Nursing With One Breast

Old May 16th 06, 03:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Nursing With One Breast

I mentioned this a bit before, but wanted to find out some info.

I have had several surgeries this year on my right breast so most of
what Ronnie gets is from the left side.

Lately it has been like nursing a newborn. Every two hours he wants to
eat. He comfort nurses on the side that isn't really making much milk at
all.

He started solids last week, but that was short lived and now just wants
mommy again.

Has anyone had to nurse on one side for prolonged periods of time or
forever and does it get easier? Any advice on making life a bit easier.
I can't seem to get enough pumped for his cup to get a break either.

Jo
Old May 17th 06, 06:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jo wrote:

I have had several surgeries this year on my right breast so most of
what Ronnie gets is from the left side.

I wouldn't worry about this overly much, particularly since you've done
well this far; I've known a number of women who successfully nursed
twins, which can't be so very different.

Lately it has been like nursing a newborn. Every two hours he wants to
eat. He comfort nurses on the side that isn't really making much milk at
all.

He started solids last week, but that was short lived and now just wants
mommy again.

Has anyone had to nurse on one side for prolonged periods of time or
forever and does it get easier? Any advice on making life a bit easier.
I can't seem to get enough pumped for his cup to get a break either.

Sounds like a growth spurt to me. I remember spells as long as a few
weeks in which my daughter was suddenly nursing nonstop again; usually
a week and a half was about how long it took, though. Baby is growing
and bulking up your supply Do all of the usual things to keep your
supply up; lots of water, oatmeal, etc., etc., and it should be a lot
more manageable before too long.

Best of luck!

Old May 17th 06, 08:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Jo" wrote in message news:l1lag.7

Lately it has been like nursing a newborn. Every two hours he wants to
eat. He comfort nurses on the side that isn't really making much milk at
all.

I hate to say it but my older boys nursed every two hours until I started
weaning, which was well past a year.

He started solids last week, but that was short lived and now just wants
mommy again.

I think you can expect times like this through out the first 18 months or
so.

Has anyone had to nurse on one side for prolonged periods of time or
forever and does it get easier?

No, sorry.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 18th 06, 08:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

He started solids last week, but that was short lived and now just wants
mommy again.

Has anyone had to nurse on one side for prolonged periods of time or
forever and does it get easier? Any advice on making life a bit easier.
I can't seem to get enough pumped for his cup to get a break either.

I haven't, but do know someone who has. While I think she had harder
and easier times, it generally worked well. I tandem nurse and have
sometimes found the constant demand overwhelming, though I think that I
might find nursing one baby on only one side harder than tandem nursing
with 2 sides available.

My nursing experiences tend to be cyclical. When I am feeling
overwhelmed, I remind myself that it will be easier again. It is
harder when you aren't able to just have him switch sides when you
don't feel up to nursing one side any longer.

It sounds like he could be having a growth spurt, not be feeling very
well or having a difficulty with milk supply. If it is a growth spurt
or his being under the weather, these will pass. If he is not
feeling well, he may be interested im solids again when he feels
better.

If it is milk supply, I think you are already doing the herbs. Perhaps
your body could be going through hormonal changes, like trying to
ovulate? While pregnancy may be highly unlikely, I know a few women
who suffered years of infertility, then went on to get pregnant quickly
while nursing.

I hope it is already starting to get easier again.

--Betsy

Old May 18th 06, 11:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thank you everyone for your input. I am hoping it is a growth spurt. He
has done the nurse all night thing for three nights straight, and
although I love nursing, I am so tired.

I am starting to wonder if it is a boy thing?

Glad to hear I am not alone in this. My girls didn't nurse this much
ever so I was starting to wonder.

Thank you again!

Jo