Swimming classes ineffective

Old June 18th 09, 06:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Ignoramus18183

Default Swimming classes ineffective

My older son attended numerous swimming classes, which still could not
teach him to swim. My observation was that they taught him everything
except swimming, such as splashing water, jumping in water, etc.

This is understandable from a commercial point of view, as it is much
more profitable to conduct 20 lessons, fill out hopeful report cards,
give stickers, etc as opposed to teaching someone to swim in 3 lessons
or so.

But I am a little tired of this BS and would like to inquire as to how
I can find an effective program that can teach a 8 year old to swim,
as in being able to get from point A, to point B, over deep water, without
sinking.

I recall my own past experience as a few frustrating "lessons" from
Dad, which led to nothing, followed by accidentally encountering deep
water on a lake beach, which led to "mastering swimming in 3
seconds".

Old June 18th 09, 06:16 PM posted to misc.kids
The Ranger[_3_]

Ignoramus18183 wrote in message
My older son attended numerous swimming classes,
which still could not teach him to swim. My observation
was that they taught him everything except swimming,
such as splashing water, jumping in water, etc.

The lessons and programs my three daughter-units have attended were nothing
like the observations you experienced... Except for the infant/toddler set.
Quite the opposite as a matter of fact for my three human otters.

I recall my own past experience as a few frustrating "lessons" from
Dad, which led to nothing, followed by accidentally encountering deep
water on a lake beach, which led to "mastering swimming in 3
seconds".

So throw your son in the water off a boat and give him the same opportunity
to learn on the go. If he doesn't, you've rid yourself of the albatross
around your neck.

The Ranger

Old June 18th 09, 11:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Swimming lessons, just like any other subject, can be well-taught or
poorly-taught. Where we live, we've had poor teachers at our local
public pool, excellent teachers at our local public school, and
excellent teachers at our local YMCA. Ultimately, we switched to
private teachers, whom we think offer better price/performance. We
looked for teachers who were recommended by friends and teachers with
WSI certification.

Ask around to find out who offers good swimming lessons in your area.
Don't just sign up for a pig-in-a-poke.

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old June 19th 09, 04:37 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On 18 Jun 2009 22:15:15 GMT, (Beth Kevles) wrote:

Hi --

Swimming lessons, just like any other subject, can be well-taught or
poorly-taught. Where we live, we've had poor teachers at our local
public pool, excellent teachers at our local public school, and
excellent teachers at our local YMCA. Ultimately, we switched to
private teachers, whom we think offer better price/performance. We
looked for teachers who were recommended by friends and teachers with
WSI certification.

Ask around to find out who offers good swimming lessons in your area.
Don't just sign up for a pig-in-a-poke.

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.

It also depends a lot on readiness. My dgd learned very little from
her group classes last year at 5.5. She did pass her *water strong*
test, where she jumped in without goggles and with clothes on and swam
back to the side, but she only did that once and it took us 20 minutes
of coaxing her to get her to jump in.

This year at 6.5, she's a fish. An older neighbor girl got her to
take off the goggles and she started jumping off the diving board and
swimming to the side about a week ago. She is currently taking
lessons privately from a lady who has her own pool. She learned the
backstroke yesterday and showed me today. She was taught *chicken,
airplane, soldier* and picked the stroke up quickly.

She does better privately because there are fewer kids and she is not
as distracted when she waits her turn.

Motivation is key at his age. Is there an older boy he looks up to,
who wants to show him how to do things? My dgd learned to do a
handstand on the pool bottom from another older neighbor today.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 19th 09, 05:05 AM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"Ignoramus18183" wrote in message
My older son attended numerous swimming classes, which still could not
teach him to swim. My observation was that they taught him everything
except swimming, such as splashing water, jumping in water, etc.

Your local public school district will most likely offer lessons at the high
school pool. Check the paperwork that your child brings home from school, or
check the continuing education link at the school website.

Does your township/city have a public pool? They may offer lessons and Red
Cross certification classes.
My kids learned to swim at summer camp (church and YMCA).

Old June 19th 09, 02:21 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Ignoramus18183 wrote:

My older son attended numerous swimming classes, which still could not
teach him to swim. My observation was that they taught him everything
except swimming, such as splashing water, jumping in water, etc.

My oldest daughter took beginning swimming 3 times and passed it three
times, but was still not comfortable swimming. She didn't like to put
her face in the water. That's what the splashing and jumping in the
water part is supposed to do - make them comfortable in the water. If
they don't get to that comfort level, they will not learn to swim.

This is understandable from a commercial point of view, as it is much
more profitable to conduct 20 lessons, fill out hopeful report cards,
give stickers, etc as opposed to teaching someone to swim in 3 lessons
or so.

But I am a little tired of this BS and would like to inquire as to how
I can find an effective program that can teach a 8 year old to swim,
as in being able to get from point A, to point B, over deep water, without
sinking.

I recall my own past experience as a few frustrating "lessons" from
Dad, which led to nothing, followed by accidentally encountering deep
water on a lake beach, which led to "mastering swimming in 3
seconds".

I taught (I was a Red Cross WSI) with a man who did something like
this which he called "Breaking their fear of the water". He made the
beginners in the first class go off the diving board into the deep
end. Some of them did fine with this, and some were so stressed that
they threw up before every lesson. For the ones that can take it, it
is brutal but effective.

For the ones that cannot, it acts to reinforce the fear which will
take years to overcome. I taught an adult woman who tried many times
to learn to swim. She could float on her back fine as long as I had
one fingertip on her back (no pressure - just the finger tip on her
skin). If I removed the finger, she sank right to the bottom.

In my case I jumped off the edge of the Y pool and sank to the bottom
and had to be fished out with a shepard's crook. In the case of my
oldest daughter, she didn't really swim until I taught her breast
stroke. My second child would jump in the water at the slightest
opportunity - with or without clothes. Children are all different. I
suggest with your child that you exercise patience.