Just a vent...

Old May 11th 06, 07:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Just a vent...

Linda wrote:
Must admit I was pleasantly surprised to not be told off by the doctor when
I took DD for her 4 month checkup yesterday. We've also decided to delay
vaccinations etc and I fully expected to be told how bad that was, but all I
got was "well thats ok, just keep her away from too many other kids in the
meantime"

See, that's one of those things I don't totally understand. There are
quite a few people who have freaked out when we've said we're
considering delaying vaccinations for a little while. It's not like
we're telling people we're skipping them or anything, but most
reactions have been along the lines of "oh no, your child might die"...
By waiting until the little guy is 6 months instead of 2 months? It
was so terrible to me that the doctor is trying to scare us into
vaccinating right away by telling us about "all these babies that have
died because their parents didn't vaccinate for X". We were even
trying to go in there open minded about it...if he could give us a good
reason why we should do the birth Heb B shot, we would consider it. We
asked him about it, knowing that Heb B is transmittable through sex and
dirty needles (which our child obviously isn't going to have an issue
with right now) and he started going on about how Heb C is tramittable
through touching "dirty" surfaces. I said "but we're not talking about
Heb C, there isn't a vaccine for that yet". His response... "well,
there will be soon". Umm....ok.

You know everything's going downhill when he pulls out the "I went
through 4 years of medical school, 3 years of residency and I keep up
on my reading...you really need to follow the doctors recommendations
because the American medical system is the best in the world and no one
in the medical community is trying to do something that would harm
anyone."

Sigh...

Cristi :]

Old May 11th 06, 07:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

FlowerGirl wrote:
Any chance you think he'd read the AAP stuff if you sent it to
him (or got AAP to mail him directly).

I thought about it, but after getting his line of "I've gone through 4
years of medical school, 3 years of residency and kept up on my
reading"...(obviously the "I'm the doctor so you don't know what you're
talking about" line) I don't think he'd be interested in anything that
contradicts his opinion.

Anyone you know with older kids & pro bf who can recommend a good Dr to you?

I'm going to ask at the next LLL meeting and I called a few people too.
I called one other doctor and asked specifically if they'd be ok with
the vaccination issue and the receptionist said they'd be fine with
whatever we want to do and they "work out a plan for what's right for
each family". Sounds promising, but I think most doctors might say
that in passing without really meaning it. I'm glad the next LLL
meeting is next week. Don't have to wait too long to see if anyone
there knows a good doctor.

Cristi :]

Old May 11th 06, 07:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sidheag McCormack wrote:
Lol, that'll be why the US has worse first-month-of-life death statistics than
anywhere in the developed world except Latvia - somehow a :-) doesn't seem
quite appropriate.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/p...mothers.index/

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

I know! I read that article 2 days ago, so it was fresh in my mind as
he was saying how great the American system is. Not to say everything
they do is bad, but they're obviously lacking in at least some
areas...especially compared to other industrialized nations.

Cristi :]

Old May 11th 06, 08:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

LietoFine wrote:
We're definitely switching doctors. It's just such a small area up
here that there aren't necessarily a lot of choices. I'm trying to get
some recommendations from people and I'll ask everyone at the next LLL
meeting if they know anyone who's good.

Cristi :]

I don't know if you are AP or not, but there is an AP Dr. Referal group,
but they tend to list the bf friendly doctors as well.

You might find one in your area.

Jo
Old May 12th 06, 11:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Renee wrote:

And breast milk tastes different each time - depending on what you've
eaten, so your baby is already getting used to different tastes.

Okay, I've got it -- the MOM should drink the formula, so that her baby
will know what it tastes like ;-)

No, no, just kidding!

--Helen

Old May 13th 06, 03:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Renee wrote:

And breast milk tastes different each time - depending on what you've
eaten, so your baby is already getting used to different tastes.

Okay, I've got it -- the MOM should drink the formula, so that her baby
will know what it tastes like ;-)

No, no, just kidding!

LOL

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old May 13th 06, 06:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Linda" wrote in message news:4462a170

but all I got was "well thats ok, just keep her away from too many other
kids in the

meantime"

I don't get this advice either, though...I mean *most* kids these days are
vaccinated, right? So who are the ones carrying around these rare diseases?

Old May 13th 06, 06:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

CY wrote:

"I don't get this advice either, though...I mean *most* kids these days
are
vaccinated, right? So who are the ones carrying around these rare
diseases?"

In CA, there actually is a sizeable population of immigrant kids who
aren't vaccinated; I believe Hepatitis is a big problem. (Although we
didn't give Micah the hep vaccine...)

Our ped, while a huge proponent of vaccinations, has been really great
about not pressuring us to give all the vaccines, stay on the 'normal'
schedule, etc.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04