Not a good antenatal visit

Old January 27th 05, 01:29 AM
Anne Rogers

There's plenty of precedent for trusts employing an independent
midwife to attend if they have no one available. They might try to
pull the "we have no one qualified" but per the NICE guidelines (as
Jean has quoted already) that's their problem and there are usually
solutions available. They cannot force someone to have a c-section
beacuse they have not bothered to adequately train their staff in
normal birth (there are plenty of opportunities for midwives to learn
about breech birth).

Loads of responses already, but when it comes down to it, if you don't sign,
they can't cut you, but being the NHS rather than private they have to
provide you with care, personally if I had a breech baby and my midwife
wouldn't deliver at home, I'd try to find an independent midwife, if that
didn't work try for an unassisted delivery, it may well be less safe for the
baby, but for the combines safety of me and the baby I'd choose unassisted
over c-section any day.

Anne

Old January 27th 05, 01:30 AM
Anne Rogers

bummer, you really are too late for a version now,

Why? I am unaware of any reason not to try a version.
It's beyond the optimal window of time, but if it doesn't succeed,
what have you lost?

true, but time is ticking to find someone to do it and there is a lower
success rate, so I guess that didn't come out right, I mean as long as you
are still pregnant you can try and shift the baby!

Anne

Old January 27th 05, 04:53 AM
Kelly

I'm thinking if the baby is actually up out of the pelvis, why not try a
version? Denise, it sounds like there is plenty of room in there for that
kiddo to be turned (obviously, as he/she has gone back and forth) A close
friend of mind had a version that "late" and did fine-all her babies would
be breech, transverse, vertex, breech, blah blah, up until the end.

Kelly

Old January 27th 05, 04:54 AM
Kelly

The fact that the baby has gone back and forth is a good sign that there's
plenty of room in there. Sometimes I think babies are breech for a
*reason.* This baby is sounding indecisive and looking for a comfy position
no matter what it is.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Wildwookie wrote:

She has booked me in for an ultrasound on Wednesday afternoon to find
out what is going on. If the baby is breech I'll then be scheduled for
a c-section, which has me worried sick.

Why on earth wouldn't they try an external version?
The likelihood of success is a tad lower this late, but on
the other hand, if the baby is breech, there was obviously
room to turn! I can't imagine going for a c-section without
attempting a version, unless there was some reason to believe
that the version would be dangerous.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 27th 05, 05:10 AM
Kelly

I think those babies that go back and forth can tolerate a version well and
that the success for a vaginal birth is high. A tall friend of mine was
talking about how her second baby was 9#10oz and a fairly "easy" delivery
and that it didn't look like she was pg with a big baby. Well, there was
lots o' room in there. I have lots of room, too, and I am fairly average to
less than average size.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

Kelly wrote:

The fact that the baby has gone back and forth is a good sign that
there's plenty of room in there. Sometimes I think babies are breech for
a *reason.* This baby is sounding indecisive and looking for a comfy
position no matter what it is.

I had a friend like that. She's 6'+ tall and long-waisted.
Full term, she had a wee bump that looked like me at 4 months just
because she had so darned much room in there. Her last baby was
flipping all over the place right up until the end. Her doctor
told her not to worry about it and said in her situation he felt
comfortable doing a vaginal breech birth if it came to that
(or trying an external version, depending on the situation).
It was all moot--baby decided to go head down for the birth.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 27th 05, 05:21 AM
Emily

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
I had a friend like that. She's 6'+ tall and long-waisted.
Full term, she had a wee bump that looked like me at 4 months just
because she had so darned much room in there. Her last baby was
flipping all over the place right up until the end. Her doctor
told her not to worry about it and said in her situation he felt
comfortable doing a vaginal breech birth if it came to that
(or trying an external version, depending on the situation).
It was all moot--baby decided to go head down for the birth.

LOL! At 5'2" and *short* waisted (even for my height --
I can borrow pants from my 5'8" step mother), I get just
huge by the end, show early, etc.

--
Emily
DS 5/02
Old January 27th 05, 09:42 AM
Anne Rogers

LOL! At 5'2" and *short* waisted (even for my height --
I can borrow pants from my 5'8" step mother), I get just
huge by the end, show early, etc.

I'm like that too, basically baby had no chance of moving past about 32
weeks or even earlier, thankfully at 28 weeks he was head down, LOA and
stayed that way, there was just no way he could move and he definitely
seemed to try! Oddly enough I don't show early, I can quite easily hide my
bump now (20weeks), because it's not really a bumps at all, just a slight
swelling! I honestly don't know where the baby puts itself, I looked up the
size it should be and it just doesn't seem possible that it is in that
space!

Anne

Old January 27th 05, 02:56 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Emily wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I had a friend like that. She's 6'+ tall and long-waisted.
Full term, she had a wee bump that looked like me at 4 months just
because she had so darned much room in there. Her last baby was
flipping all over the place right up until the end. Her doctor
told her not to worry about it and said in her situation he felt
comfortable doing a vaginal breech birth if it came to that
(or trying an external version, depending on the situation).
It was all moot--baby decided to go head down for the birth.

LOL! At 5'2" and *short* waisted (even for my height --
I can borrow pants from my 5'8" step mother), I get just
huge by the end, show early, etc.

Yeah, that's me. I look like a beached whale.
We threw a baby shower for the tall woman. She was about
a month from her due date at the time, and I was about
4 months pregnant. One of her friends at the party who
didn't know me asked if we were due at the same time ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 27th 05, 02:58 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

LOL! At 5'2" and *short* waisted (even for my height --
I can borrow pants from my 5'8" step mother), I get just
huge by the end, show early, etc.

I'm like that too, basically baby had no chance of moving past about 32
weeks or even earlier,

I wouldn't assume that--despite being short and short
waisted and *HUGE* I had a succesful (and easy) version at nearly
38 weeks.

Best wishes,
Ericka