What Do You Drive?

Old July 18th 03, 01:49 AM
Meg

Default What Do You Drive?

Hi!

We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
"climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Megan
Mommy to Julia, 20.5 months
Twins EDD: Feb. 11
Old July 18th 03, 02:25 AM
The Fackrell's

We have a Ford F350, Quad Cab and all 3 fit fine in the back and then cargo
goes in the back ofcourse....we also have a GMC Safari MiniVan w/Van
Conversion....Lots of room there! the middle row are captains seats and the
3rd row is bench style...we put twins in the back and James gets in the
middle....the trick? We removed the captains chair closest to the side door
so we can access the 3rd row with ease!!! Plus, I just took a week long
"vacation" with all 3 kids (no dh) and managed to pack the van so that the
entire space that we normally have (where the seat is missing) was still
clear!!! and the only thing that I packed ontop of the van was our superyard
xt system (2 of them!)...I got the duoglider stroller and extra large
suitcase, plus various toddler toys packed just in the back *trunk* space!!!
I was quite impressed with myself! Although we prefer to use the truck
for major shopping trips we have used the van.....and if I forget to take
the stroller out, and we need space in the back, we can put the stroller in
thee "body" of the van, kinda in front of the kids and then load the back of
the van (basically if we don't want things going all over the place, this
way they are contained!) I can take pix if you like!! Though we wish it
were newer ('96) and had remote doors, we love it!!

--
Gwen, Designer Wraps
SAHM to James (9-98) Austin and Amber (5-02)

tired of eBay? Try these great alternatives!
www.tobuytwo.com ....auction house for families of multiples (but singletons
can use it too!)
www.familyauction.com
www.wahmall.com
www.wahmauctions.com

om...

Old July 18th 03, 04:09 AM
Chotii

"Meg" wrote in message
om...
Hi!

We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
"climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)

We have a Honda Oddyssey van. It had extremely good crash-test ratings at
the time we bought it (1999). At present, with a 5 year old, and 3 year old
twins, we have the twins in the back seat (one at either side of the bench)
and the 5 year old in one of the captain's chair. We removed the other
captain's chair, which gives us an enormous chunk of floor space, sufficient
for lots and lots of cargo, or diaper changes, clothes changes, use of a
potty chair, and sometimes 'picnics in the car'. We found a heavy thick
rug(?) at a thrift store, folded it in half, and put it over the floor to
cover up the metal brackets that hold the extra seat in, since they're hard
on the knees. The kids can climb in by themselves now, and even partially
buckle them selves in; we crawl in on our knees to do the rest. We can also
put a portable TV/VCR in the corner behind the driver's seat and all 3 kids
can see it while we take long drives.

Now that we're about to add #4 to our family, we consider our only viable
recourse to be to put in the second captain's chair, thus losing all that
lovely floorspace. But our other choices would be: to put an infant seat
between two shoulder-belt positioning boosters in the ba ck bench seat,
which would make buckling them nearly impossible, or to get a larger
(passenger) van. It's a shame. But it will work.

--angela

Old July 18th 03, 05:23 PM
Frisbee® MCNGP

"Meg" wrote in message
om...
Hi!

We are now trying to find the best transportation for a will-be 2yo
and expected twins (Feb.). Just curious what families with three kids
in carseats drive. We're looking at minivans...but where's the
storage/carrying space? Any other suggestions? (I've also checked
out a Ford Expedition, but I'm short and am not impressed by having to
"climb in" to get the kids into their carseats.)

Two words: Chevy Astro

--
Fris "Ruh Row!" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Old July 19th 03, 05:32 PM
Cindy Senger

We have a Chrysler Town and Country that we just love. The twins are in the
back bench seat and our new baby is in one of the captain's chairs. There is
plenty of room in the "trunk" part for a stroller and groceries. Plus, if we
need more room we can remove the one captain's chair. The van has one of those
automatic sliding doors which is wonderful-- it opens with a push of a button.
Some of the newer models have dual power doors and even a power trunk.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
says...

Old July 20th 03, 04:22 AM
Kender

2000 Ford Windstar with one middle captain's chair removed to create tons of
floor space. This is where I put my groceries! Twins in the back and Evan in
the other captain's chair. All three still in carseats. Only 1.5 more years!
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

Old July 20th 03, 12:51 PM
KimandJuan

I am curious if any one has attempted to put a booster and two infant carriers
in the back bench seat?

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

Old July 20th 03, 02:40 PM
Kender

Depends on the seats. The girls are in backless boosters and I can barely
squeeze between them when I ride back there. However, my rear end may be as
large as a carseat, sigh. The problem is there is no shoulder harness for
the middle seat in the Ford Windstar.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97