still pumping, and a question

Old May 22nd 06, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default still pumping, and a question

oregonchick writes:
: Hi all! I am still pumping twice a day, but at this point am only able to
: pump about 4-5 ounces at a time. I have plenty of frozen milk to last us
: till at least 9 months. What I am wondering is, how superior is fresh milk
: over frozen? Is there still a benefit to Emily getting a few ounces of
: fresh each day?

: Thanks to everyone for your support. I never would have made it this far!

: Betsy

Yes! As you nurse or express for a longer period of time, the antibodies
in you milk increase in concentration up to 2 years. The milk you are
pumping now has a higher concentration of antibodies than what you pumped
when she was a newborn, and freezing deactivates many of the antibodies.
Fresh milk is just what the doctor ordered.

Larry
Old May 22nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers writes:

:
: Unless the stuff in the freezer is going to go off before it can be drunk,
: I don't see any benefit in freezing the fresh that she's pumping. I'd give
: as much of it fresh as possible.

: rotating stash presumably, though of course it may be different here because
: of the quantities being produced and the amount needing to be defrosted each
: day, but if she's going to be giving breastmilk at 9 months I'd want it to
: be stuff frozen as late as possible

I disagree because I think that even frozen milk has a limited shelf life.
Therefore, when not feeding fresh milk, I would suggest using the oldest
stock first. I agree that it is questionable to freeze fresh milk when
you are not pumping as much as she is drinking.

Larry
Old May 22nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote and I snipped:

I am feeding the fresh stuff, and haven't been rotating, because we are
currently feeding milk that is about 5 months old. I have heard frozen bm
is good for up to a year, so I didn't figure rotation was that critical at
this point.

I wouldn't count on your frozen milk lasting a year. That sounds excessive.
LLL says 6 months or longer in separate freezer. Is that what you have?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Take care,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old May 23rd 06, 12:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"PattyMomVA" wrote in message
"oregonchick" wrote and I snipped:

I am feeding the fresh stuff, and haven't been rotating, because we are
currently feeding milk that is about 5 months old. I have heard frozen
bm is good for up to a year, so I didn't figure rotation was that
critical at this point.

I wouldn't count on your frozen milk lasting a year. That sounds
excessive. LLL says 6 months or longer in separate freezer. Is that what
you have?

Yes, I have a seperate deep freeze. But the milk isn't a year old, I'm
running about 5 months behind, so it's not even quite 6 months old.

Old May 23rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message ...
oregonchick writes:
[...]

So even if it's in limited quantities, it's worth it!