"Safe" anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drugs?? Just recv'd my Hales

Old August 8th 03, 09:26 PM
Karen

Default "Safe" anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drugs?? Just recv'd my Hales

I have a psychiatrist appt set for Tues I cannot handle my overwhelming anxiety
any longer. This happend with DD#1, not #2 but now. I just received my copy
of Hales and am trying to figure out how to use it. Most of the drugs I have
been on before were L3 and I am suspecting not great in a breastfeeding mother.
Does anyone else have experience with anti-anxiety medications and what were
you put on?? I would like to go to Dr armed with as much info as possible
along with my book. Thanks.
Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03
Old August 8th 03, 09:55 PM
iphigenia

Karen wrote:
Does anyone else
have experience with anti-anxiety medications and what were you put
on?? I would like to go to Dr armed with as much info as possible
along with my book.

Zoloft is THE preferred AD for nursing mothers, and there are many, many
nursing mothers taking it (including me). Second in order of preference is
Paxil. Paxil, however, can be really difficult to wean from.

As for anti-anxiety, most of the benzodiazepines are not preferred for
nursing mothers; they have long half-lives and tend to be addictive.
Buspirone might be a better choice, according to Hale, because it has a
short half-life and does not induce sedation or addiction.

Personally, with the caveat that I know nothing whatsoever of your medical
history, my first plan of action would be to try the Zoloft and look for
non-pharmaceutical methods of dealing with anxiety.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 8th 03, 11:37 PM
Karen

iphigenia wrote:

Zoloft is THE preferred AD for nursing mothers, and there are many, many
nursing mothers taking it (including me). Second in order of preference is
Paxil. Paxil, however, can be really difficult to wean from.

That is great I have been on both before without adverse side effects in
addition Pamelor came up under Zoloft in Hales it is also L2 and I have used it
before.

As for anti-anxiety, most of the benzodiazepines are not preferred for
nursing mothers; they have long half-lives and tend to be addictive.
Buspirone might be a better choice, according to Hale, because it has a
short half-life and does not induce sedation or addiction.

Personally, with the caveat that I know nothing whatsoever of your medical
history, my first plan of action would be to try the Zoloft and look for
non-pharmaceutical methods of dealing with anxiety.

Maybe the antidepressant will alleviate some of the anxiety that I have been

having. I am prone to anxiety/panic attacks which have not happend, but I
worry so much about so many things that it keeps me up at night. All three of
the drugs I was on prior to pg are L3 so they are out. I think maybe I have
been beating myself up because DD has grown too big for her bassinet and I know
she needs to be moved to her own room and crib, DH does not believe in
co-sleeping with an infant. We are both larger people and we have a soft sided
water bed. The other girls eventually ended up in our bed for long periods of
time but they are older. Thanks for the info I will just keep taking deep
breaths...............

Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03
Old August 10th 03, 06:34 AM
Corinne

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is EXCELLENT and safe. Good luck!!

Corinne

--
"Since AP parents are accused of "spoiling" their children with
responsiveness, love, understanding, patience, positive interaction,