in front of kids they
will eat them, not rationally weight the pro's and con's of
consuming them.

While some kids may not make
good choices about beverages, the AAP cannot make the
choices for them.

Yeah, I don't think they can either. The logistics of
making sure that there's a member of the AAP right next
to each child about to make a beverage choice seem
prohibitively complicated. That's why it might make
more sense for them to recommend a broad-based measure
such as removing soda machines from schools.

....and then letting the parents make the choices.

--
CBI, MD