Help!

Old October 16th 04, 03:27 PM
Jack H.

Default Help!

The kids are now 2 years and a month. They have been eating ok, not a lot
but they are mostly healthy and growing so I guess they have been eating
enough.
They have been getting a bottle at night and in the morning for a while now
but recently Jonathan has been not eating a lot and wanting bottles during
the day and in place of meals.

I do not know what to do.
Perhaps he is bored with what we are feeding him so we try new things, but
they don't really like new things.

all help is appreciated.

Jack

Old October 16th 04, 09:31 PM
m.ackerman

Our pediatrician used to say "count what they eat by the week not daily".
Some days I remember Kathleen inhaling 3-4 apples and then not have another
one for the rest of the week. Does Jonathan have his 2 year molars in?
Sometimes they can be a bugger to come in and I know both my kids went off
eating. Also, growth cycles are so much more visual as they age. Even at
almost 10 (oh my gosh in just 3 months), some days Chris will eat 3
sandwiches when he gets home from school and then nix on dinner or eat a
huge dinner and ask for seconds, or not eat much of anything for the day.
Low and behold I see him grow another inch. Both kids (again 9 years 9
months) are 4'11"! Kathleen wears a size 9 women's shoe with a skinny size
1 or 0 junior clothes. I guess my point is they will grow and don't fret.
I also remember having cows about your kids age regarding their food intake.
Once I relaxed, it was easier for all of us.

Good luck

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Old October 17th 04, 08:57 PM
GwenO MS

Check with the pediatrician about how much milk they need, when they should be
off bottles -- maybe weaning them off the bottles will help. I agree with
stressing too much about what they eat -- if they are growing and healthy, they
are okay! I'd truly be more concerned about the bottle at night (especially if
it's before bed or in bed, and they haven't brushed their teeth AFTER getting
the milk).
Grandma Gwen
Old October 17th 04, 10:32 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Jack,

I would definitely get them OFF the bottle. The longer you wait, the harder it
will be, and it'll probably be hard enough now. I assume they are using the
sippy cup with their meals, how are they doing with those? By this age, the
bottle is merely a comfort thing at night, not something they need. He may be
getting bored with food, maybe he's just "lazy" when it comes to eating, either
way he knows those bottles are still in the house and that's why he's asking
for it during the day. Maybe you could tell them they can still have milk for
a bedtime snack (mine still do, with a graham cracker), but it has to be in a
CUP and they have to brush before bed. And make a big deal about how big they
are and that's why they get to drink from the cup, not a bottle, etc., etc.

Good luck,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old October 19th 04, 02:15 AM
m.ackerman

Getting Chris and Kathleen off of bottles was not easy either. They were
2.5 before they were off but I had to get inventive. I gave each one a
bottle, no milk at bedtime just water and never, ever juice, even during the
day. One night the twins were playing in the bed and lost their night
bottles. I looked but couldn't find them. They went to bed fussing but
with a promise I would look for them. After they went to sleep I found them
and promptly marched them to the garbage. In the AM they asked if I had
found them, of course I said no. Kathleen in her all knowing mind, told me
to go to Target to get more. My response was that the manager would ask if
I was buying the bottles for babies or big kids, and that they only sold
bottles to mom's with babies. Of course after a bit of protesting and a lot
of "not fair" it was accepted and that was the end of the bottles. It was
easier than a power struggle IMO.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95