Peds want soda ban

Old January 11th 04, 07:51 PM
CBI

Default Peds want soda ban

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"Jonathan Smith" wrote
It is their responsibility to support the needs of the

people they
represent. In the case of the AAP, it is a

recommendation that raises
public awareness. In the case of the state of Maine,

the mandate came
from a student/parent/nutrition committee - this wasn't

something some
loud mouth bureaucrat dreamed up - it was grass roots.

The AAP is raising public awareness, but it is also

spreading
misinformation, because it implies that soda is more

fattening than
fruit juice. In fact, many sodas have a lot fewer calories

than
fruit juice.

Actually, the AAP is not in favor of kids drining a lot of
juice either.

--
CBI, MD

Old January 11th 04, 07:52 PM
CBI

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"Jonathan Smith" wrote
The AAP is raising public awareness, but it is also

spreading
misinformation, because it implies that soda is more

fattening than
fruit juice.

No, Roger, you are by suggesting that the AAP

recommendation implies
that fruit juices are somehow better than sweetened soft

drinks.

The AAP *is* implying that. I refer to the AAP statement

he

AAP SAYS SOFT DRINKS IN SCHOOLS SHOULD BE RESTRICTED
In a new policy statement, "Soft Drinks in Schools," the

American Academy of
Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that school districts should

consider
restricting the sale of soft drinks to safeguard against

health problems
that result from overconsumption.
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/jansoftdrinks.htm

The complaint is about soft drinks, not fruit juices.

So it is your possition that everything they do not list in
the complaint is being promoted?

--
CBI, MD

Old January 11th 04, 08:02 PM
CBI

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...

CBI seems to think that if you criticize an AAP opinion on

usenet,
then it must be that you don't think that the AAP has any

free
speech rights. Perhaps he thinks that only the AAP has

free
speech rights to express opinions.

Ah Roger - once again it is you with the reading
comprehension problem (at least we will pretend that is the
problem since it is nicer than the alternatives). I do not
think JG should not critisize the AAP (or AMA or whatever).
I often am critical of the decisions of "the medical
establishment." I critisize her when she claims these
establishments shouldn't have the same freedom of speech
rights she claims for herself.

--
CBI, MD

Old January 11th 04, 08:06 PM
CBI

"Jonathan Smith" wrote in
message
m...

Roger enjoy's the moving target.

Yep - that is one of his favorite tricks. You appreciate him
well now.

--
CBI

Old January 11th 04, 08:07 PM
CBI

"JG" wrote in message
. ..

You know damn well (and if you claim that you don't,
search the mkh archives) that I've said, repeatedly, the

AAP can issue
all the recommendations and policy statements it wants;

I've never
called for censorship.

Bull****.

--
CBI, MD

Old January 11th 04, 08:12 PM
CBI

"bencon" wrote in message
m...
It does no good whatsoever to take
away peoples rights to consume soda, why should we do

that?

14 year old kids do not have a rigth to consume soda if
their parents do not wish them to do so.

The kids
will A. bring their own

Which the parents will have some chance of affecting. They
also probably will not be able to bring as muich as they
might buy.

B. buy it at stores

Which they can't do between classes at most schools.

and C. begin to view
soda as rebelious,

Soda hasn't been banned. They can still bring it in and
drink it right in front of the teachers and principle so it
would not be much of a form of rebellion.

We
need to teach kids the way to drink these things.

Yes, we do. Not sending them the message that a soda should
be available for consumption all day long and not
undermining the parents ability to control this would be one
small step in the right direction.

--
CBI, MD

Juices have JUST as
many empty calories, along w/ sports drinks. It is true.

Don't
remove the drinks, inform the kids.

Old January 12th 04, 07:21 PM
Roger Schlafly

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote
can exert control, but that control is most effective
when it's pre-emptive. It's less effective to decide
that yes, I'll continue to offer a jar of Hershey's Kisses
for the office on my desk, I just won't eat any, than it
is to decide that someone else can provide the candy. The
more obstacles between the person and the food, the more
chances they have for will to exert itself and turn
away from the item.

I don't agree. I think that it is better leave that jar of Kisses
on the desk until you learn the self-control to limit consumption.

Old January 13th 04, 03:25 AM
Roger Schlafly

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote
I don't agree. I think that it is better leave that jar of Kisses
on the desk until you learn the self-control to limit consumption.

Better how? Better as in more in keeping with Roger
Schlafly's views and opinions, or better as in more
likely to work?

Both. I have heard of people who otherwise seem to have
their lives together, but say that they cannot keep any food in
the house. If they do, then they will eat it and get fat.

IMO, that is no way to live, and it is impractical for most
people as well. I say, go ahead and keep that jar of Kisses,
and pig-out on them in a moment of weakness. You'll get
over it, and you'll be better off in the long run.

You still haven't provided any evidence for your assertion
that most kids tend to choose their food rationally (despite

Again, just personal experience. Most kids will eat when they
are hungry, and stop when they are full. (Some do get fat, of
course, and various explanations have been given for that.)

your own admission, in another thread, that your child would
overconsume candy if allowed to do so). Evidence?

I don't think that I said "overconsume". She would spoil her
dinner by nibbling on candy beforehand. I think I said that I'd
rather that she didn't do that. Not a very controversial remark,
I don't think.

Old January 13th 04, 08:49 PM
Roger Schlafly

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote
IMO, that is no way to live, and it is impractical for most

You'd like these people you know to stop doing something
that works for them just fine, ...

You keep misrepresenting what I said. It is ok with me if they
are doing something that works.

Old January 19th 04, 02:41 AM
JG

"bencon" wrote in message
m...

Jeff, I understand your point, but we need to look at this from a
different angle. We shouldn't teach children to hoarde soda when they
can get it, we should teach them that to lead a healthy life, they
need to drink it in moderation. It does no good whatsoever to take
away peoples rights to consume soda, why should we do that? The kids
will A. bring their own B. buy it at stores and C. begin to view
soda as rebelious, (which we know is not a good thing w/ kids). We
need to teach kids the way to drink these things. Juices have JUST as
many empty calories, along w/ sports drinks. It is true. Don't
remove the drinks, inform the kids.

BINGO!!! applause Kids must learn to make responsible choices and
they can't do that when "bad" options are excluded.