Amoxicillin May Damage Infants' Teeth

Old October 4th 05, 10:30 AM
Roman Bystrianyk

Default Amoxicillin May Damage Infants' Teeth

Steven Reinberg, "Amoxicillin May Damage Infants' Teeth", WFIE Channel
14, Evansville, IN, October 3, 2005,
Link: http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.a...32735&nav=3w6r

Giving the antibiotic amoxicillin to infants may contribute to problems
with the enamel of their permanent teeth, a new study suggests.

However, the study authors and other experts said the finding is
preliminary and more research is needed to determine if a
cause-and-effect relationship exists.

Amoxicillin is commonly prescribed to children for problems such as ear
infections and other bacterial illnesses.

"The changes in the appearance of the teeth in children that we call
dental fluorosis appears to be associated with the use of amoxicillin
during the first year of life," said lead researcher Dr. Steven M.
Levy, the Wright-Bush-Shreeves Professor of Research and director of
Dental Public Health at the University of Iowa.

Exposure to fluoride during the first couple years of life is the
primary cause of dental fluorosis, Levy said. Dental fluorosis is
permanent damage to enamel-forming cells. The damage causes the enamel
to become porous, resulting in staining and discoloration. The problems
can range from barely noticeable white flecks, to pits and brown
stains.

In their study, Levy and his colleagues followed 579 children from
birth until they were 32 months old. Every three to four months, the
researchers asked about fluoride intake and amoxicillin use.

They found that 75 percent of the children had been given amoxicillin
by 12 months, and 91 percent had received the drug by 32 months.
Overall, 24 percent of the children had dental fluorosis, Levy's team
reported.

The researchers found that the use of amoxicillin appears to increase
the risk of developing dental fluorosis. "Even after we adjusted for
fluoride intake, it appears there is a greater occurrence of dental
fluorosis in those children who had amoxicillin compared with those who
did not," Levy said.

The findings appear in the October issue of the Archives of Pediatric
and Adolescent Medicine.

The reason for the possible link between amoxicillin and enamel damage
is unclear -- and still not proven, Levy said. "We have to be careful
because this is only one study that has found this relationship," he
noted. However, Levy said these findings should be taken into account
when amoxicillin is prescribed to young children.

"This finding definitely does not mean that parents or children should
not be taking amoxicillin when appropriately prescribed," Levy said.
"It just means that we need to have science considering this as another
possible side effect."

One expert said the study hasn't proven a link between amoxicillin and
dental problems.

"It's a little early to try to create a link between amoxicillin and
fluorosis," said Dr. Paul S. Casamassimo, a professor of pediatric
dentistry at Ohio State University College of Dentistry and author of
an accompanying editorial in the journal. "At this point, it's a
statistical curiosity and not much more should be made of it until
further study is done."

Casamassimo thinks the first observations of this possible problem were
made by one dentist, and not enough study has been done to determine if
this is a real problem. "There are enough questions and areas of
potential bias in the reporting by parents that it really needs to be
studied more," he said.

More information

The American Academy of Family Physicians can tell you more about
caring for your childs teeth (familydoctor.org ).

SOURCES: Steven M. Levy, D.D.S., M.P.H., Wright-Bush-Shreeves Professor
of Research, and director, Dental Public Health, University of Iowa,
Iowa City; Paul S. Casamassimo, D.D.S., professor, pediatric dentistry,
Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Columbus; October 2005
Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine

Old October 6th 05, 09:18 AM
Forum Di Medicina e Salute

Default R: Amoxicillin May Damage Infants' Teeth

Sorry if My language is not very correct but I'm Italian. this is a very
interesting post. infact we have to think that amoxicillin is a very common
drug prescribed to our children. What will be the solutions? any ideas?
thanks Fabio
Milan (Italy)

For further information explore my web site
http://www.forumdimedicina.altervista.org/medicine (a medical forum in
english language)

see you soon into this newsletter and if you want also in my web forum
medicine.
Best wishes,
Fabio

Old October 7th 05, 01:59 PM

Forum Di Medicina e Salute wrote:
Sorry if My language is not very correct but I'm Italian. this is a very
interesting post. infact we have to think that amoxicillin is a very common
drug prescribed to our children. What will be the solutions? any ideas?
thanks Fabio
Milan (Italy)

This study seems to show that sicker children have more fluorosis. We
don't really know if the amoxicillin or the susceptibility to disease
or lack of health protecting nutrients caused more fluorosis. Were they
all exposed to the same amounts of fluoride. Hard to tell since
fluoride is in most foods, not on the label, and in varying amounts.

We do know that calcium, vitamin C and other nutrients protect against
fluorosis.

We do know that fluorosis and cavities occur more often in our poor and
unhealthiest populations.

And we know that children who go to doctors often were prescribed
amoxicillin. In fact, 90% of the children in this study received the
drug.

What we don't know is wheter children who were sick and didn't get a
prescription for an antibiotic had more fluorosis because that probably
wouldn't be in a doctor's record.

What to do? Make sure children eat a healthy diet that protects
against fluoride toxicity, builds the immune system and wards against
sicknesses in the first place. And avoid fluoride in any form. It's
not a nutrient or required for healthy teeth

NYS Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
www.FluorideAction.Net

Old October 7th 05, 05:43 PM
Forum Di Medicina e Salute

Default R: R: Amoxicillin May Damage Infants' Teeth

Thank you very much for all your informations!!!
Bye
Fabio from Italy